RE: [WarOf1812] Re: "Partisan" comments

  • Peter Catley
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 2 10:05 AM
      I agree with Tom,

      I certainly don't mind the public taking sides in good fun, but occasionally
      the sentiment slips a bit over the line and we have to do our best to
      prevent that.

      Generally the public are very appreciative of the efforts we make to bring
      our re-enactments to them and we were made especially welcome by the Irish
      when we took 70 redcoats to Collooney in Co. Sligo in 1998, the criac was
      superb. On the Continent of Europe the public make clear their appreciation
      of our efforts to go to their events. Perhaps the best reactions we get are
      in Spain where re-enacting is little known, at A Coruna in 1999 the crowd
      was reported by the papers as being over 35,000 and the British column
      returning to barracks, a march of perhaps a mile and a half, it was only the
      Colour party that retuned (complaining bitterly that they were "on duty")
      The rest had disappeared into the bars along the way at the invitation of
      the locals, such indiscipline is of course totally authentic!!

      Perhaps my best story was from Mississinewa in 2000. The public were very
      appreciative not to say staggered to find that a small number of us had
      travelled by air so soon after the 11th September 2000 attack, however one
      teacher asked me how often I practiced my English accent? I explained to her
      it wasn't an accent merely the way English was spoken, but she refused to
      believe me and suggested to her class that I was from Texas and was keeping
      up my in role character. Well, at that point a colleague joined me and asked
      a question and I replied colloquially, and the kids were convinced, but I'm
      not sure she was :-)

      Cheers

      P**

      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 2 2:46 PM
        I could have misunderstood, but it did seem like a don't like you. don't get me wrong, most are great people, but some are real red coat haters.

        Tom Fournier wrote:

        > Hi Kevin
        >
        > I am not challenging, merely seeking clarification ...good natured
        > booing in the spirit of the event or nasty, don't like you booing?
      • ebclemson
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 2 6:05 PM
          I would not be suprised that sometimes the crowd may boo,etc. It is human nature, if in jest and fun understandable, and if in hate, in ignorance but not suprising.

          In my civil War days, I was not only booed but physically attack while at an event in Arkansas, simply because I was talking to "Yanks". What was I thinking! <g>

          It may also depend on what event is being detected. Perhaps....maybe....the Americans would be booed if depicting the attack on York or reenacting the battle of Chippewa. Generally, most people respect the living historians from all sides.

          It is good to read Mike Mathews account at Fort Miegs, that even though the British were "invaders" that he was not booed.

          Dave Bennett

          1st U. States Infy.

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "PEGGY MATHEWS" <ciefranche21e@m...> wrote:
          > I remember at Crysler's Farm in '02 getting lustily booed by the public while marching with the US forces. Frankly didn't bother me one bit. We represented an invading force and the victory was something to be proud of, plus there was a cheerleader of sorts going up and down the rope line from what I heard. (I didn't see him.)
          >
          > Thanks to all the AWI "lobsterback" images and movies like "Patriot" we have nurtured and sustained a dislike for redcoats. At Fort Meigs last year I didn't notice the public showing such poor manners though.
          >
          > Michael M.

        • PEGGY MATHEWS
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 2 7:05 PM
            Well actually I was in the American camp with Plauche's battalion, so may have missed some crowd reactions. However, I would have to say that in my experience the area fans are very knowledgeable and polite. That plus the fine way reenactors are treated there accounts for the ten hour drive I take one or two times each year.

            Michael Mathews
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 2 9:39 PM
              Kevin us spectators on the side lines sometimes boo the American
              forces and being a spectator we don't know if it an actual American
              or a "cross dresser we boo in a jokingly tone of voice.
              Tracy

              <kevin.windsor@s...> wrote:
              > I have noticed that at events south of the border I (we) usually
              get booed going off or coming on the field, and at one event I was
              asked why a good American would want
              > to be a red coat. (he was surprised when I told him we were
              Canadians)
              > Do the American forces get this treatment when they come up here?
              (I know there are a couple of spectators on this list) Do Canadians
              who portray US forces get this? I
              > know we never have when we switch teams, but it could be because we
              are good looking!!

              > Kevin
              > 89th
              >
              > hq93rd wrote:
              >
              > > What a novel concept!
              > > You mean I can now, and finally -- after too many years, look
              forward
              > > to attending events and not having snide comments and looks
              directed
              > > my way (and usually behind my back) simply because I (a born and
              bred
              > > USA-ian) wear a red uniform?
            • hm95thfoot
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 3 5:11 AM
                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Tracy" <tracyforsyth@h...> wrote:
                > Kevin us spectators on the side lines sometimes boo the American
                > forces and being a spectator we don't know if it an actual
                American
                > or a "cross dresser we boo in a jokingly tone of voice.
                > Tracy

                At War of 1812 events we have always, as American citizens
                celebrating the accomplishments and memories of those who fought on
                the side of the Crown, been treated with the utmost courtesy, at
                least by the site staffs and visitors. The people at Ft. Niagara,
                Ft. Erie and Ft. George, as well as the NPS staff at Chalmette
                Battlefield stand out in my mind as being especially courteous and
                respectful.

                Every once in a while we encounter a somewhat misinformed visitor
                (rifle units tend to attract those....), whom we politely let ramble
                on, but most, just about all, really, were tickled pink that we,
                like all the other reenactors, had come to these places. When they
                learned where we were from, some were quite astounded that we had
                come so far, and were all the more appreciative as a result.

                On the Rev War side, if I may, it was especially delicious irony to
                be in French Quebec City and having les citoyens go absolutely mad
                in cheering us British redcoats a few years ago. Something I thought
                I'd never live to see. (Of course, they might have been cheering us
                because "we" saved them from the American invaders in 1775....)

                RWF
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 3 7:05 AM
                  From: "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@...>

                  The role of the Commentators is often significant.

                  ________________

                  I have found, since doing the narration at a number of
                  events that the commentator's remarks should be equal
                  about both sides and remember where you are ......

                  It is not nice to pee in the other guys sandbox!

                  I also make sure that they understand in order to have a
                  battle you need an enemy and some of the enemy are actually
                  "YOUR GUYS" cross dressing.

                  This usually deters the cat calls. Also with the march past at
                  the end of the tactical, especially if I can help it, both sides
                  receive good rounds of applause.

                  Larry Lozon
                • HQ93rd@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 6 7:27 PM
                    In a message dated 2/11/2003 9:47:29 AM, peter.catley@... writes:

                    > However in France one section of the British Army have been raised to
                    > Sainthood and that is the Highlanders, but only those in kilts I'm afraid
                    > Benton.

                    My dear Peter,
                    Are you insinuating I do not have, nor wear a kilt?
                    Tish tosh!
                    I lead the Highland Brigade on the "death marches" of 1990 and 1995 through
                    the ways and backways of Waterloo and Braine A'llude (sic) clad in kilt,
                    sporran and kilt-hose. Being at the head of the column I heard first off the
                    ecstatic cries of "Eccosais!!" from the locals, and watched the glasses of beer
                    appear out of pubs and houses to be offered the lads. I was also present at Boulgne
                    in '95, seeing more of the same.
                    Now, as I follow regs and as an Highland officer wear trousers and boots in
                    the field, does not mean I know nothing of kilts!

                    Yours, most bombastically,
                    93rd SHRoFLHU
                    THE Thin Red Line
                    www.93rdhighlanders.com