Re: "Partisan" comments

  • Tom Fournier
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 2, 2003
      Hi Kevin

      I am not challenging, merely seeking clarification ...good natured
      booing in the spirit of the event or nasty, don't like you booing?

      My experience is limited to my just completed first season of re-
      enacting but it did encompass events south of the border at Fort
      Meigs and Mississinewa. There would be a few jokes about the "enemy"
      but typically the public at both events were extremely welcoming and
      gracious. I was really struck by how appreciative they were that a
      group of Canadians would travel so far to help them celebrate their
      local event and local history. At both events, it really made the
      trip worth while!

      Tom, 41st Regiment

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Kevin & Allison Windsor
      <kevin.windsor@s...> wrote:
      > I have noticed that at events south of the border I (we) usually
      get booed going off or coming on the field, and at one event I was
      asked why a good American would want
      > to be a red coat. (he was surprised when I told him we were
      Canadians)
      > Do the American forces get this treatment when they come up here?
      (I know there are a couple of spectators on this list) Do Canadians
      who portray US forces get this? I
      > know we never have when we switch teams, but it could be because we
      are good looking!!

      > Kevin
      > 89th
    • Peter Catley
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 2, 2003
        To broaden the perspective a little, in the UK we find that the public do
        sometimes take an anti-French attitude at the Battlefield but rarely or
        never away from the field so I've not heard of anti-sentiments being
        expressed around the French camps although you do get the occasional
        jingoistic comments when talking to members of the public.

        I have never knowingly heard any spontaneous anti-Redcoat reactions when
        abroad, even in the Republic of Ireland, we did an event in 1998 at
        Collooney, in County Sligo which is pretty close to the boarder with
        Northern Ireland. The reactions to us in most European countries is
        excellent, I have often thought that this is mainly due to the fact that
        most crowds are used to the darker uniforms of the Imperial army and the red
        and our flowing Colours do make a strong contrast. However the strongest
        visual, impression is always made by the cavalry, their uniforms, horses
        and general appearance is stunning (but don't they know it :-))

        The role of the Commentators is often significant. We come across one chap
        in Northern France who is extremely rude (and inaccurate!) about the British
        Army and the British people, eventually we got one of our French speaking
        colleagues to talk to the crowd over the PA and he has been noticeably
        better since then! But the language does cause us difficulties. In the UK we
        try to be very careful to ensure that the crowd get a balanced view of the
        action and the history and avoid anti-French rhetoric. The difficulty is
        always avoiding giving the impression that the Reds are always good and the
        Blues always bad.

        However in France one section of the British Army have been raised to
        Sainthood and that is the Highlanders, but only those in kilts I'm afraid
        Benton. It is quite entertaining to watch the faces of the public when they
        discover that most of our Highlanders come from either the South of England
        (The men of Kent!) or from the Netherlands!!

        Cheers now.

        P**

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 2, 2003
          I agree with Tom,

          I certainly don't mind the public taking sides in good fun, but occasionally
          the sentiment slips a bit over the line and we have to do our best to
          prevent that.

          Generally the public are very appreciative of the efforts we make to bring
          our re-enactments to them and we were made especially welcome by the Irish
          when we took 70 redcoats to Collooney in Co. Sligo in 1998, the criac was
          superb. On the Continent of Europe the public make clear their appreciation
          of our efforts to go to their events. Perhaps the best reactions we get are
          in Spain where re-enacting is little known, at A Coruna in 1999 the crowd
          was reported by the papers as being over 35,000 and the British column
          returning to barracks, a march of perhaps a mile and a half, it was only the
          Colour party that retuned (complaining bitterly that they were "on duty")
          The rest had disappeared into the bars along the way at the invitation of
          the locals, such indiscipline is of course totally authentic!!

          Perhaps my best story was from Mississinewa in 2000. The public were very
          appreciative not to say staggered to find that a small number of us had
          travelled by air so soon after the 11th September 2000 attack, however one
          teacher asked me how often I practiced my English accent? I explained to her
          it wasn't an accent merely the way English was spoken, but she refused to
          believe me and suggested to her class that I was from Texas and was keeping
          up my in role character. Well, at that point a colleague joined me and asked
          a question and I replied colloquially, and the kids were convinced, but I'm
          not sure she was :-)

          Cheers

          P**

          <kevin.windsor@s...> wrote:
          > I have noticed that at events south of the border I (we) usually
          get booed going off or coming on the field, and at one event I was
          asked why a good American would want
          > to be a red coat. (he was surprised when I told him we were
          Canadians)
          > Do the American forces get this treatment when they come up here?
          (I know there are a couple of spectators on this list) Do Canadians
          who portray US forces get this? I
          > know we never have when we switch teams, but it could be because we
          are good looking!!

          > Kevin
          > 89th

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=267637.4116719.5338353.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050205
          36:HM/A=1754451/R=0/SIG=11tpj98m3/*http:/www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=601783
          23&partid=4116719> click here

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116719.5338353.1261774/D=egroupmai
          l/S=:HM/A=1754451/rand=204208216>

          square miles...

        • Kevin & Allison Windsor
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 2, 2003
            I could have misunderstood, but it did seem like a don't like you. don't get me wrong, most are great people, but some are real red coat haters.

            Tom Fournier wrote:

            > Hi Kevin
            >
            > I am not challenging, merely seeking clarification ...good natured
            > booing in the spirit of the event or nasty, don't like you booing?
          • ebclemson
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 2, 2003
              I would not be suprised that sometimes the crowd may boo,etc. It is human nature, if in jest and fun understandable, and if in hate, in ignorance but not suprising.

              In my civil War days, I was not only booed but physically attack while at an event in Arkansas, simply because I was talking to "Yanks". What was I thinking! <g>

              It may also depend on what event is being detected. Perhaps....maybe....the Americans would be booed if depicting the attack on York or reenacting the battle of Chippewa. Generally, most people respect the living historians from all sides.

              It is good to read Mike Mathews account at Fort Miegs, that even though the British were "invaders" that he was not booed.

              Dave Bennett

              1st U. States Infy.

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "PEGGY MATHEWS" <ciefranche21e@m...> wrote:
              > I remember at Crysler's Farm in '02 getting lustily booed by the public while marching with the US forces. Frankly didn't bother me one bit. We represented an invading force and the victory was something to be proud of, plus there was a cheerleader of sorts going up and down the rope line from what I heard. (I didn't see him.)
              >
              > Thanks to all the AWI "lobsterback" images and movies like "Patriot" we have nurtured and sustained a dislike for redcoats. At Fort Meigs last year I didn't notice the public showing such poor manners though.
              >
              > Michael M.

            • PEGGY MATHEWS
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 2, 2003
                Well actually I was in the American camp with Plauche's battalion, so may have missed some crowd reactions. However, I would have to say that in my experience the area fans are very knowledgeable and polite. That plus the fine way reenactors are treated there accounts for the ten hour drive I take one or two times each year.

                Michael Mathews
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 2, 2003
                  Kevin us spectators on the side lines sometimes boo the American
                  forces and being a spectator we don't know if it an actual American
                  or a "cross dresser we boo in a jokingly tone of voice.
                  Tracy

                  <kevin.windsor@s...> wrote:
                  > I have noticed that at events south of the border I (we) usually
                  get booed going off or coming on the field, and at one event I was
                  asked why a good American would want
                  > to be a red coat. (he was surprised when I told him we were
                  Canadians)
                  > Do the American forces get this treatment when they come up here?
                  (I know there are a couple of spectators on this list) Do Canadians
                  who portray US forces get this? I
                  > know we never have when we switch teams, but it could be because we
                  are good looking!!

                  > Kevin
                  > 89th
                  >
                  > hq93rd wrote:
                  >
                  > > What a novel concept!
                  > > You mean I can now, and finally -- after too many years, look
                  forward
                  > > to attending events and not having snide comments and looks
                  directed
                  > > my way (and usually behind my back) simply because I (a born and
                  bred
                  > > USA-ian) wear a red uniform?
                • hm95thfoot
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 3, 2003
                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Tracy" <tracyforsyth@h...> wrote:
                    > Kevin us spectators on the side lines sometimes boo the American
                    > forces and being a spectator we don't know if it an actual
                    American
                    > or a "cross dresser we boo in a jokingly tone of voice.
                    > Tracy

                    At War of 1812 events we have always, as American citizens
                    celebrating the accomplishments and memories of those who fought on
                    the side of the Crown, been treated with the utmost courtesy, at
                    least by the site staffs and visitors. The people at Ft. Niagara,
                    Ft. Erie and Ft. George, as well as the NPS staff at Chalmette
                    Battlefield stand out in my mind as being especially courteous and
                    respectful.

                    Every once in a while we encounter a somewhat misinformed visitor
                    (rifle units tend to attract those....), whom we politely let ramble
                    on, but most, just about all, really, were tickled pink that we,
                    like all the other reenactors, had come to these places. When they
                    learned where we were from, some were quite astounded that we had
                    come so far, and were all the more appreciative as a result.

                    On the Rev War side, if I may, it was especially delicious irony to
                    be in French Quebec City and having les citoyens go absolutely mad
                    in cheering us British redcoats a few years ago. Something I thought
                    I'd never live to see. (Of course, they might have been cheering us
                    because "we" saved them from the American invaders in 1775....)

                    RWF
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 3, 2003
                      From: "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@...>

                      The role of the Commentators is often significant.

                      ________________

                      I have found, since doing the narration at a number of
                      events that the commentator's remarks should be equal
                      about both sides and remember where you are ......

                      It is not nice to pee in the other guys sandbox!

                      I also make sure that they understand in order to have a
                      battle you need an enemy and some of the enemy are actually
                      "YOUR GUYS" cross dressing.

                      This usually deters the cat calls. Also with the march past at
                      the end of the tactical, especially if I can help it, both sides
                      receive good rounds of applause.

                      Larry Lozon
                    • HQ93rd@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 6, 2003
                        In a message dated 2/11/2003 9:47:29 AM, peter.catley@... writes:

                        > However in France one section of the British Army have been raised to
                        > Sainthood and that is the Highlanders, but only those in kilts I'm afraid
                        > Benton.

                        My dear Peter,
                        Are you insinuating I do not have, nor wear a kilt?
                        Tish tosh!
                        I lead the Highland Brigade on the "death marches" of 1990 and 1995 through
                        the ways and backways of Waterloo and Braine A'llude (sic) clad in kilt,
                        sporran and kilt-hose. Being at the head of the column I heard first off the
                        ecstatic cries of "Eccosais!!" from the locals, and watched the glasses of beer
                        appear out of pubs and houses to be offered the lads. I was also present at Boulgne
                        in '95, seeing more of the same.
                        Now, as I follow regs and as an Highland officer wear trousers and boots in
                        the field, does not mean I know nothing of kilts!

                        Yours, most bombastically,
                        93rd SHRoFLHU
                        THE Thin Red Line
                        www.93rdhighlanders.com