Re: [WarOf1812] Bernard Co rnwell/Sharpe News

  • petemonahan@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2003
      Tom
      Thanks for the news on Cornwall - who I gather was at the last "Napoleonic
      Warfare Fair" in the UK recently explaining why he writes good stories but poor
      history! (I agree on both counts by the way.)

      The next Sharpe looks to be vintage Sharpe and Harper, though I notice in
      they get chummier with each book even though the books aren't sequential. Oh,
      well, "cionsistency is the bugbear of tiny minds". :) Do you have an
      opinion on Heretic, by the way? I've just read the second in the series (Jester ?)
      and wasn't all that impressed - way too many clever coincidences and
      anachronistic behaviour, I thought. But I'll likely still read the next one too.

      Cheers,
      Peter Monahan, R. Nfld Reg't

    • abateman
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2003
        From: <petemonahan@...>

        > Do you have an
        > opinion on Heretic, by the way? I've just read the second in the series
        (Jester ?)
        > [Vagabond - A.B.] and wasn't all that impressed - way too many clever
        coincidences and
        > anachronistic behaviour, I thought. But I'll likely still read the next
        one too.

        > Cheers,
        > Peter Monahan, R. Nfld Reg't

        I'm in the middle of reading Heretic right now and I'm enjoying it. I think
        Cornwell has more wiggle room available re: historical events in this book
        because it is not set in the middle of a major campaign. Thomas is off in
        the south of France with a band of archers and men at arms looking for the
        Grail, and Guy Vexille, the cardinal, and the nasty local French count are
        after him. Add a beautiful blonde who has been convicted of heresy by the
        Church causing dissension in the ranks and Thomas has all the trouble he can
        handle. I'll need to re-read Vagabond to refresh my memory about some of
        the characters in Heretic, though.

        Andrew Bateman, 41st Foot
      • Tom Fournier
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2003
          Hi Peter

          I have not yet read Heretic, although I must admit to enjoying
          Vagabond. You see the Sharpe and Harper formula evolving in a
          totally different time period - all good fun!

          Ray Hobbs had noted that Cornwell is planning a tour to Canada in
          2004 to publicize the new Sharpe novel.

          Its too bad Sharpe is so busy, it would be great fun to see him shoot
          over to North America for a quick frolic in our time period before
          haeding back to his farmhouse in France in advance of Waterloo!

          Tom, 41st Regiment
        • Ed Seufert
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 2, 2003
            Its too bad Sharpe is so busy, it would be great fun to see him shoot
            over to North America for a quick frolic in our time period before
            haeding back to his farmhouse in France in advance of Waterloo!

            Tom, 41st Regiment

            Actually, someone else other than Cornwell has placed him at New Orleans. I was searching the web one day and found "Sharpe's Gator" at the following address:
            http://www.personal.usyd.edu.au/~slaw/SuesPage/Gator/

            Predictable Sharpe!

            Ed Seufert
            1812 Royal Marines

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • hm95thfoot
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 2, 2003
              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Seufert" <LCpl_RM@c...> wrote:

              > Actually, someone else other than Cornwell has placed him at New
              Orleans. I was searching the web one day and found "Sharpe's Gator"
              at the following address:
              > http://www.personal.usyd.edu.au/~slaw/SuesPage/Gator/
              >
              > Predictable Sharpe!
              >
              > Ed Seufert
              > 1812 Royal Marines

              Well, it's worth what its price is, I suppose. Fan fiction is more
              for the writer than for the reader. The fellow that wrote it sent me
              an email about it years ago, asking if he should put Sharpe in with
              the 95th who were at Bladensburg. I pointed out to him the trenchant
              correction that the 95th were NOT in the Chesapeake at all (despite
              what some greenjacket types told you at Bladensburg a few years
              ago :^) ), so the fellow changed the venue to New Orleans.

              It's all my fault. It could have been Sharpe's....Crab Cracker! :^)

              RWF

              PS: I asked BC at Kirby Hall in 1999 about a Sharpe's set in
              America, and he said that other than some Canadians, nobody else
              would buy it, since, acc to him, nobody cares or knows about the War
              of 1812. (He apparently also had a bad experience writing about
              British soldiers in American settings in REDCOAT.)