Re: Retaliation

  • hq93rd
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 2, 2003
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, historyatlarge@c... wrote:

      > An image of the artillery's final stand at Bladensburg
      > was painted by Col. Charles W. Waterhouse, USMCR, is
      > available as a print. I have much of the Waterhouse set
      > which includes the repulse of the Highlanders at New
      > Orleans and shipbuilding at Sackets Harbor.
      >
      > Cheers, Michael Whittaker

      Don't get me started on the inaccuracies contained in that
      painting...although it's nice to see the 93rd at least portrayed
      somewhat correctly in trousers at N.O., for once....

      93rdSHRoFLHU
      www.93rdhighlanders.com
    • hq93rd
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 2, 2003
        In a message dated 23/10/2003 7:50:50 PM, ebclemson@... writes:
        >>We are all proud of our history, yet, as historians should we not
        attempt to rise above the "Partisan" comments.<<

        What a novel concept!
        You mean I can now, and finally -- after too many years, look forward
        to attending events and not having snide comments and looks directed
        my way (and usually behind my back) simply because I (a born and bred
        USA-ian) wear a red uniform?

        Won't that be nice!
        (heavy sarcasm intended)

        93rd SHRoFLHU
        THE Thin Red Line
        www.93rdhighlanders.com
      • PEGGY MATHEWS
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 2, 2003
          Ah, try not to sweat the ignorant B. I try to ignore people's concerns about what uniform I wear (unless they are trying to keep me from playing) and just do my job to the best of my ability. I really haven't heard much regarding a US citizen portraying a redcoat though. Partly I suppose because I'm usually just a rank and file type.

          Now blue is another story. I once had a reenactor officer question me while smoking a vile cigar. "Why, (blows smoke in my face) would anyone, (blows smoke in my face) want to portray a Frenchman?" (blows smoke in my face) I'm really rather proud of my self control that day. Oh, he was and remains an American officer. However, thanks to him and the shoddy way my wife was treated by the "ladies" I was in Red next event I went to. But that's all water under the bridge, many years past.

          Michael M.
          (snip) as historians should we not
          attempt to rise above the "Partisan" comments.<<

          What a novel concept!
          You mean I can now, and finally -- after too many years, look forward
          to attending events and not having snide comments and looks directed
          my way (and usually behind my back) simply because I (a born and bred
          USA-ian) wear a red uniform?

          Won't that be nice!
          (heavy sarcasm intended)

          93rd SHRoFLHU
          THE Thin Red Line
          www.93rdhighlanders.com

          (snip)

        • Kevin Windsor
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 9 3:06 PM
            Will would you please contact me off list or give me a call at

            home 905-357-5337

            Kevin

          • Rob and Stephanie Friar
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 9 4:24 PM
              All,

              We in the newly formed 20 U.S. wanted to say a big "Thank You" to all
              involved in the event at Ft. McHenry this weekend. Though we had to leave
              early this morning due to some work commitments, we must say that we
              thoroughly enjoyed all the events both Friday and Saturday. Yes, my feet
              along with other various and assorted muscles hurt, but it was worth it. The
              ride across the harbor in "The Pride of Baltimore" was a neat experience.
              The march through the streets to and from the flag house was a great chance
              to see parts of Baltimore I have not yet seen. Saturdays tactical
              demonstrations, company drill, guard duty, etc, was my first chance to
              really get "into" the role of a regular soldier during that time, and I will
              always remember it.

              Thanks to the 7th U.S and 25 U.S. for allowing us to fall in with the
              "consolidated infantry" for the weekend. We learned a lot from you guys, and
              feel that our impression has improved greatly from having been with you all
              weekend. (1st Sgt., I promise I will have "pile arms" down by the next time
              we have the pleasure of falling in with you.;>)

              Once again, thanks to all for a great weekend.

              See you all at Jeff/Patt???

              Rob Friar

              20th U.S Infantry, Fort Norfolk Garrison

            • Brian Howard
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 9 7:35 PM
                I want to second the comments made by Rob on the great
                time we had at "Defenders Day" this year. Yeah, we
                sweated a lot, maybe even cursed under our breath a
                little, but overall it was a great event. Hats off to
                the staff at Fort McHenry and others who were involved
                in the event.

                My sincere thanks to members of the 7th and 25th US
                Infantry who allowed us to fall in with the
                consolidated infantry company. I have always come
                home from events with additional knowledge for the
                impression.

                My thanks to Major Abolt for the fine orange shrub
                which really hit the spot after the Friday evening
                march.

                Looking forward to seeing everyone again at Jeff Pat
                next year for the Grand Tactical if not sooner.

                Brian Howard
                20th US Inf./Fort Norfolk Garrison

                P.S. Jim Bailey, this is the real Brian Howard.
                --- Rob and Stephanie Friar <vastatenavy@...>

                http://sims.yahoo.com/