F.Y.I. - Medals Stolen

  • john harris
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2003
      Hi All . I received this posting from another list that I'm on. I know it's
      not 1812 but, there are many of us who collect all sorts of military items.
      Please read the posting and be aware . I have no other information other
      than what you see here.
      Regards
      John Harris
      25th US Infantry, Whiting's Company
      42nd Reg't , Grenadier Company

      Subject: Alert! Medals stolen from museum.

      Ladies & Gentlemen:

      The attached message is forwarded as information. This theft is a deplorable

      act and hopefully, wide circulation of the information will result in the
      thieves being swiftly apprehended.

      As information,

      Paul Wallace
      Britregiments
      Subject: (Medaltrader) Update on Medal theft - please circulate as widely as
      possible.
      Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:23:10 -0000

      War Medals Stolen from Clandon Park

      More than one thousand medals dating from the nineteenth and twentieth
      centuries
      were stolen from the Museum of the Queen’s Royal Surrey Regiment at Clandon
      Park
      in the early morning of Saturday 25 October. The medals chronicled the
      service
      for their country of veterans of the Regiment and its forebears, the Queen’s
      Royal Regiment and the East Surrey Regiment during the nineteenth and twe
      ntieth
      centuries around the world. The Chairman of the Museum Trustees, Captain
      Adrian
      Birtles, said, “We are devastated by the theft of so many irreplaceable
      items.
      Many of the medals were bequeathed to the Museum by the veterans themselves
      or
      presented by their families. This callous theft is a terrible blow to the
      memory of the veterans, to surviving relatives and to the Museum.” National
      Trust Property Manager Julie Lawlor added “The actions of these thieves
      against
      two registered charities – the Museum and the National Trust – is
      extraordinary.
      As a result, medals on display for public benefit may have vanished from the
      public domain forever.”

      The National Trust is appealing for members of the public, medals dealers
      and

      antiques dealers to keep an eye out for the medals. The National Trust would

      also like to speak to anyone who may have seen a vehicle or vehicles parked
      alongside the A246 near Clandon Park between 4:00 am and 6:00 am on Saturday
      25
      October.

      Anyone with information can contact the Museum on 01483 223 419, the
      National

      Trust on 01483 222 482, or Surrey Police on 0845 125 2222 quoting crime
      reference number C0317268.

      Statement issued jointly by the Museum of the Queen’s Royal Surrey Regiment
      and
      the National Trust.