New Member Introduction.

  • Jay Howlett
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 27, 2003
      List ,
      Thought I would pop in an say hello.My name is Jay Howlett ,I have
      been doing AWI for nearly 30 years,but this is a different world for
      me.A group of friends of mine( mostly veteren reenactors of the AWI
      and ACW hardcore movement) have decided that our local (Tide water
      Virginia)1812 history has not been much explored.We are very much in
      the preliminary stages,have not yet decided which unit we will
      endeavour to recreate except that it will be US with a local
      connection,and likely infantry.We hope to take the field in the
      spring of 2005.Fortunately we are composed mostly of professional
      craftsmen and have the ability to produce most of our gear.
      As I mentioned I am very much a stranger in a strange land here,I
      look forward to your wisdom and to meeting some of you in
      person.Thanks , Jay
    • Ed Seufert
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 27, 2003
        Jay,

        Welcome aboard.

        My unit portrays Royal Marines. We are primarily from the Baltimore area and are one of several units, both American and British, that are from the Chesapeake area and represented on this list. Two units that you may want to contact down your way would be the 2nd VA who work out of Ft Norfolk and the Albermarle County Militia who I believe are from the Charlottesville area.

        Looking forward to working with You.

        Ed Seufert, LCpl
        1812 Royal Marines

        Thought I would pop in an say hello.My name is Jay Howlett ,I have
        been doing AWI for nearly 30 years,but this is a different world for
        me.A group of friends of mine( mostly veteren reenactors of the AWI
        and ACW hardcore movement) have decided that our local (Tide water
        Virginia)1812 history has not been much explored.We are very much in
        the preliminary stages,have not yet decided which unit we will
        endeavour to recreate except that it will be US with a local
        connection,and likely infantry.We hope to take the field in the
        spring of 2005.Fortunately we are composed mostly of professional
        craftsmen and have the ability to produce most of our gear.
        As I mentioned I am very much a stranger in a strange land here,I
        look forward to your wisdom and to meeting some of you in
        person.Thanks , Jay

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Brian Howard
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 30, 2003
          Jay,

          Welcome also! Our unit, the 2nd Va Regiment,
          1813-1815, portrays a Virginia Militia unit from the
          period of the War of 1812. Based out of Old Fort
          Norfolk, we have traveled to Baltimore for the Fort
          McHenry Star Spangled Banner event for the last few
          years. I started attending a number of years ago as a
          US Regular infantryman and fell in with the 7th
          Infantry which Steve Abolt commands, who by the way is
          one of the foremost experts in this region.

          To give you an idea of our schedule as it stands now
          for 2004, we plan on attending the Military Through
          the Ages program at Jamestown in March. We start our
          summer tour of duty at Fort Norfolk in June and the
          kick off this year will be a Battle of Craney Island
          Living History Encampment at the fort. We were also
          recently contacted by the Navy History Center
          concerning any plans for a bicentinial celebration of
          the Craney Island battle. We end the summer tours at
          the end of August and then attend the Fort McHenry
          event. This past September we had six members
          attending and we team up with the Albemarle County
          Militia out of the Charlottesville area. A good time
          is had by all. We hope to do more events over the next
          few years and work our way up to a Canadian event.

          Please contact me off list and I would be very happy
          to talk to you about possibly joining our unit or
          assit your unit in putting together an 1812 kit. We
          currently have plans to put together a US Infantry
          impression based on the early war uniform which we
          believe was worn by members of Captain Pollard's
          company of regulars who were detached to Craney Island
          by General Taylor before the battle.

          The unit email address is 2varegiment@... and I am
          looking forward to hearing from you.

          Brian Howard