Re: [WarOf1812] TOMATOES

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 6 10:39 AM
      In a message dated 10/6/03 12:28:40 PM, sgtwarner@... writes:

      > > there was a statement that Mr. Jefferson claimed Tomatoes were poisonous
      > > and not fit for human consumption due to their connection with the
      > > 'nightshade'
      > > family.

      Ah yes, the same Mr. Jefferson who re-wrote the Bible, thought that the US
      could do without an army and Navy and was of the opinion that 'the tree of
      liberty needs watering with a little blood' now and then.

      I have just come across some 1804 newspapers objecting to the move in
      Congress to make him 'President for life' like that nice Mr. Buonaparte.

      Makes you think Arron Burr might have been right! :-)

    • loveland@execulink.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 6 1:07 PM
        speaking of Jefferson, the Monticello website includes great period garden info
        at
        http://www.monticello.org/gardens/index.html

        I will be in PA this weekend, and temptingly almost in range for a daytrip to
        Charlottesville down through Shenandoah, as this conversation recalls fond memories
        of our last visit...

        Best Regards,

        Doug

        >there was a statement that Mr. Jefferson claimed Tomatoes were poisonous
        >and not fit for human consumption due to their connection with the
        >'nightshade'
        >family.

        (...)

        >PS: There is a book available from Williamsburg which describes what
        >fruits and vegetables were grown in North American gardens between
        >1700 and 1815. I believe Forts Niagara, Malden, York and Michilimackinac
        >also have documentation on what was grown in gardens during this time
        >period.

        ----------
        Powered by Execulink WebMail - We Connect!
        http://www.execulink.com
      • PEGGY MATHEWS
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 6 8:06 PM
          The French of "Nouvelle France" in the 1700s are recorded as feeling tomatoes were to be avoided for the reason cited, and that potatoes were fit only for feeding pigs. Even today I'm told the only corn that is grown in central Europe is for feed or to sell to the military at US bases.

          As for me, with my ancestary "spuds" are in my blood.

          Hope to see/meet lots of you this weekend.

          Michael (wearing blue this year)
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 7 5:11 AM
            Not so, Michael. Roasted corn is now very popular at open air food
            stands. It has joined the ranks of the new Central European fast food.
            Tastes awful.
            Ray Hobbs
            41st Foot

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 7 6:51 AM
              From: "Ray Hobbs" <ray.hobbs@...>

              Michael Mathews wrote:
              I'm told the only corn that is grown in central Europe is
              for feed or to sell to the military at US bases

              Not so, Michael. Roasted corn is now very popular at open air food
              stands. It has joined the ranks of the new Central European fast food.

              ------------------------

              And now Gentlemen all has changed ...........

              Tuesday 7 October 2003

              KRISPY CREME DOUGHNUTS

              ONE of the world's most successful franchises opens inside Harrods, the
              luxury London store,
              at 9am tomorrow. Krispy Kreme doughnuts, made famous by the girls in TV's
              Sex And The City, have doubled profits in the US in the past two years to
              $33.5million (£21million). The company plans to have 24 UK outlets by 2008.
              www.mirror.co.uk

              Now Squires Greig and Catley are able to have the 'Breakfast of
              Champions'!!! ......
              ... as well as cement for the arteries! :^)

              I am Sirs, Ladies Yours & etc.,c.

              L. L. ~ AdC
              Crown Forces

              ~
            • Angela Gottfred
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 7 8:44 AM
                If that posting regarding tomatoes was on SavoryFare, it must have been
                quite a while ago, and probably vigorously rebutted by resident tomato
                authority Andy Smith. There's a lot of misinformation regarding the
                "poisonous tomato" myth, which he has ably demolished.

                In haste,
                Your very humble & most obedient servant,
                Angela Gottfred

                > As the Period Food conversation continues, it is
                the
                > wishes
                > of this small group to eliminate anything modern. I only posted re:
                > 'tomatoes'
                > as I believe on,
                > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SavoryFare
                > there was a statement that Mr. Jefferson claimed Tomatoes were
                poisonous
                > and not fit for human consumption due to their connection with the
                > 'nightshade'
                > family.
              • PEGGY MATHEWS
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 8 4:45 AM
                  Morning Ray,

                  Okay. I was basing it on a report from a buddy who was in northern Germany three years ago with the military. Definitely a bias against corn in that neck of the woods then. The poor fellow is now sweltering in Iraq, but keeping safe thus far.

                  Pity they haven't figured out how to make it yummy. See you Friday?

                  Michael
                  Not so, Michael. Roasted corn is now very popular at open air food
                  stands. It has joined the ranks of the new Central European fast food.
                  Tastes awful.
                  Ray Hobbs
                  41st Foot

                  On Monday, October 6, 2003, at 11:06 PM, PEGGY MATHEWS wrote:

                  > Even today I'm told the only corn that is grown in central Europe is
                  > for feed or to sell to the military at US bases.
                  >
                  > Michael (wearing blue this year)

                • Ray Hobbs
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 8 5:30 AM
                    Unfortunately not, Michael. But I am sending a small party of the
                    41st, under the tender care of AdC Lozon (at least for the drive).
                    They are good men and true, a credit to the Regiment, and as excited as
                    a kid at Christmas.
                    Ray

                    On Wednesday, October 8, 2003, at 07:45 AM, PEGGY MATHEWS wrote:

                    > Morning Ray,
                    >
                    >   See you Friday?
                    >
                    > Michael

                  • Peter Catley
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 26 1:51 PM
                      Apologies List,

                      I have received a e-mail from Will Woods of IMUC (wwoods@...) but my
                      reply to his message bounced and I have no other way to contact him. He'll
                      think I'm ignoring him!

                      Is any one in touch with him who could let him know I'm trying to reach him
                      and/or could relay a message for me. If you can help please contact me off
                      list at peter.catley@...

                      Thanks.

                      P**