Re: [WarOf1812] recent border crossing

  • Craig Williams
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2003
      on 10/1/03 3:35 PM, Larry Lozon at lalozon@... wrote:

      > From: "Susan Spencer McLean" <susan@...>
      >
      > " ... you should be aware that US Customs at both Port Huron and Detroit
      > have been mandated by Washington to do a random check and search of every
      > tenth vehicle .......
      >
      > ________________
      >
      > Mum, for what it is worth,
      >
      > Last Friday about 2:00 p.m., arrived at the Lewiston Bridge crossing from
      > Ontario
      > into New York.
      >
      > Other than the construction and traffic !!!!!! ... when we arrived at the
      > USA Customs
      > check point, he asked "Citizenship?" and "where are you going?". !!

      Larry,

      So nice to hear you had no problem. I, on the other hand, got caught in the
      new practice at the Queenston/Lewiston bridge, of putting an immigration
      officer in every second booth, who was convinced that no one could possibly
      be interested in reenacting for free and proceeded to ask me the same
      question five different ways.
      After he decided that I wasn't going to tell him what he wanted to hear,
      ( that I was being re-numerated for my efforts...NOT!), he sent me into
      secondary, where I sat for forty five minutes waiting for my turn to asked
      the same questions again. They finally decided that I wasn't taking
      employment from an American and let me pass...like a kidney stone.
      I have never had difficulty crossing at Queenston before, and I don't
      really expect it to happen again as Doug usually has the bridge staff
      briefed well. I imagine it was likely due to the fact that I crossed on
      Sunday and this guy didn't know about the event. It didn't help that he was
      of the "type" that needs to be an authority figure and enjoys the feeling.

      Craig
    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2003
        In a message dated 10/1/03 11:08:14 PM, sgtwarner@... writes:

        > I imagine it was likely due to the fact that I crossed on
        > Sunday and this guy didn't  know about the event. It didn't help that he was
        > of the "type" that needs to be an authority figure and enjoys the feeling.

        Craig,

        I expect you know that in the UK this type is known as a 'jobsworth' the sort
        of idiot who parrots the phrase "it's more than my jobs worth to let you
        [fill in the blank]". Perhaps they are emigrating!

        (Emigrating? It's more than my jobs worth to emigrate)

        Timothy Pickles
        1100 Charters Street
        New Orleans
        Louisiana 70116
        Tel: no land line as yet but can be reached at 504 529 3040
        cell: 504 236 7130