Fort Niagara - this year

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
      From: "westhouse03" <westhouse@...>

      > The event at Fort Niagara needs to be expanded to include the
      > campfollowers and the sutlers.

      LL: this year some of the women worked their butts off in the kitchen
      nearly all day Saturday, some others campfollowers could have helped
      and their effort would have been appreciated and they would have had
      something to do.

      As for Sutlers, I really don't think they can be every where and at every
      event and the site is not always responsible for this. I did order some
      stuff from the blacksmith.
      ____________

      > On the soldier side, and this is just my opinion, the soldier needs
      > to be utilized more. This does not mean all will not get a moments
      > rest but there should be guards at the main door all the time, guards
      > doing walks on the walls, at the cannon and so forth. More a working
      > facility, pay masters handing out pay, etc. Guard duty could be as
      > short as 15 minutes.

      LL: This year Hal, from your unit was in charge of posting guards at the
      main
      door all day, and used guards from different units. Nothing has ever stopped
      anyone from organising their own duties like doing walks on the walls, at
      the
      cannon and so forth.
      It is not the site's responsibility to organise pay masters handing out pay,
      etc.
      As I remember units doing Recruiting skits, paymaster skits, court martial
      skits,
      etc., on their own. Why does the site have to order these things done?
      Dave, you organise things at Fanshaw so maybe you could help Doug at
      Niagara!?
      ______________

      > Last year we sat around much of the time waiting for something to do.

      LL: this year the program was quite full and Doug the site so-ordinator,
      asked a
      couple of time if he had filled the weekend up too full. If units can do
      special
      presentations other than drill and firing they should step up and volunteer.
      Most registrations forms ask what a unit can do.

      My Guineas worth ......

      Larry Lozon
    • westhouse03
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
        > LL: This year Hal, from your unit was in charge of posting guards
        at the main door all day, and used guards from different units.

        That's my Hal, and a good job he does.

        > It is not the site's responsibility to organise pay masters handing
        out pay, etc.
        As I remember units doing Recruiting skits, paymaster skits, court
        martial skits, etc., on their own. Why does the site have to order
        these things done?

        Good point. Maybe that's why I went out on the wall myself.

        > Dave, you organise things at Fanshawe so maybe you could help Doug
        at Niagara!?

        I will make it a point to talk to Doug personally at some point. Just
        to toss about some ideas. He does however have alot more experience
        than I. I do not presume to tell anyone I know it all. At Fanshawe
        I stepped up to the plate and put my neck on the line because I had
        alot of free time. Thankfully it went very well.

        I have however heard reports from some who had gone and it sounded
        alot better. I will make it a point to put it on my calendar for
        next year. It was going to be anyway.

        > LL: this year the program was quite full and Doug the site so-
        ordinator,
        asked a couple of time if he had filled the weekend up too full. If
        units can do special presentations other than drill and firing they
        should step up and volunteer.
        Most registrations forms ask what a unit can do.

        Hopefully your words and mine will prompt others to step forward and
        walk the walls, do guard duty etc. etc.

        > My Guineas worth ......
        >
        > Larry Lozon
      • Rosemary Coole
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2003
          > "LL: this year some of the women worked their butts off in the
          kitchen nearly all day Saturday..."

          Larry, are you suggesting that in previous years, the food just
          appeared and nobody worked their butts off in the kitchen? I have an
          army of women behind me...be careful how you answer.

          Regards, Rose
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2003
            From: "Rosemary Coole" <rose.coole@...>

            "LL: this year some of the women worked their butts off in the
            kitchen nearly all day Saturday..."

            Larry, are you suggesting that in previous years, the food just
            appeared and nobody worked their butts off in the kitchen? I have an
            army of women behind me...be careful how you answer.

            ------------------------

            My Dear Lady Rose,

            I was speaking of this year (2003) as well as replying to the statement,
            "THIS YEAR, (2003) the women seemed to have nothing to do.
            Also, please note "Subject" - 'Fort Niagara - this year'

            I always make it a habit of attending the kitchen at Fort Niagara on
            Saturdays and acknowledge the work being done as I know that the women
            and Ladies within are working their 'butts' off and I really do not like to
            see
            it happen .........

            ....... just imagine, campfollwers with 'NO' butts!!!

            LL
          • cverrall@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 2, 2003
              --- Larry Lozon <lalozon@...> wrote:
              > From: "westhouse03" <westhouse@...>
              >
              > > The event at Fort Niagara needs to be expanded to
              > include the
              > > campfollowers and the sutlers.
              >
              > LL: this year some of the women worked their butts
              > off in the kitchen
              > nearly all day Saturday, some others campfollowers
              > could have helped
              > and their effort would have been appreciated and
              > they would have had
              > something to do.
              >

              > Larry Lozon
              >
              > I would just like to let you know that some of the
              ladies offered their assistance in the kitchen a few
              times, at Ft Niagara and the offer was declined a few
              times...i guess too many cooks in the kitchen can
              spoil the broth??? Catherine

              http://shopping.yahoo.com