recent border crossing

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2003
      From: "Susan Spencer McLean" <susan@...>

      " ... you should be aware that US Customs at both Port Huron and Detroit
      have been mandated by Washington to do a random check and search of every
      tenth vehicle .......

      ________________

      Mum, for what it is worth,

      Last Friday about 2:00 p.m., arrived at the Lewiston Bridge crossing from
      Ontario
      into New York.

      Other than the construction and traffic !!!!!! ... when we arrived at the
      USA Customs
      check point, he asked "Citizenship?" and "where are you going?". He asked if
      we
      had weapons and I said, "Yes, swords" He asked if he could see them and then
      he commenced to play ZORRO for about three minutes with a British flank
      company
      sword. He then said "Have a nice day", as I asked, "do you want to see our
      ID".
      He said, "not necessary" !!!

      On the return trip back into Canada, the Customs Officer asked,
      "Citizenship?"
      and "are you bringing anything back with you?" to which I replied,
      "Duty Free Booze". She said, "go on"

      Maybe we should cross into New York in the Niagara area instead of into
      Michigan
      on our way to Mississinewa?!?!?

      Unkle Larry

      Damn! over a 160 Sutlers, cavalry, and Pussers Rum!!!!

      Cap'n Gilmour, my turn to buy ...........

      Lorina get Steve's buckets to me as I am leaving Thurs 9th

      Tom packed yet?
    • Craig Williams
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2003
        on 10/1/03 3:35 PM, Larry Lozon at lalozon@... wrote:

        > From: "Susan Spencer McLean" <susan@...>
        >
        > " ... you should be aware that US Customs at both Port Huron and Detroit
        > have been mandated by Washington to do a random check and search of every
        > tenth vehicle .......
        >
        > ________________
        >
        > Mum, for what it is worth,
        >
        > Last Friday about 2:00 p.m., arrived at the Lewiston Bridge crossing from
        > Ontario
        > into New York.
        >
        > Other than the construction and traffic !!!!!! ... when we arrived at the
        > USA Customs
        > check point, he asked "Citizenship?" and "where are you going?". !!

        Larry,

        So nice to hear you had no problem. I, on the other hand, got caught in the
        new practice at the Queenston/Lewiston bridge, of putting an immigration
        officer in every second booth, who was convinced that no one could possibly
        be interested in reenacting for free and proceeded to ask me the same
        question five different ways.
        After he decided that I wasn't going to tell him what he wanted to hear,
        ( that I was being re-numerated for my efforts...NOT!), he sent me into
        secondary, where I sat for forty five minutes waiting for my turn to asked
        the same questions again. They finally decided that I wasn't taking
        employment from an American and let me pass...like a kidney stone.
        I have never had difficulty crossing at Queenston before, and I don't
        really expect it to happen again as Doug usually has the bridge staff
        briefed well. I imagine it was likely due to the fact that I crossed on
        Sunday and this guy didn't know about the event. It didn't help that he was
        of the "type" that needs to be an authority figure and enjoys the feeling.

        Craig
      • BritcomHMP@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2003
          In a message dated 10/1/03 11:08:14 PM, sgtwarner@... writes:

          > I imagine it was likely due to the fact that I crossed on
          > Sunday and this guy didn't  know about the event. It didn't help that he was
          > of the "type" that needs to be an authority figure and enjoys the feeling.

          Craig,

          I expect you know that in the UK this type is known as a 'jobsworth' the sort
          of idiot who parrots the phrase "it's more than my jobs worth to let you
          [fill in the blank]". Perhaps they are emigrating!

          (Emigrating? It's more than my jobs worth to emigrate)

          Timothy Pickles
          1100 Charters Street
          New Orleans
          Louisiana 70116
          Tel: no land line as yet but can be reached at 504 529 3040
          cell: 504 236 7130