Re: Fort Niagara - St. Leonard's Creek

  • Ross Flowers
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
      Thanks for considering rescheduling the event. I believe that Chatham
      Ontario has an event on that date.

      Ross

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "pamelalynn36" <pamelalynn36@h...>

    • westhouse03
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
        > For the last two years or so we have asked for an 1812 tactical
        > with opposing lines and they have agreed. Now if we do not
        > attend ..... it will be cancelled.

        Just another thought here as well. I will mention this to the fort
        staff as well.

        The event at Fort Niagara needs to be expanded to include the
        campfollowers and the sutlers. Give them a reason to come as well
        and the soldiers will show in greater numbers. Yes it is about the
        soldiers but if the campfollowers (our wives and children) are bored
        and have absolutely nothing to do, they will not want to go. That is
        one reason I did not attend this year.

        On the soldier side, and this is just my opinion, the soldier needs
        to be utilized more. This does not mean all will not get a moments
        rest but there should be guards at the main door all the time, guards
        doing walks on the walls, at the cannon and so forth. More a working
        facility, pay masters handing out pay, etc. Guard duty could be as
        short as 15 minutes.

        Last year we sat around much of the time waiting for something to do.
        Being eager as I was and a keener, I was new, I went and patrolled
        the walls on my own. The Seargent Major asked 'Who's the guy up on
        the wall'? 'That's the new guy' 'Oh, good for him'.

        As far as moving the event, watch out for the first weekend in
        October, Chatham. It's getting busier every year. Sometimes it will
        take a choice, this one this year, that one the next. Wait 'til we
        get very close to 2012 see how hard it will be then.

        Just a Privates opinion.
        And being a slovenly uneducated type of pond scum soldier that I am,
        take it for what it's worth.
        :>)

        Dave W.
        Royal Scots, 1st Regiment
        London, Ontario
        UTMRS
      • Armchairadm@cs.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2003
          Larry;
          I wholeheartedly agree. The facilities & hospitality at Ft. Niagara are
          second to none. It would be extremely unfortunate if the event were to
          wither away for want of participants.

          Ed B.