Re: [WarOf1812] Fort Niagara - St. Leonard's Creek

  • Ed Seufert
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 30, 2003
      Friends,

      First let me say thanks to all who made the trip to Jeff-Patt this year. A special thanks to Mr Everett and Mr Feltoe for some well-needed drill bashing for us poor webfoots.

      This was Jeff-Patt's 6th year. For the first two years, 1998 and 1999, the event was held in late-June and mid-July, respectively, close to the actual anniversary of the actions that took place there. Due to the extreme heat and humidity of Maryland summers, it was decided to move the event to another date for both the sake of the re-enactors and the public. (For those who made the trip, saturday was a cooler example of what our weather can be like. Some of Ross's men died from heat stroke in his advance to Washington in August 1814! In the July 99 event, a third of the re-enactors had to pack it in.)

      We've had the event on the last weekend of September for the last four years. For whatever reason (and this is being researched), we had a much smaller crowd than normal this year. A local county fair and hurricane Isabel, resulting in rescheduled events, may have been the culprits. The park staff is already reviewing what possible dates would cause additional conflicts for both the re-enactors and public and how it would affect the Park schedule.

      The park staff understands the concerns of the 1812 community and discussions between them and the re-enactment community are already under way.

      Cheers,

      Ed Seufert, LCpl
      1812 Royal Marines
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
        Good morning all,

        Ed's chronology of how our event came to be in late September is
        absolutely correct. We scheduled it two weeks after Defenders Day at
        Fort McHenry and two weeks before Mississenewa, hoping to avoid
        conflict with these events.

        JPPM staff is going to be reviewing this year's event and ANY
        comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Sorry - can't
        do much about the long bus trip! Kind of hard to move a 560-acre
        site! Under consideration is moving the event one week later, to the
        first weekend in October. How would that affect other events? We want
        to continue to grow, and YOUR opinions are important to us. Please
        let me know how this date might work for you - whether it might
        entice any more of you to visit! After all, this is a goup effort -
        we can't put it on without the reenacting community! We are trying
        our best to accommodate all of our partners!

        Cheers,
        Pam Shubert
        Administrator of Marketing and Development
        Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Seufert" <LCpl_RM@c...> wrote:

        > The park staff understands the concerns of the 1812 community and
        discussions between them and the re-enactment community are already
        under way.

        > Cheers,
        >
        > Ed Seufert, LCpl
        > 1812 Royal Marines

        fate of THOUSANDS of square miles...

        Service.

      • Ross Flowers
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
          Thanks for considering rescheduling the event. I believe that Chatham
          Ontario has an event on that date.

          Ross

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "pamelalynn36" <pamelalynn36@h...>

        • westhouse03
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
            > For the last two years or so we have asked for an 1812 tactical
            > with opposing lines and they have agreed. Now if we do not
            > attend ..... it will be cancelled.

            Just another thought here as well. I will mention this to the fort
            staff as well.

            The event at Fort Niagara needs to be expanded to include the
            campfollowers and the sutlers. Give them a reason to come as well
            and the soldiers will show in greater numbers. Yes it is about the
            soldiers but if the campfollowers (our wives and children) are bored
            and have absolutely nothing to do, they will not want to go. That is
            one reason I did not attend this year.

            On the soldier side, and this is just my opinion, the soldier needs
            to be utilized more. This does not mean all will not get a moments
            rest but there should be guards at the main door all the time, guards
            doing walks on the walls, at the cannon and so forth. More a working
            facility, pay masters handing out pay, etc. Guard duty could be as
            short as 15 minutes.

            Last year we sat around much of the time waiting for something to do.
            Being eager as I was and a keener, I was new, I went and patrolled
            the walls on my own. The Seargent Major asked 'Who's the guy up on
            the wall'? 'That's the new guy' 'Oh, good for him'.

            As far as moving the event, watch out for the first weekend in
            October, Chatham. It's getting busier every year. Sometimes it will
            take a choice, this one this year, that one the next. Wait 'til we
            get very close to 2012 see how hard it will be then.

            Just a Privates opinion.
            And being a slovenly uneducated type of pond scum soldier that I am,
            take it for what it's worth.
            :>)

            Dave W.
            Royal Scots, 1st Regiment
            London, Ontario
            UTMRS
          • Armchairadm@cs.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 2, 2003
              Larry;
              I wholeheartedly agree. The facilities & hospitality at Ft. Niagara are
              second to none. It would be extremely unfortunate if the event were to
              wither away for want of participants.

              Ed B.