Fort Niagara - St. Leonard's Creek

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 30, 2003
      From: "Ross Flowers" <drums1812@...>

      Any chance it could be organized next year so that it doesn't
      conflict with the long standing event at Fort Niagara?
      _____________

      May I add to the observations of Brother Drum Major Ross

      Fort Niagara is close to almost everyone in the Great Lakes basin,
      they supply housing, they supply food and do a great job of
      informing USA & Canadian Customs Departments of their
      activities to make it easy for us to cross the border without a hassle,
      traffic not withstanding.
      For the last two years or so we have asked for an 1812 tactical
      with opposing lines and they have agreed. Now if we do not
      attend ..... it will be cancelled. They cater to many time periods and
      our is the smallest so perhaps our friends in Maryland will consider
      this in '04.

      food for thot ...........

      I guess I liken it to our Sutlers, we love to attend events where they
      are but if we don't buy from them and support them they will quit
      the business so .......

      more food for thot

      Yrs,

      Larry
    • Ed Seufert
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 30, 2003
        Friends,

        First let me say thanks to all who made the trip to Jeff-Patt this year. A special thanks to Mr Everett and Mr Feltoe for some well-needed drill bashing for us poor webfoots.

        This was Jeff-Patt's 6th year. For the first two years, 1998 and 1999, the event was held in late-June and mid-July, respectively, close to the actual anniversary of the actions that took place there. Due to the extreme heat and humidity of Maryland summers, it was decided to move the event to another date for both the sake of the re-enactors and the public. (For those who made the trip, saturday was a cooler example of what our weather can be like. Some of Ross's men died from heat stroke in his advance to Washington in August 1814! In the July 99 event, a third of the re-enactors had to pack it in.)

        We've had the event on the last weekend of September for the last four years. For whatever reason (and this is being researched), we had a much smaller crowd than normal this year. A local county fair and hurricane Isabel, resulting in rescheduled events, may have been the culprits. The park staff is already reviewing what possible dates would cause additional conflicts for both the re-enactors and public and how it would affect the Park schedule.

        The park staff understands the concerns of the 1812 community and discussions between them and the re-enactment community are already under way.

        Cheers,

        Ed Seufert, LCpl
        1812 Royal Marines
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • pamelalynn36
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
          Good morning all,

          Ed's chronology of how our event came to be in late September is
          absolutely correct. We scheduled it two weeks after Defenders Day at
          Fort McHenry and two weeks before Mississenewa, hoping to avoid
          conflict with these events.

          JPPM staff is going to be reviewing this year's event and ANY
          comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Sorry - can't
          do much about the long bus trip! Kind of hard to move a 560-acre
          site! Under consideration is moving the event one week later, to the
          first weekend in October. How would that affect other events? We want
          to continue to grow, and YOUR opinions are important to us. Please
          let me know how this date might work for you - whether it might
          entice any more of you to visit! After all, this is a goup effort -
          we can't put it on without the reenacting community! We are trying
          our best to accommodate all of our partners!

          Cheers,
          Pam Shubert
          Administrator of Marketing and Development
          Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Seufert" <LCpl_RM@c...> wrote:

          > The park staff understands the concerns of the 1812 community and
          discussions between them and the re-enactment community are already
          under way.

          > Cheers,
          >
          > Ed Seufert, LCpl
          > 1812 Royal Marines

          fate of THOUSANDS of square miles...

          Service.

        • Ross Flowers
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
            Thanks for considering rescheduling the event. I believe that Chatham
            Ontario has an event on that date.

            Ross

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "pamelalynn36" <pamelalynn36@h...>

          • westhouse03
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
              > For the last two years or so we have asked for an 1812 tactical
              > with opposing lines and they have agreed. Now if we do not
              > attend ..... it will be cancelled.

              Just another thought here as well. I will mention this to the fort
              staff as well.

              The event at Fort Niagara needs to be expanded to include the
              campfollowers and the sutlers. Give them a reason to come as well
              and the soldiers will show in greater numbers. Yes it is about the
              soldiers but if the campfollowers (our wives and children) are bored
              and have absolutely nothing to do, they will not want to go. That is
              one reason I did not attend this year.

              On the soldier side, and this is just my opinion, the soldier needs
              to be utilized more. This does not mean all will not get a moments
              rest but there should be guards at the main door all the time, guards
              doing walks on the walls, at the cannon and so forth. More a working
              facility, pay masters handing out pay, etc. Guard duty could be as
              short as 15 minutes.

              Last year we sat around much of the time waiting for something to do.
              Being eager as I was and a keener, I was new, I went and patrolled
              the walls on my own. The Seargent Major asked 'Who's the guy up on
              the wall'? 'That's the new guy' 'Oh, good for him'.

              As far as moving the event, watch out for the first weekend in
              October, Chatham. It's getting busier every year. Sometimes it will
              take a choice, this one this year, that one the next. Wait 'til we
              get very close to 2012 see how hard it will be then.

              Just a Privates opinion.
              And being a slovenly uneducated type of pond scum soldier that I am,
              take it for what it's worth.
              :>)

              Dave W.
              Royal Scots, 1st Regiment
              London, Ontario
              UTMRS
            • Armchairadm@cs.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 2, 2003
                Larry;
                I wholeheartedly agree. The facilities & hospitality at Ft. Niagara are
                second to none. It would be extremely unfortunate if the event were to
                wither away for want of participants.

                Ed B.