Re: An Answer Please

  • J.Bruce Whittaker
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 30, 2003
      Is the request intended to stimulate debate or a homework question?
      One source to go to for answers or an opinion would be "Amateurs, To
      Arms" A Military History of the War of 1812 by John R. Elting.
      The fly leaf reads in part,"... a near disaster for the fledgling
      United States of America. Begun in ignorance of military facts of
      life, it was fought catch-as-catch-can with raw troops, incompetent
      officers, and appallingly inadequate logistics."
      Best regards,
      J. Bruce Whittaker
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 30, 2003
        From: "J.Bruce Whittaker" <ortheris@...>

        Is the request intended to stimulate debate or a homework question?
        ------------------------

        JB Sir:

        Methinks from the tone ... a homework question .............

        I remember the day when there were no puters, calculators, etc.
        to help with homework ........ n' chipping out those tablets was
        a buggar!

        Uphill both ways, bare foot and in four feet of snow .........

        L. A. Lozon

        Greenock Hall
        Near the Mohawk Settlement
        Grand River Upper Canada

        ~
      • PEGGY Mathews
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 30, 2003
          (snip)

          >Uphill both ways, bare foot and in four feet of snow .........

          Ah, you were lucky! We had to crawl on our hands and knees... and across
          broken glass....

          We'd have felt blessed to walk upright in cooling snow!

          Michael "old fart" Mathews

          Add MSN 8 Internet Software to your existing Internet access and enjoy
          patented spam protection and more. Sign up now!
          http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/byoa
        • Sgt. Wattie
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 30, 2003
            I suppose it's a sign of progress that the War of 1812 is even on the
            curriculum ...

            > Is the request intended to stimulate debate or a homework question?
            > ------------------------
            >
            > JB Sir:
            >
            > Methinks from the tone ... a homework question .............
            >
            > I remember the day when there were no puters, calculators, etc.
            > to help with homework ........ n' chipping out those tablets was
            > a buggar!
            >
            > Uphill both ways, bare foot and in four feet of snow .........

          • Ray Hobbs
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 30, 2003
              Hey Sergeant Wattie, are you back in Canada now? Someday I would like
              to listen to some of your experiences in Afghanistan. Possibly over a
              port at an event early next year.
              Ray Hobbs, Sgt
              41st Regt

              On Tuesday, September 30, 2003, at 04:57 PM, Sgt. Wattie wrote:

              > I suppose it's a sign of progress that the War of 1812 is even on the
              > curriculum ...
              > >
              > > Is the request intended to stimulate debate or a homework question?
              > >  ------------------------
              > >
              > > JB Sir:
              > >
              > > Methinks from the tone ... a homework question .............
              > >
              > > I remember the day when there were no puters, calculators, etc.
              > > to help with homework ........ n' chipping out those tablets was
              > > a buggar!
              > >
              > > Uphill both ways, bare foot and in four feet of snow .........

              <image.tiff>

            • HQ93rd@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
                In a message dated 30/09/2003 7:15:08 AM, ciefranche21e@... writes:

                > (snip)
                > >
                > >Uphill both ways, bare foot and in four feet of snow .........
                >
                > Ah, you were lucky!  We had to crawl on our hands and knees...  and across
                > broken glass....
                >
                > We'd have felt blessed to walk upright in cooling snow!
                >
                > Michael "old fart" Mathews

                Luxury!
                We lived in a shoe box in the middle of the road, our father would wake us at
                3 AM, kill us, then send us to work for 4 hours in the mines, and then off to
                school in the middle of a frozen river!

                93rd SHRoFLHU
                THE Thin Red Line
                www.93rdhighlanders.com

              • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
                  Boy Howdy!!

                  I having to re-evaluate my school days when all I had to do was get on
                  the bus and ride 10 -25 min. to school which had heat and indoor
                  plumbing. 53 kids in my 1st Grade class. Only thing I missed out on in
                  grade school was learning to spell. Thanks goodness for spell checker!
                  ;^)

                  Maj B., ya gots de best story so far!

                  Bob
                  [Who is busily sewing for his trip to Mississinewa. Ouch, that needle is
                  sharp!]
                • HQ93rd@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 5, 2003
                    In a message dated 2/10/2003 5:55:39 PM, dancingbobd@... writes:

                    > Maj B., ya gots de best story so far!

                    Well, me being the honest Tom I am, has to give all due credit to them Monty
                    Python folk, from whom I stole pretty much the whole thingy....
                    {{{{big smiley thingy here}}}}
                    93rd SHRoFLHU
                    THE Thin Red Line
                    www.93rdhighlanders.com