Backus Mills

  • glifencible
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 7, 2003
      Another great event!

      I have posted some photos on the Glengarry website, but if anybody has
      anymore, please feel free to send 'em to me; we didn't get any
      batallion pictures.

      http://www.glengarrylightinfantry.ca

      Regards
      Bill
    • Tom Fournier
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 12, 2004
        A few photos have been posted in the photo section from the Backus
        Mills event held near Long Point in Ontario this past weekend.

        The 41st were in attendance only on the Saturday. It is a really
        cool site and a neat event.

        Thanks to Carole Jarrel and Angie Parkinson for the photos!

        Tom Fournier
        41st Regiment of Foot
      • glifencible
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 12, 2004
          Great shots Tom.

          I've posted some from today:

          http://glengarrylightinfantry.ca

          Regards
          Bill

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Fournier"
          <tom4141fournier@y...> wrote:
          > A few photos have been posted in the photo section from the Backus
          > Mills event held near Long Point in Ontario this past weekend.
          >
          > The 41st were in attendance only on the Saturday. It is a really
          > cool site and a neat event.
          >
          > Thanks to Carole Jarrel and Angie Parkinson for the photos!
          >
          > Tom Fournier
          > 41st Regiment of Foot
        • westhouse03
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 13, 2004
            On behalf of the 1st (Royal Scots) Regiment of Foot I would like to
            extend congratulations on a very fine weekend at the Backus Heritage
            Village, and a thank you to the staff of the village and the Norfolk
            Militia for hosting everyone once again.
            Congratulations also to Richard Feltoe for putting together such fine
            battle scenarios and for all those who brought them off so well.
            Well done. Nice to see lots of action on multiple fronts.

            Dave Westhouse
            Lance Corporal, 1st (Royal Scots) Regiment
            President, Upper Thames Military Re-enactment Society
            http://www.royal-scots.com
          • Kevin Windsor
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 13, 2004
              And to you Lance Corporal! Congratulations on the promotion. Don't
              spend it all on booze and women.

              Kevin
              89th Reg't

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "westhouse03" <westhouse@s...>
              wrote:

              > Dave Westhouse
              > Lance Corporal, 1st (Royal Scots) Regiment
            • Paul Kelly
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 13, 2004
                Oh behalf of the Incorporated Militia Of Upper Canada I would also
                like to add our thanks and congratulations for a superbly run event
                this past weekend at Bachus Mills! What truly great ground to stage
                the weekend battles! Richard, I do believe you had too much fun!
                This event is certainly a gem in the 1812 season! We all look
                forward to returning and defending our "home" at Bachus Mills in
                2005!

                Paul Kelly
                Secretary
                Military Re-Enactment Society of Canada
                Incorporated Militia Of Upper Canada & Campfollowers

                wrote:
                > On behalf of the 1st (Royal Scots) Regiment of Foot I would like
                > extend congratulations on a very fine weekend at the Backus
                Heritage
                > Village, and a thank you to the staff of the village and the
                Norfolk
                > Militia for hosting everyone once again.
                > Congratulations also to Richard Feltoe for putting together such
                fine
                > battle scenarios and for all those who brought them off so well.
                > Well done. Nice to see lots of action on multiple fronts.
                >
                > Dave Westhouse
                > Lance Corporal, 1st (Royal Scots) Regiment
                > President, Upper Thames Military Re-enactment Society
                > http://www.royal-scots.com
              • Peter Monahan
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 13, 2004
                  Bill

                  Wonderful shots, as usual! Do you have an e-dress for Wilbur?

                  Peter Monahan

                  > From: "glifencible" <can_eh_dian@...>
                  > Date: 2004/09/12 Sun PM 10:34:03 EST
                  > To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
                  > Subject: [WarOf1812] Re: Backus Mills
                  >

                  > Great shots Tom.
                  >
                  > I've posted some from today:
                  >
                  > http://glengarrylightinfantry.ca
                  >
                  > Regards
                  > Bill
                  >
                  > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Fournier"
                  > <tom4141fournier@y...> wrote:
                  > > A few photos have been posted in the photo section from the Backus
                  > > Mills event held near Long Point in Ontario this past weekend.
                  > >
                  > > The 41st were in attendance only on the Saturday. It is a really
                  > > cool site and a neat event.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks to Carole Jarrel and Angie Parkinson for the photos!
                  > >
                  > > Tom Fournier
                  > > 41st Regiment of Foot

                  Peter Monahan
                • Paul Kelly
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 13, 2004
                    A few picts from the IMUC/Campfollower/Dead-cam have also been added
                    to Tom's Bachus Mill Photo file. Thanks go to Darlene Kingstone for
                    many of the battle shots.

                    Paul Kelly

                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 13, 2004
                      From: "glifencible" <can_eh_dian@...>

                      I've posted some from today:

                      http://glengarrylightinfantry.ca

                      Bill

                      I must still have jet-lag
                      as I can only find:

                      Fort Erie Garrison 2004
                      Grand Tactical 2004
                      Holstein Maple Fest 2004
                      Fort York Drill 2004
                      Older Images

                      at your site and no Backus Mill photos

                      Yrs.,

                      L2
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 13, 2004
                        From: "glifencible" <can_eh_dian@...>

                        I've posted some from today:

                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 13, 2004
                          Click on the green dot on the map. It's above the "E R" in Lake Erie.

                          Regards
                          Bill

                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@n...> wrote:

> [...]
                        • capt_haha
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 4 8:35 PM
                            Please be advised that Backus Mills event has
                            been confirmed for Sep't 10th and 11th 05, at
                            Backus Mills Conservation Area, Port Rowan Ont.
                            The event will feature two reenactments on Sat.
                            plus one tactical on Sunday Morning and as well
                            as an afternoon battle reenactment.
                            Again this year Richard Feltoe has agreed to co-
                            ordinate the Battle scenarios.
                            Saturday dinner will be available as in past
                            years.
                            On line registration info will follow.
                            Best regards Larry Hanna
                            Captain Norfolk Militia

                            =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=
                            2005 Crown Forces Events
                            =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=

                            April 9-10 Crown Forces School, Fort York, Toronto

                            Sat April 9 School of Instruction: Infantry Officers & NCOs
                            (All Crown Forces Officers and NCO's encouraged to attend)

                            Sat April 9 School of Instruction: Historical Cooking Workshop
                            (All Crown Forces cooks encouraged to attend)

                            Sun April 10 School of Instruction: Artillery Officers & Crews
                            (Crown Forces Artillery Officers/Crews encouraged to attend)

                            June 4-5 Battle of Stoney Creek, Hamilton Ont.
                            (Crown Forces Event - All Crown Forces encouraged to attend)

                            July 16-17 Annual 1812 Grand Tactical, Ft. George, Ont.
                            (All Crown and USA Forces encouraged to attend)

                            July 16-17 School of the Sailor, Navy Hall, Fort George, Ont.
                            (All Crown Navy Forces encouraged to attend

                            August 20-21 Fort Niagara 1812 Weekend, Youngstown N.Y.
                            (Crown Forces Event - All Crown Forces encouraged to attend)
                            - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ -

                            June 25-26 Napoleonic Grand Encampment, Old Bedford Village, PA.
                            (Crown Forces attend by Invitation)
                            =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                            2005 WAR Of 1812 Events List
                            =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

                            Jan 8-9 Battle of New Orleans
                            Jan 22 River Raisin Battle Monroe, MI

                            Feb 19-20 Battle of Ogdensburg, Ogdensburg, NY

                            March 5 Living History Conference, Mohawk College, Hamilton Ont

                            April 9-10 Crown Forces School, Fort York, Toronto
                            Sat April 9 Infantry Officers & NCOs School of Instruction
                            Sat April 9 Historical Cooking Workshop
                            Sun April 10 Artillery Officers & Crews School of Instruction

                            April 16-17 2nd Annual Fort Meigs Clothing Conference Perrysburg,
                            Ohio
                            April 15-17 Peninsula Napoleonic Campaign, Anza, CA
                            April 22-24 School of the 1812 American Soldier Ft Massac,
                            Metropolis, Il.

                            May 7-8 Battle of Longwoods London Ont
                            May 7-8 Attack on Havre De Grace, MD
                            May 14-15 Militia Muster - Pine City, Minnesota
                            May 21 Militia Muster, Sully, VA
                            May 28-29 Talbot Settlement Raids - Tyrconnel, Ont
                            May 28-29 Fort Meigs Perrysburg Ohio

                            June 4-5 Battle of Stoney Creek, Hamilton Ont.
                            June 4-5 Shandy Hall Encampment, Geneva, Ohio
                            June 11-12 Militia Muster Georgina Pioneer Village, Keswick, Ont
                            June 18-19 Genesee Country Village Mumford, N.Y.
                            June 18-19 Battle of Craney Island, Ft Norfolk, VA
                            June 17-19 Waterloo/Plancenoit, 190th Anniversary, Belgium
                            June 25-26 Napoleonic Grand Encampment, Old Bedford Village, PA

                            July 16-17 Annual 1812 Grand Tactical, Ft. George
                            July 16-17 School of the Sailor, Navy Hall, Fort George, Ont.
                            July 16-17 Prairie du Chien, Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin
                            July 22-24 Wasaga under Siege 1812, Wasaga Beach, Ont
                            July 30-31 Fort Malden's Military Time Line Amherstburg Ont

                            Aug 6-7 Fort Erie, Ont
                            Aug 12-14 McArthur's Raid Kanata Village Brantford, Ontario
                            Aug 13 Battle of Bladensburg, Riversdale, MD
                            Aug 20-21 Fort Niagara 1812 Weekend, Youngstown N.Y.
                            Aug 20-21 Hancocks Resolution/Caulk's Field, Pasadena, MD
                            Aug 27-28 Fanshawe 1812 Encampment, London, Ont

                            Sept 9-11 Battle of Plattsburgh, Plattsburgh, N.Y.
                            Sept 10-11 Backus Mill, Port Rown, Ont
                            Sept 10-11 Battle of Lake Erie Event, Put-in-Bay, OH
                            Sep 10-11 Defenders Day, Ft McHenry, Baltimore, MD
                            Sept 24 Battle of St Leonards Creek, Jefferson-Patterson Park,
                            MD

                            Oct 1-2 Faire at the Forks, Chatham, ON
                            Oct 7-9 Mississinewa 1812 Marion Ind.

                            Nov 5-6 Muster on the Wabash, Vincennes, IN

                            =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                            2006 WAR Of 1812 Events List
                            =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

                            Oct 13-15 Mississinewa 1812 Marion Ind.

                            ----------------- Fini -------------
                          • glifencible
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 11, 2005
                              Great event, food and weather. Northern lights too! Pictures are
                              posted: http://glengarrylightinfantry.ca

                              Special thanks to Chris for the camera batteries, and Jesse for taking
                              the shots.

                              Regards
                              Bill
                            • Dave Westhouse
                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 11, 2005
                                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "glifencible" <blongo@s...> wrote:
                                > Great event, food and weather.

                                Echoing Bill's comment the event was great.
                                3 Cheers to the site, the Norfolk Militia and Sergeant Feltoe.

                                More pictures on the Royal Scots site
                                http://www.royalscotsgrenadiers.com/images.html

                                The kids and some others enjoyed the astronomy event Saturday evening.
                                Besides the Astronomy and Archeological find happened at the event too.
                                Private Paul Westhouse while sleeping under our fly discovered a fire
                                blow pipe in the dirt under him.
                                Ok it wasn't old and historical, we actually lost it at Backus last
                                year. We didn't even know we had lost it but now have it back after it
                                sat in that spot this last entire year just waiting for us to come back.

                                On behalf of the Royal Scots Grenadiers thank you Norfolk for a great
                                weekend. Saturday evening was especially enjoyable, see pictures on
                                website.

                                Dave Westhouse, Corporal
                                1st (Royal Scots) Grenadiers.
                              • Paul Kelly
                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 13, 2005
                                  On behalf of the Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada/Connecticut
                                  (!) I would like to thank Larry Hanna, The Norfolk Militia, Richard
                                  Feltoe and all the staff and volunteers at the Backus Mill
                                  Conservation Area for hosting such a superb 1812 event this past
                                  weekend. As a favour to the Norfolk, IMUC portrayed US forces under
                                  the command of Tom Hurlbutt. Now that we have been to "the dark
                                  side" we found we kind of liked it!!! The forces of "Upper
                                  Connecticut" look forward to returning to Backus Mill 2006!

                                  Some pictures c/o of the many IMUC&Campfollower-cams can be found on
                                  our IMUC website at http://www.imuc.org/photos/backus05.htm

                                  Again thanks for a well run event!

                                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Westhouse" <westhouse@s...>
                                  wrote:
                                  > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "glifencible" <blongo@s...>
                                  wrote:
                                  > > Great event, food and weather.
                                  >
                                  > Echoing Bill's comment the event was great.
                                  > 3 Cheers to the site, the Norfolk Militia and Sergeant Feltoe.
                                  >
                                  > More pictures on the Royal Scots site
                                  > http://www.royalscotsgrenadiers.com/images.html
                                  >
                                  > The kids and some others enjoyed the astronomy event Saturday
                                  evening.
                                  > Besides the Astronomy and Archeological find happened at the event
                                  too.
                                  > Private Paul Westhouse while sleeping under our fly discovered a
                                  fire
                                  > blow pipe in the dirt under him.
                                  > Ok it wasn't old and historical, we actually lost it at Backus last
                                  > year. We didn't even know we had lost it but now have it back
                                  after it
                                  > sat in that spot this last entire year just waiting for us to come
                                  back.

                                  > On behalf of the Royal Scots Grenadiers thank you Norfolk for a
                                  great
                                  > weekend. Saturday evening was especially enjoyable, see pictures on
                                  > website.
                                  >
                                  > Dave Westhouse, Corporal
                                  > 1st (Royal Scots) Grenadiers.
                                • Stephen Posner
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 16, 2005
                                    Our thanks to the Norfolk Militia, and everyone involved in this year's
                                    Backus event. Even though I didn't participate in the battles, it was a
                                    great weekend.

                                    I've finally downloaded the photos I took which can be accessed at the link
                                    below.

                                    http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/past-reflections@.../album?.dir=30bc&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/past-reflections@.../my_photos

                                    That was our last event for the year, so have a great winter and see you at
                                    Stoney Creek!

                                    Stephen & Karen Posner
                                  • Stephen Posner
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 16, 2009
                                      Hi Everyone

                                      I've been reading the comments about Backus, and it certainly sounds like everybody, reenactors and public alike, had a wonderful time.

                                      I gather from Richard Feltoe that a number of reenactors were asking after me, and enquiring how I am doing.

                                      At first I did plan to come to the event, in fact both Karen and I were planning to be there. However the week before I decided that I just couldn't face being there. Backus was Karen's favourite event, and I would have been sleeping in exactly the same location that the two of us always stayed. It was just too raw.

                                      As for how I'm doing, it's a roller-coaster ride, and I never know until I get up and start moving how I'll be. Generally though, I'm not bad. This is my second week back at work as the discipline is definitely good for me. Also with all of my friends and family around me, there isn't a day goes by when someone doesn't contact me to make sure I'm OK.

                                      My sincere thanks to everyone who as sent their good wishes, and hopefully I will see you all next season.

                                      If anyone is wanting to contact me directly, you can reach me at sposner@...

                                      Stephen Posner

                                    • Larry
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Sep 6, 2010
                                        Greatings Everyone
                                        We have just completed our final planning meeting for the
                                        Backus event. Registrations are 350 in number.
                                        This means that their are 350 meal tickets available for
                                        Saturdays dinner<those who pre registered.>
                                        We will try to accomodate the Walk on's etc. but cannot
                                        Guarantee that you will be fed .
                                        Also For those used to Ant Erie's Kitchen, will not be
                                        availible this time around. Only ice cream and drinks
                                        are to be served.
                                        You may set up your camps any time on Friday Am or Pm.
                                        There are three battle scenario's and one skirmish planned
                                        for this weekend.
                                        There are 19 sutlers registered for Backus. Why are their
                                        tent sizes expanding every year......?
                                        Best regards Larry Hanna
                                        Norfolk Militia Heritage Regiment
                                      • RogerH11
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Sep 10, 2010
                                          Thanks Larry.

                                          Is there a schedule available?

                                          Roger

                                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry" <capt_haha@...> wrote:

                                          > Greatings Everyone
                                          > We have just completed our final planning meeting for the
                                          > Backus event. Registrations are 350 in number.
                                          > This means that their are 350 meal tickets available for
                                          > Saturdays dinner<those who pre registered.>
                                          > We will try to accomodate the Walk on's etc. but cannot
                                          > Guarantee that you will be fed .
                                          > Also For those used to Ant Erie's Kitchen, will not be
                                          > availible this time around. Only ice cream and drinks
                                          > are to be served.
                                          > You may set up your camps any time on Friday Am or Pm.
                                          > There are three battle scenario's and one skirmish planned
                                          > for this weekend.
                                          > There are 19 sutlers registered for Backus. Why are their
                                          > tent sizes expanding every year......?
                                          > Best regards Larry Hanna
                                          > Norfolk Militia Heritage Regiment

                                        • tom4141fournier
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Sep 10, 2010
                                            There is a good chance that Larry is in transit or at the site already.

                                            Here is something that I pulled off a message that was circulating on Facebook:

                                            Schedule of Events

                                            Friday September 10th

                                            Registration Open - Each person must register to receive information
                                            package,parking pass and sign photo waiver 9:00 am - 1:00 am

                                            Saturday September 11th

                                            Free coffee available in the Forbes Barn 6:00 am - 10:00 am

                                            Officers' Call - Cherry Valley School 9:00 am

                                            Encampments, Sutlers Row and Heritage Village Open 10:00 am
                                            Conservation Education Centre and Backhouse Mill Open 10:00 am

                                            Morning Parade and Inspection 10:00 am

                                            Ice Delivery for pre-orders - parking lot beside Aunt Erie's Kitchen

                                            10:00 am Public Tour - meet at the Homestead (particpants will be led to
                                            skirmish site) 10:15 am
                                            Skirmish down by the Backhouse Mill & Mill Pond 11:00 am
                                            Grist Mill Tour (following skirmish) 11:45 am
                                            Gun Fire & Musket Demonstration - Field in front of Militia Cabin 12:00 pm
                                            Heritage Village Tour - meet at Heritage Building 1:00 pm
                                            Battle Re-enactment - Heritage Village 2:00 pm
                                            Village Tour resumes - meet at Cherry Valley Schoolhouse 3:00 pm
                                            Meet the Surgeons - Cherry Valley Schoolhouse 3:00 pm
                                            Demonstration - Dyeing Techniques, Evelyn Franklin Weavers' Guild - Herb Garden
                                            3:00 pm
                                            Mini Militia - Forbes Barn 3:30 pm
                                            Encampments, Sutlers Row and All Buildings Close 4:00 pm
                                            Ice Delivery for pre-orders - parking lot beside Aunt Erie's Kitchen 4:00 pm
                                            Dinner - Please bring your own dishes, Forbes Barn 6:00 pm (tickets required)
                                            Speed Loading Competition - Field in front of Militia Cabin 7:00 pm
                                            Guided Cemetery Walk with Wanda Backus-Kelly - meet at Forbes Barn 7:00 pm
                                            Rounders - All Welcome. Valley area below Cherry Valley Schoolhouse 7:30 pm
                                            Regency Dance, music by Joe Rohrer - Forbes Barn 8:30 pm

                                            Sunday September 12th

                                            Free coffee available in the Forbes Barn 6:00 am - 10:00 am
                                            Morning Skirmish 8:30 am
                                            Offi cers' Call - Cherry Valley School 9:30 am
                                            Encampments, Sutlers Row and Heritage Village Open 10:00 am
                                            Conservation Education Centre and Backhouse Mill Open 10:00 am
                                            Morning Parade and Inspection 10:00 am
                                            Church Service led by Rev. Marc Bertrand 41st Regiment of Foot - Teeterville
                                            Church 10:00 am
                                            Ice Delivery for pre-orders - parking lot beside Aunt Erie's Kitchen 10:00 am
                                            Gun Fire & Musket Demonstration - Field in front of Militia Cabin 12:00 pm
                                            Native Allies Demonstration - location TBD 1:00 pm
                                            Battle Re-enactment in the Heritage Village 2:00 pm
                                            Demonstration - Dyeing Techniques, Evelyn Franklin Weavers' Guild - Herb Garden
                                            3:00 pm
                                            Mini Militia - Forbes Barn 3:30 pm
                                            Encampments, Sutlers Row and All Buildings Close 4:00 pm
                                            Watch for a variety of special activities taking place throughout
                                            the Heritage Village during the weekend including:
                                            Kazoo show by Sutler Cyrus • Story telling with Shaymus • Pottery work by Sutler
                                            Penni Stoddart
                                            • Blacksmithing demonstration by Joe Arnold & Kent Williams •
                                            • Antique Gun display each day from 10 am - 4 pm •
                                            • Evelyn Franklin Weavers' Guild spinning and weaving demonstrations in the
                                            Weaving Shoppe •
                                          • roy winders
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Sep 10, 2012
                                              On behalf of The British Indian Dept. I wish to thank the volunteers and staff of Backus Mills,
                                              Robin, who seemed to be in more than one place at all times,
                                              the officers and men from both sides of the line for making the battle scenarios so much fun,
                                              our neighbours the Imuc who most graciously welcomed us into their fold.
                                              Last but not least, my men who always make me proud on the field.

                                              Roy Winders, Capt. B.I.D.