Re: [WarOf1812] Schooner Perseverance

  • John-Paul Johnson
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 6, 2003
      Hee hee hee, I wondered how long it would take for you to reply.

      I just finished reading "Fighting Sail on Lake Huron and Georgian Bay -
      The War of 1812 and its Aftermath" by Barry Gough. It includes the
      story of the Perserverance both original and modern. I recommend it.

      J-P Johnson
      Bulger's Coy
      Royal N.F.Land Reg't

      David J. Brunelle wrote:

      >The Management at Discovery Harbour let the Perseverance rot away and it
      >became a very embarrassing situation for them and instead of fixing the
      >problem or trying to find some other historical organization that might want
      >to take control of her and do something with her, they decided to rip her
      >apart and burn her just this past summer. They also did this with the only
      >remaining period pensioner wooden home from the 1840's.
      >
      >It's funny!! I never saw "Slash and Burn 101" at university when I took
      >Anthropology and Curatorial courses, obviously someone at Discovery Harbour
      >did.
      >
      >Its a great loss, should be a crime and huge shame!!!
      >
      >I'm sure the rotting hull of the original Tecumseh wasting away to the
      >elements in the north parking lot is next !!!!
      >
      >David Brunelle
      >Penetanguishene

    • David J. Brunelle
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 6, 2003
        Dear Peter,

        Yes a replica of the Perseverance was stationed at Discovery Harbour
        from about 1993 to about 1996. It was used as a static display in order to
        always have a tall ship present at the site when the Bee and Tecumseh were
        out sailing. The fate of her after that is detailed in my previous e-mail!!

        It was brought to Discovery Harbour from Old Fort William were it was built
        for sailing but was built wrong and was not sea worthy and dry docked. It
        was transferred to Discovery Harbour after a few years of sitting around.

        Need anymore info on this topic let me know as I know the entire story !!

        Dave Brunelle
        Penetanguishene

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 7, 2003
          Dear Angela,

          This might make a good article for your northwest journal!!! Need more
          info let me know!!!

          David Brunelle

          > During our wanderings this summer, we found a kit to make a wooden model
          > of the NWCo topsail schooner _Perseverance._
          >
          > The _Perseverance_ was captured and destroyed by Americans at Sault Ste.
          > Marie during the War of 1812; a note on the back of the model says that
          > a replica is at Discovery Harbour, in Penetanguishene, Ontario. However,
          > there is no mention of _Perseverance_ on their website. An old webpage
          > refers to Perseverance being at Penetanguishene in 1996. Can somebody
          > fill me in? Has it been moved, or renamed?
          >
          > Your very humble & most obedient servant,
          > Angela Gottfred
          > www.northwestjournal.ca

          square miles...

        • petemonahan@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 7, 2003
            Angela

            Oops! My bad! Obviously, I should have checked (with Dave) before I
            sounded. Silly of me not to realize that the battered old hulk referrred to locally
            as "the Percy" was Perseverance. So sorry but glad Dave got it sorted out for
            you.

            Peter M