Schooner Perseverance

  • Angela Gottfred
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 6, 2003
      During our wanderings this summer, we found a kit to make a wooden model
      of the NWCo topsail schooner _Perseverance._

      The _Perseverance_ was captured and destroyed by Americans at Sault Ste.
      Marie during the War of 1812; a note on the back of the model says that
      a replica is at Discovery Harbour, in Penetanguishene, Ontario. However,
      there is no mention of _Perseverance_ on their website. An old webpage
      refers to Perseverance being at Penetanguishene in 1996. Can somebody
      fill me in? Has it been moved, or renamed?

      Your very humble & most obedient servant,
      Angela Gottfred
      www.northwestjournal.ca
    • petemonahan@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 6, 2003
        Angela

        I saw the same kit in Nova Scotia last month! Here's my tuppence worth, and
        don't quote me (yet) 'cause it's a late evening off the top of my head thing.
        (I'll check details a.s.ap.)

        In 1814 two American schooners, Tigress & Scorpion, supported the US brig
        Niagara and her troops in an attack (unsuccessful) on Fort Michillimackinac,
        then cruised north to the Sault and burned the NW Comapny post and the
        Perseverance.
        When Niagara went south they stayed to cruise the upper lakes and were able
        to trap and destroy the schooner HMS Nancy at Wasaga Beach. Two weeks later
        the 2 were captured by members of the Royal Newfoundland Reg't under a Lt.
        Bulger.

        Taken to Discovery Harbour, Penetanguishene, they were re-named "Surprise"
        and
        "Defiance". I believe they were broken up in the '30's. The Br vessels
        "Tecumseh" and "Bee" were also stationed at D. Harbour. Both now exist there as
        replicas, re-built and re-commissined as (honorary) HMS ships. As far as I
        know, no other ful size replica craft have been stationed there in the last half
        century. However, there is a group called "Atlantic Challenge Canada" who
        teach seamanship to young people and compete in tri-annual races using small open
        craft called "Bantry boats". One of those is called "Perseverance" - I've
        sailed in her. They have a website too.

        All for now but I'll check further and let you know if I've erred in any of
        the above.

        Peter Monahan, Sgt
        Bulger's Company, Royal Nfld Reg't

      • David J. Brunelle
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 6, 2003
          The Management at Discovery Harbour let the Perseverance rot away and it
          became a very embarrassing situation for them and instead of fixing the
          problem or trying to find some other historical organization that might want
          to take control of her and do something with her, they decided to rip her
          apart and burn her just this past summer. They also did this with the only
          remaining period pensioner wooden home from the 1840's.

          It's funny!! I never saw "Slash and Burn 101" at university when I took
          Anthropology and Curatorial courses, obviously someone at Discovery Harbour
          did.

          Its a great loss, should be a crime and huge shame!!!

          I'm sure the rotting hull of the original Tecumseh wasting away to the
          elements in the north parking lot is next !!!!

          David Brunelle
          Penetanguishene

          > During our wanderings this summer, we found a kit to make a wooden model
          > of the NWCo topsail schooner _Perseverance._
          >
          > The _Perseverance_ was captured and destroyed by Americans at Sault Ste.
          > Marie during the War of 1812; a note on the back of the model says that
          > a replica is at Discovery Harbour, in Penetanguishene, Ontario. However,
          > there is no mention of _Perseverance_ on their website. An old webpage
          > refers to Perseverance being at Penetanguishene in 1996. Can somebody
          > fill me in? Has it been moved, or renamed?
          >
          > Your very humble & most obedient servant,
          > Angela Gottfred
          > www.northwestjournal.ca

          square miles...

        • John-Paul Johnson
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 6, 2003
            Hee hee hee, I wondered how long it would take for you to reply.

            I just finished reading "Fighting Sail on Lake Huron and Georgian Bay -
            The War of 1812 and its Aftermath" by Barry Gough. It includes the
            story of the Perserverance both original and modern. I recommend it.

            J-P Johnson
            Bulger's Coy
            Royal N.F.Land Reg't

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 6, 2003
              Dear Peter,

              Yes a replica of the Perseverance was stationed at Discovery Harbour
              from about 1993 to about 1996. It was used as a static display in order to
              always have a tall ship present at the site when the Bee and Tecumseh were
              out sailing. The fate of her after that is detailed in my previous e-mail!!

              It was brought to Discovery Harbour from Old Fort William were it was built
              for sailing but was built wrong and was not sea worthy and dry docked. It
              was transferred to Discovery Harbour after a few years of sitting around.

              Need anymore info on this topic let me know as I know the entire story !!

              Dave Brunelle
              Penetanguishene

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 7, 2003
                Dear Angela,

                This might make a good article for your northwest journal!!! Need more
                info let me know!!!

                David Brunelle

                > During our wanderings this summer, we found a kit to make a wooden model
                > of the NWCo topsail schooner _Perseverance._
                >
                > The _Perseverance_ was captured and destroyed by Americans at Sault Ste.
                > Marie during the War of 1812; a note on the back of the model says that
                > a replica is at Discovery Harbour, in Penetanguishene, Ontario. However,
                > there is no mention of _Perseverance_ on their website. An old webpage
                > refers to Perseverance being at Penetanguishene in 1996. Can somebody
                > fill me in? Has it been moved, or renamed?
                >
                > Your very humble & most obedient servant,
                > Angela Gottfred
                > www.northwestjournal.ca

                square miles...

              • petemonahan@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 7, 2003
                  Angela

                  Oops! My bad! Obviously, I should have checked (with Dave) before I
                  sounded. Silly of me not to realize that the battered old hulk referrred to locally
                  as "the Percy" was Perseverance. So sorry but glad Dave got it sorted out for
                  you.

                  Peter M