Re: [WarOf1812] The issue of Rum .........

  • Ed Seufert
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 5, 2003
      Your Lordship,

      As you may well know (and experienced), the Royal Marines always have their issue of grog at every event.

      Ed Seufert
      1812 Royal Marines
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 6, 2003
        From: "Ed Seufert" <LCpl_RM@...>

        As you may well know (and experienced), the Royal Marines
        always have their issue of grog at every event.

        Yes indeed Sgt. Seufert, the libation you presented me was
        just what the Doctor ordered! but ....... one can always count
        on His Majesty's Marines! You do such a fine impression,
        Huzzah to you and yours!

        My Rum of choice has always been Pusser's Rum. Sad I am
        to find that it is no longer sold in Ontario. It came in three types
        corresponding to the ensigns flown by the British Navy, and it's
        label reflected this, red, blue and white.

        From Pusser's web site:

        Pusser's Rum is born out of a British Naval tradition of the 17th century
        when
        it was traditional for each Royal Navy sailor to receive a daily rum ration.
        This was done by the ship's purser (consequently corrupted to "pusser").
        It is a premium blend of six rums from Guyana, Trinidad and The British
        Virgin Islands. It is distilled in pot stills resulting in a high strength
        of 54.5% vol.
        Visit: http://www.cowen.co.uk/pussers.htm and
        http://www.pussers.com/Pussersrum.htm

        Also found this:

        "REDCOAT"

        3 doses of Light Rum
        1 dose of Apricot Brandy
        1 dose Vodka
        1 dose of Lime Juice
        a dash of Grenadine

        Shake all ingredients with ice
        Strain into a cocktail glass and serve.

        Cheers!

        L. Lozon
      • Robert White
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 6, 2003
          Sgt. Seufert or Mr. Lozon: Our stocks of Pusser's Rum captured from HMS Guerriere and Java have long since run dry. We have plenty of water and can certainly get the limes. How might we replenish our stock of rum if you know? We can also certainly make room for the appropriate sipping time after our exhausting drills. Tried the website listed by Larry but they don't sell on-line yet. I figure if I ask to take Constitution out for a supply run that all I will get from the Navy is a blank stare. Sometimes, they just don't havge a clue as to what is really important. If it had been up to either the Royal or U.S. Marines grog would still be issued daily. As we say in the real Corps, "U.S. Marines a part of the Department of the Navy - the men's department". Bob White 1812 Marines on board Constitution.

          Larry Lozon <lalozon@...> wrote:From: "Ed Seufert" <LCpl_RM@...>

          As you may well know (and experienced), the Royal Marines
          always have their issue of grog at every event.

          Yes indeed Sgt. Seufert, the libation you presented me was
          just what the Doctor ordered! but ....... one can always count
          on His Majesty's Marines! You do such a fine impression,
          Huzzah to you and yours!

          My Rum of choice has always been Pusser's Rum. Sad I am
          to find that it is no longer sold in Ontario. It came in three types
          corresponding to the ensigns flown by the British Navy, and it's
          label reflected this, red, blue and white.

          From Pusser's web site:

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 7, 2003
            From: "Robert White" <whiteesq@...>

            Sgt. Seufert or Mr. Lozon:

            Our stocks of Pusser's .... have long since run dry....
            How might we replenish our stock of rum if you know?

            My Dear Mr. White,

            I indeed do know, how you might replenish your
            stock of Pusser's Rum as there is a Liquor Store in
            Marian Indiana, about 5 minutes from the Battle of
            Mississinewa 1812 site, which I shall be attending,
            thus, I don't know about you on board Constitution,
            but those of us attending this 'SUPER' event will have
            the added bonus of replenishing our supply of Pusser's
            Rum in the BIG bottles!!

            I am Sir, Yours & etc.,c.

            L. Lozon ~ AdC, Crown Forces

            Greenock Hall
            Near the Mohawk Settlement
            Grand River Upper Canada

            ~
          • HQ93rd@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 8, 2003
              In a message dated 6/09/2003 6:57:08 AM, lalozon@... writes:

              > Also found this:
              >
              > "REDCOAT"
              >
              > 3 doses of Light Rum
              > 1 dose of Apricot Brandy
              > 1 dose Vodka
              > 1 dose of Lime Juice
              > a dash of Grenadine

              Hey! I just did that a minbute ago only sbecause it wasd all i had inb the
              bar.
              Tasted n prtetty gopof too, I might® add.

              93rd SHRoFLHU
              THE Thin Red Line
              www.93rdhighlanders.com

            • HQ93rd@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 8, 2003
                In a message dated 5/09/2003 6:42:39 PM, zorniak@... writes:

                > As re-enactors we try to be upstanding (and if we can't we find a tree
                > to lean or tinkle on with the help a gracious lady to help us back to
                > our tents...Larry and Ray I dare you to say it is not so) in our
                > behaviour as a soldier of the King.

                Oh my!
                Now you have me started!
                One of my fondest reenacting memories (and yes, this says a lot about me) was
                Waterloo 1995. We were in the middle of the pre-battle "death march" through
                the local villages. As we were following mindlesslessly down some street in
                the countryside, a halt was ordered (from who and where miles up ahead, we had
                no idea.)
                The lads of the Highland Brigade being a vocal sort, passed word up of their
                concern regarding the state of their bladders.
                Me, being a fair minded sort, always attune to the stream of humanity, gave
                in a loud voice whilst pointing to an adjacent hedgerow, the order for the
                relevance thereof of any needing to do so.
                The column emptied from the street.
                Including the good Commander of the 42nd of Britain, My good friend Glenn
                Robinson.
                (Me? I -- or at least back then -- can hold it like a Texaco tanker, so I
                remained at my post at the head of my column. Also a good place for photos...).
                Whistles and catcalls erupted form the "sassenach" units around us...due
                primarily to the fact that period trousers with all those buttons on the
                drop-front, are not as urinversally adapted to hedgerows as a 'Free-Willy" kilt.
                My soldiers were relieved, I was regarded with esteem, and the parade
                resumed.

                And yes, (take note especially Peter Catley) I DO still have that photo of
                Capt. Glenn Robinson, 42nd Foot, pisswa-ing on a Belgian hedgerow!

                93rd SHRoFLHU
                THE Thin Red Line
                www.93rdhighlanders.com

              • Peter Catley
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 8, 2003
                  And yes, (take note especially Peter Catley) I DO still have that photo of
                  Capt. Glenn Robinson, 42nd Foot, pisswa-ing on a Belgian hedgerow!

                  How much?

                  P**

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  square miles...