Re: The issue of Rum .........

  • glifencible
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 5, 2003
      Colonel Edward Baynes was a Glen... what are you trying to say? :)
      *hic*

      Bill

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 5, 2003
        From: "glifencible" <glifencibles@...>

        Colonel Edward Baynes was a Glen... what are you trying to say? :)
        *hic*

        William,

        I be asking,

        Do you (the Glens) exemplify the 'Rum Allotment'
        or portray the "Consumption" of it ....;^)
      • Don Zorniak
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 5, 2003
          I could not help but smile when I discovered this thread.

          Back in 1999 I was doing some research into the Regiment de Meuron in
          the wild west (okay the west) when they were under the employ of the 5th
          Earl of Selkirk in the Red River Settlement.

          As re-enactors we try to be upstanding (and if we can't we find a tree
          to lean or tinkle on with the help a gracious lady to help us back to
          our tents...Larry and Ray I dare you to say it is not so) in our
          behaviour as a soldier of the King. The Rgt de M...a wild and perhaps
          woollyy bunch of mercenaries while in the employ of Selkirk should be a
          fine example for the rest of us to follow in order to perfect our
          persona. The following was taken from a primary source...The Selkirk
          Papers...and is presented to show the important role rum played in the
          life of a soldier:

          THE REGIMENT de MEURUM?

          The Selkirk Papers provide an interesting insight into the role alcohol
          played in the life of the common soldier.

          Matthey writes to Selkirk on June 5 of 1816, that all is well in their
          preparation to leave La Chine, he comments " All the stragglers, but one
          Christian Shink a desperate drunkard, who will join I dare say
          tomorrow." is being waited on.

          Matthey writes again from Isle Perrault on June 8 " Some of my men in
          the clouds of Drunkenness have left their Sacs, Packs, etc at La Chine-
          I beg Graffenried may be requested to look for them in the Stores or
          thereabouts and bring them with the Baggage of his detachment."

          While waiting out bad weather on the island Matthey continues "We have
          however not spent so much of the provisions as might be supposed - our
          men have bought up all the Geese, Turkeys, eggs and fowls of the Isle
          Perrault, they have exhausted the canteen of wine and rum, and thank
          God, the most desperate drinkers have exhausted their money." He
          continues referring to Graffenried's detachment " I hope his men are as
          merry as mine - its is 11 o'clock P.M. they are dancing and singing in
          high stile."

          From Holland Landing on June 29 Matthey again writes Selkirk "Several of
          the men pretend Your Lordship had promised them Rum as a daily ration -
          I have insisted to the contrary, allowing them however some every day a
          measure I found absolutely necessary to keep their spirits up after
          hard work. - Wheening them too suddenly of that sweet milk must have
          produced an unfavorable revolution - moral and spiritual."

          Matthey writes from Kemperfelt Bay on July 1 " In Watteville and Meurons
          ~ still musters 66 - who behave pretty well but not without exceptions.
          - Rum, with the exertions they make is indispensably necessary, and
          thoug(h) I spare it as much as possible, find we shall run short..We
          have about 14 Kegs of nine Gallons each left - the rum is given out at
          the rate of 1 gallon for 40 men a day."

          Primarily Source: The Selkirk Papers Vol VII p 2327, 2330 - 2332 , 2370
          - 2372, 2392-2394

          I think I will go have a rum!

          Don Zorniak
        • Ed Seufert
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 5, 2003
            Your Lordship,

            As you may well know (and experienced), the Royal Marines always have their issue of grog at every event.

            Ed Seufert
            1812 Royal Marines
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 6, 2003
              From: "Ed Seufert" <LCpl_RM@...>

              As you may well know (and experienced), the Royal Marines
              always have their issue of grog at every event.

              Yes indeed Sgt. Seufert, the libation you presented me was
              just what the Doctor ordered! but ....... one can always count
              on His Majesty's Marines! You do such a fine impression,
              Huzzah to you and yours!

              My Rum of choice has always been Pusser's Rum. Sad I am
              to find that it is no longer sold in Ontario. It came in three types
              corresponding to the ensigns flown by the British Navy, and it's
              label reflected this, red, blue and white.

              From Pusser's web site:

              Pusser's Rum is born out of a British Naval tradition of the 17th century
              when
              it was traditional for each Royal Navy sailor to receive a daily rum ration.
              This was done by the ship's purser (consequently corrupted to "pusser").
              It is a premium blend of six rums from Guyana, Trinidad and The British
              Virgin Islands. It is distilled in pot stills resulting in a high strength
              of 54.5% vol.
              Visit: http://www.cowen.co.uk/pussers.htm and
              http://www.pussers.com/Pussersrum.htm

              Also found this:

              "REDCOAT"

              3 doses of Light Rum
              1 dose of Apricot Brandy
              1 dose Vodka
              1 dose of Lime Juice
              a dash of Grenadine

              Shake all ingredients with ice
              Strain into a cocktail glass and serve.

              Cheers!

              L. Lozon
            • Robert White
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 6, 2003
                Sgt. Seufert or Mr. Lozon: Our stocks of Pusser's Rum captured from HMS Guerriere and Java have long since run dry. We have plenty of water and can certainly get the limes. How might we replenish our stock of rum if you know? We can also certainly make room for the appropriate sipping time after our exhausting drills. Tried the website listed by Larry but they don't sell on-line yet. I figure if I ask to take Constitution out for a supply run that all I will get from the Navy is a blank stare. Sometimes, they just don't havge a clue as to what is really important. If it had been up to either the Royal or U.S. Marines grog would still be issued daily. As we say in the real Corps, "U.S. Marines a part of the Department of the Navy - the men's department". Bob White 1812 Marines on board Constitution.

                Larry Lozon <lalozon@...> wrote:From: "Ed Seufert" <LCpl_RM@...>

                As you may well know (and experienced), the Royal Marines
                always have their issue of grog at every event.

                Yes indeed Sgt. Seufert, the libation you presented me was
                just what the Doctor ordered! but ....... one can always count
                on His Majesty's Marines! You do such a fine impression,
                Huzzah to you and yours!

                My Rum of choice has always been Pusser's Rum. Sad I am
                to find that it is no longer sold in Ontario. It came in three types
                corresponding to the ensigns flown by the British Navy, and it's
                label reflected this, red, blue and white.

                From Pusser's web site:

[...]

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 7, 2003
                  From: "Robert White" <whiteesq@...>

                  Sgt. Seufert or Mr. Lozon:

                  Our stocks of Pusser's .... have long since run dry....
                  How might we replenish our stock of rum if you know?

                  My Dear Mr. White,

                  I indeed do know, how you might replenish your
                  stock of Pusser's Rum as there is a Liquor Store in
                  Marian Indiana, about 5 minutes from the Battle of
                  Mississinewa 1812 site, which I shall be attending,
                  thus, I don't know about you on board Constitution,
                  but those of us attending this 'SUPER' event will have
                  the added bonus of replenishing our supply of Pusser's
                  Rum in the BIG bottles!!

                  I am Sir, Yours & etc.,c.

                  L. Lozon ~ AdC, Crown Forces

                  Greenock Hall
                  Near the Mohawk Settlement
                  Grand River Upper Canada

                  ~
                • HQ93rd@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 8, 2003
                    In a message dated 6/09/2003 6:57:08 AM, lalozon@... writes:

                    > Also found this:
                    >
                    > "REDCOAT"
                    >
                    > 3 doses of Light Rum
                    > 1 dose of Apricot Brandy
                    > 1 dose Vodka
                    > 1 dose of Lime Juice
                    > a dash of Grenadine

                    Hey! I just did that a minbute ago only sbecause it wasd all i had inb the
                    bar.
                    Tasted n prtetty gopof too, I might® add.

                    93rd SHRoFLHU
                    THE Thin Red Line
                    www.93rdhighlanders.com

                  • HQ93rd@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 8, 2003
                      In a message dated 5/09/2003 6:42:39 PM, zorniak@... writes:

                      > As re-enactors we try to be upstanding (and if we can't we find a tree
                      > to lean or tinkle on with the help a gracious lady to help us back to
                      > our tents...Larry and Ray I dare you to say it is not so) in our
                      > behaviour as a soldier of the King.

                      Oh my!
                      Now you have me started!
                      One of my fondest reenacting memories (and yes, this says a lot about me) was
                      Waterloo 1995. We were in the middle of the pre-battle "death march" through
                      the local villages. As we were following mindlesslessly down some street in
                      the countryside, a halt was ordered (from who and where miles up ahead, we had
                      no idea.)
                      The lads of the Highland Brigade being a vocal sort, passed word up of their
                      concern regarding the state of their bladders.
                      Me, being a fair minded sort, always attune to the stream of humanity, gave
                      in a loud voice whilst pointing to an adjacent hedgerow, the order for the
                      relevance thereof of any needing to do so.
                      The column emptied from the street.
                      Including the good Commander of the 42nd of Britain, My good friend Glenn
                      Robinson.
                      (Me? I -- or at least back then -- can hold it like a Texaco tanker, so I
                      remained at my post at the head of my column. Also a good place for photos...).
                      Whistles and catcalls erupted form the "sassenach" units around us...due
                      primarily to the fact that period trousers with all those buttons on the
                      drop-front, are not as urinversally adapted to hedgerows as a 'Free-Willy" kilt.
                      My soldiers were relieved, I was regarded with esteem, and the parade
                      resumed.

                      And yes, (take note especially Peter Catley) I DO still have that photo of
                      Capt. Glenn Robinson, 42nd Foot, pisswa-ing on a Belgian hedgerow!

                      93rd SHRoFLHU
                      THE Thin Red Line
                      www.93rdhighlanders.com

                    • Peter Catley
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 8, 2003
                        And yes, (take note especially Peter Catley) I DO still have that photo of
                        Capt. Glenn Robinson, 42nd Foot, pisswa-ing on a Belgian hedgerow!

                        How much?

                        P**

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        square miles...