The issue of Rum .........

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 5, 2003
      Speaking of libation, this post was sent me.
      I share same with all

      _________________________

      Chambly 23rd November 1812

      G.O.

      The issue of Rum to the Soldier is an act of grace, upon which
      he cannot found a right, therefore whenever it is judged proper it
      may be discontinued altogether or, only in part, at the discretion of
      the General Officer in Command, but the conversion of this Allowance
      under any pretext, to any other purpose than the Soldiers comfort
      must be strictly forbid -- and every Soldier who by intoxication
      renders himself unworthy of the indulgence will forfeit his Allowance
      for a limited period at the discretion of the Officer Commanding the
      Regiment.

      The Rum so forfeited, and the Allowance of the Sick is to be
      Credited to Government.

      This Order to be read at the head of Companies explained
      distinctly to the Men.

      (Signed) E. Baynes A.G.
      __________________

      A couple of Regiments present a very good example
      of 'Rum Allotment' at events. Possibly a presentation
      for other Units to choreograph.

      Larry Lozon
    • glifencible
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 5, 2003
        Colonel Edward Baynes was a Glen... what are you trying to say? :)
        *hic*

        Bill

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 5, 2003
          From: "glifencible" <glifencibles@...>

          Colonel Edward Baynes was a Glen... what are you trying to say? :)
          *hic*

          William,

          I be asking,

          Do you (the Glens) exemplify the 'Rum Allotment'
          or portray the "Consumption" of it ....;^)
        • Don Zorniak
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 5, 2003
            I could not help but smile when I discovered this thread.

            Back in 1999 I was doing some research into the Regiment de Meuron in
            the wild west (okay the west) when they were under the employ of the 5th
            Earl of Selkirk in the Red River Settlement.

            As re-enactors we try to be upstanding (and if we can't we find a tree
            to lean or tinkle on with the help a gracious lady to help us back to
            our tents...Larry and Ray I dare you to say it is not so) in our
            behaviour as a soldier of the King. The Rgt de M...a wild and perhaps
            woollyy bunch of mercenaries while in the employ of Selkirk should be a
            fine example for the rest of us to follow in order to perfect our
            persona. The following was taken from a primary source...The Selkirk
            Papers...and is presented to show the important role rum played in the
            life of a soldier:

            THE REGIMENT de MEURUM?

            The Selkirk Papers provide an interesting insight into the role alcohol
            played in the life of the common soldier.

            Matthey writes to Selkirk on June 5 of 1816, that all is well in their
            preparation to leave La Chine, he comments " All the stragglers, but one
            Christian Shink a desperate drunkard, who will join I dare say
            tomorrow." is being waited on.

            Matthey writes again from Isle Perrault on June 8 " Some of my men in
            the clouds of Drunkenness have left their Sacs, Packs, etc at La Chine-
            I beg Graffenried may be requested to look for them in the Stores or
            thereabouts and bring them with the Baggage of his detachment."

            While waiting out bad weather on the island Matthey continues "We have
            however not spent so much of the provisions as might be supposed - our
            men have bought up all the Geese, Turkeys, eggs and fowls of the Isle
            Perrault, they have exhausted the canteen of wine and rum, and thank
            God, the most desperate drinkers have exhausted their money." He
            continues referring to Graffenried's detachment " I hope his men are as
            merry as mine - its is 11 o'clock P.M. they are dancing and singing in
            high stile."

            From Holland Landing on June 29 Matthey again writes Selkirk "Several of
            the men pretend Your Lordship had promised them Rum as a daily ration -
            I have insisted to the contrary, allowing them however some every day a
            measure I found absolutely necessary to keep their spirits up after
            hard work. - Wheening them too suddenly of that sweet milk must have
            produced an unfavorable revolution - moral and spiritual."

            Matthey writes from Kemperfelt Bay on July 1 " In Watteville and Meurons
            ~ still musters 66 - who behave pretty well but not without exceptions.
            - Rum, with the exertions they make is indispensably necessary, and
            thoug(h) I spare it as much as possible, find we shall run short..We
            have about 14 Kegs of nine Gallons each left - the rum is given out at
            the rate of 1 gallon for 40 men a day."

            Primarily Source: The Selkirk Papers Vol VII p 2327, 2330 - 2332 , 2370
            - 2372, 2392-2394

            I think I will go have a rum!

            Don Zorniak
          • Ed Seufert
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 5, 2003
              Your Lordship,

              As you may well know (and experienced), the Royal Marines always have their issue of grog at every event.

              Ed Seufert
              1812 Royal Marines
[...]

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 6, 2003
                From: "Ed Seufert" <LCpl_RM@...>

                As you may well know (and experienced), the Royal Marines
                always have their issue of grog at every event.

                Yes indeed Sgt. Seufert, the libation you presented me was
                just what the Doctor ordered! but ....... one can always count
                on His Majesty's Marines! You do such a fine impression,
                Huzzah to you and yours!

                My Rum of choice has always been Pusser's Rum. Sad I am
                to find that it is no longer sold in Ontario. It came in three types
                corresponding to the ensigns flown by the British Navy, and it's
                label reflected this, red, blue and white.

                From Pusser's web site:

                Pusser's Rum is born out of a British Naval tradition of the 17th century
                when
                it was traditional for each Royal Navy sailor to receive a daily rum ration.
                This was done by the ship's purser (consequently corrupted to "pusser").
                It is a premium blend of six rums from Guyana, Trinidad and The British
                Virgin Islands. It is distilled in pot stills resulting in a high strength
                of 54.5% vol.
                Visit: http://www.cowen.co.uk/pussers.htm and
                http://www.pussers.com/Pussersrum.htm

                Also found this:

                "REDCOAT"

                3 doses of Light Rum
                1 dose of Apricot Brandy
                1 dose Vodka
                1 dose of Lime Juice
                a dash of Grenadine

                Shake all ingredients with ice
                Strain into a cocktail glass and serve.

                Cheers!

                L. Lozon
              • Robert White

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 7, 2003
                    From: "Robert White" <whiteesq@...>

                    Sgt. Seufert or Mr. Lozon:

                    Our stocks of Pusser's .... have long since run dry....
                    How might we replenish our stock of rum if you know?

                    My Dear Mr. White,

                    I indeed do know, how you might replenish your
                    stock of Pusser's Rum as there is a Liquor Store in
                    Marian Indiana, about 5 minutes from the Battle of
                    Mississinewa 1812 site, which I shall be attending,
                    thus, I don't know about you on board Constitution,
                    but those of us attending this 'SUPER' event will have
                    the added bonus of replenishing our supply of Pusser's
                    Rum in the BIG bottles!!

                    I am Sir, Yours & etc.,c.

                    L. Lozon ~ AdC, Crown Forces

                    Greenock Hall
                    Near the Mohawk Settlement
                    Grand River Upper Canada

                    ~
                  • HQ93rd@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 8, 2003
                      In a message dated 6/09/2003 6:57:08 AM, lalozon@... writes:

                      > Also found this:
                      >
                      > "REDCOAT"
                      >
                      > 3 doses of Light Rum
                      > 1 dose of Apricot Brandy
                      > 1 dose Vodka
                      > 1 dose of Lime Juice
                      > a dash of Grenadine

                      Hey! I just did that a minbute ago only sbecause it wasd all i had inb the
                      bar.
                      Tasted n prtetty gopof too, I might® add.

                      93rd SHRoFLHU
                      THE Thin Red Line
                      www.93rdhighlanders.com

                    • HQ93rd@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 8, 2003
                        In a message dated 5/09/2003 6:42:39 PM, zorniak@... writes:

                        > As re-enactors we try to be upstanding (and if we can't we find a tree
                        > to lean or tinkle on with the help a gracious lady to help us back to
                        > our tents...Larry and Ray I dare you to say it is not so) in our
                        > behaviour as a soldier of the King.

                        Oh my!
                        Now you have me started!
                        One of my fondest reenacting memories (and yes, this says a lot about me) was
                        Waterloo 1995. We were in the middle of the pre-battle "death march" through
                        the local villages. As we were following mindlesslessly down some street in
                        the countryside, a halt was ordered (from who and where miles up ahead, we had
                        no idea.)
                        The lads of the Highland Brigade being a vocal sort, passed word up of their
                        concern regarding the state of their bladders.
                        Me, being a fair minded sort, always attune to the stream of humanity, gave
                        in a loud voice whilst pointing to an adjacent hedgerow, the order for the
                        relevance thereof of any needing to do so.
                        The column emptied from the street.
                        Including the good Commander of the 42nd of Britain, My good friend Glenn
                        Robinson.
                        (Me? I -- or at least back then -- can hold it like a Texaco tanker, so I
                        remained at my post at the head of my column. Also a good place for photos...).
                        Whistles and catcalls erupted form the "sassenach" units around us...due
                        primarily to the fact that period trousers with all those buttons on the
                        drop-front, are not as urinversally adapted to hedgerows as a 'Free-Willy" kilt.
                        My soldiers were relieved, I was regarded with esteem, and the parade
                        resumed.

                        And yes, (take note especially Peter Catley) I DO still have that photo of
                        Capt. Glenn Robinson, 42nd Foot, pisswa-ing on a Belgian hedgerow!

                        93rd SHRoFLHU
                        THE Thin Red Line
                        www.93rdhighlanders.com

                      • Peter Catley
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 8, 2003
                          And yes, (take note especially Peter Catley) I DO still have that photo of
                          Capt. Glenn Robinson, 42nd Foot, pisswa-ing on a Belgian hedgerow!

                          How much?

                          P**

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          square miles...