Re: US/UK Crown Forces

  • Gord_1812
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 2, 2003
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Kevin & Allison Windsor
      <kevin.windsor@s...> wrote:

      > Gord_1812 wrote:
      >
      > > Don't be silly! I go on the field and also don't like drill. But
      > > do it. > >
      >
      > If some guy hasn't drilled in years I don't want him standing
      anywhere near me.
      Nor I that's why each and every unit commander has to make sure his
      guys are up on drill.

      > This is a tool that people get sloppy on. If you don't know how to
      use it or don't want to be shown how to use it. Get off the field
      before you hurt someone!

      Show me how to do the drill we need to be safe and I'll be there
      every time. Show me how to march on colors or how to stand at a
      church parade and I'll be off on a ice run. Unless there is a unsafe
      way to stand. :)

      > This injury happened when I was in line. (Yes I still do that)
      Someone who didn't know how to use his fire arm properly decided to
      fire a double when his barrel was 6"
      > to the side of my left ear. He wasn't from the 89th because the
      sergeant and I have tought them how to use their muskets. His number
      was much lower!

      Oh I was out of line (no pun intended) on that one.

      > I am not fond of farb nazi either. I like my chair, my tent, my
      cooler, but I think an umbrella group to get us all trained to the
      same standard, from the same book is a
      > great idea. You hear many groups say we only use such and such a
      drill manual or we are too good we don't need drill.

      No unit is too good for drill that will make them safer!

      > What the crown forces are attempting to do is say 10 guys from
      three units show up. Put them in one group and they can all get along
      and do the same thing because they
      > have all been trained from the same book, by the same people and
      know what each other will and will not do.

      Again good point Kevin. If it's saftey related.

      Gord
    • debsfuller
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 4, 2003
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Gord_1812" <gord_1812@y...> wrote:
        > Show me how to do the drill we need to be safe and I'll be there
        > every time. Show me how to march on colors or how to stand at a
        > church parade and I'll be off on a ice run. Unless there is a
        unsafe way to stand. :)

        Actually there is. Many a novice in marching band or the military has
        collapsed in the ranks from locking their knees while standing at
        attention.

        Someone might want to hold a safety class on this. And you know
        sooner or later, the NPS will write strict regulations on it and
        require anyone who stands at attention on their site to go through
        their certification course. You'll have to walk around for at least 7
        minutes between standing at attention and do several yoga positions
        just to make sure that you are completely limber before standing at
        attention again.

        ;)

        Deb
      • Gord_1812
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 4, 2003
          LOL I'm happy to see someone has a great sence of humor.

          > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Gord_1812" <gord_1812@y...>
          wrote:
          > > Show me how to do the drill we need to be safe and I'll be there
          > > every time. Show me how to march on colors or how to stand at a
          > > church parade and I'll be off on a ice run. Unless there is a
          > unsafe way to stand. :)
          >
          > Actually there is. Many a novice in marching band or the military
          has
          > collapsed in the ranks from locking their knees while standing at
          > attention.

          Yep learned it the hard way in Cadets.

          > Someone might want to hold a safety class on this. And you know
          > sooner or later, the NPS will write strict regulations on it and
          > require anyone who stands at attention on their site to go through
          > their certification course. You'll have to walk around for at least
          7
          > minutes between standing at attention and do several yoga positions
          > just to make sure that you are completely limber before standing at
          > attention again.

          Hey guys Deb is only joking!!! Out down the pens!

          Gord
        • HQ93rd@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 8, 2003
            In a message dated 30/08/2003 9:32:39 PM, kevin.windsor@... writes:

            > If some guy hasn't drilled in years I don't want him standing anywhere near
            > me.

            Ah, well then. Historic accuracy be damned. What ya think them 16 year old
            officers would a been a-doing? Dance class? (Well, yes, actually...)

            What ya think Sergeants are for?

            A Major, and damn proud of it!
            And...bow, 2, 3 ...and turn 2,3... and shift 2, 3... and take hands 2,3...
            93rd SHRoFLHU
            THE Thin Red Line
            www.93rdhighlanders.com