Fort George

    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 12, 1999
      Ladies & Gents:

      Well it is over and "wasn't it a party?"

      I have to thank David Webb and his staff
      at Fort George for a "GREAT" event.
      Despite Mother Nature's attempt to blow
      down the tents Friday night, the event was
      the best I have ever been to for the distribution
      of food. Yes great meals, and super helpings.

      Fort George is a great site as well and
      the battles were done very well. The seminars
      on Women's Fashions, Archaeology, and Brock
      were entertaining as well an educational.
      The evening pub had very good entertainment as
      well.

      You who didn't attend missed a good one.

      Thanks Dave!

      Larry Lozon
    • MAXINE TROTTIER
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 9, 2000
        Fort George does not seem to have a web site other than the Parks
        Canada site. Anyone? Anyone?
        Max

        Maxine Trottier
        maxitrot@...
        http://www.execulink.com/~maxitrot/maxine.htm
      • Tracy Forsyth
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 11, 2000
          Hi Maxine

          In all my web surfing I have never been able to find any other
          website for Fort George other then the Parks Canada site either.
          Tracy

          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 12, 2000
            I haven't found a site for Fort George either, Tracy.
            Max

            Maxine Trottier
            maxitrot@...
            http://www.execulink.com/~maxitrot/maxine.htm
          • westhouse03
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 20, 2003
              WOW !!!!

              That was fun. And to think I was going to take a hit and die. I
              woulda missed almost going ___ over tea kettle into the ravine,
              ditch, moat.

              Once again, that was really fun.

              Dave.
              Royals, 1st Foot.
            • J.Bruce Whittaker
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 22, 2003
                Greetings,
                I just wanted say what a great time we had at Fort George this past
                weekend. The hospitality of the staff and volunteers is greatly
                appreciated. The battle scenarios, the meals, the rapid deployment
                of the bucket brigade and the free show by the "ditch pigs" made for
                an exciting and entertaining weekend.
                Regards,
                J.Bruce Whittaker, Corporal
                Norfolk Militia Rifle Coy.
              • Ray Hobbs
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 22, 2003
                  List:
                  On behalf of the 41st Regt. I add my congratulations to the staff at
                  Fort George and the reenactors who attended for an excellent week-end.
                  With added detail the hobby gets better and better. Although my old
                  knees are far too stiff for Light Infantry drill, I look forward to
                  having the Regiment do it at my command (there are advantages to being
                  a sergeant!)

                  Some information for many on the list. Dave Webb, on the Staff at Fort
                  George was a founder member of the 41st Regiment of Foot Military
                  Living History Group. He is also a source of information and wisdom,
                  and has always been a strong supporter of the hobby of military
                  reenacting. With this in mind - and because we like the guy - the 41st
                  Regt. (MLHG) arranged to have him Commissioned Honorary Colonel of the
                  Regiment. Honorary because it is an honour for us - and we do not have
                  to pay him!!

                  Huzzah for Colonel Webb!

                  Ray Hobbs, Sgt
                  CO 41st Regiment of Foot
                  HQ Hamilton, Ontario

                  The Canadas 1799-1815

                  http://fortyfirst.tripod.com/
                • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 22, 2003
                    Hi Sgt. Hobbs,

                    And because you like him a lot, you can double his salary each year! ;^)

                    Just a thought.

                    Regards,

                    Bob Dorian
                    Independence, MO
                    USA
                  • Susan Spencer McLean
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 22, 2003
                      Yes, indeed, congratulations to Dave and crew on a fine event -- and
                      many thanks for relocating us sutlers to non-roasting territory -- are
                      definitely in order. Your "care and feeding" of all of us difficult
                      folks out on the Row is very, very much appreciated. A good time was
                      definitely had by all.

                      Good on ya!

                      -- Sioux
                      :-)
                    • Dave Hill
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 23, 2003
                        David,

                        Just like to say thanks for a great weekend to you and the
                        Staff and Friends of Fort George from the IMUC. The food, battles,
                        and fun were all great. Our only complaint would be that the
                        British Line didn't get a sideshow when we were in the Fort.

                        Dave Hill,
                        President,
                        Military Re-enactment Society of Canada.
                      • Bill Mertens
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 10, 2008
                          Good day all,

                          Could anyone tell me when the Fort George event will be this year and
                          if it will be a 1812, Rev.,or another Time line?

                          Thanks, Rhonda & Bill Mertens
                        • david webb

                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 23, 2009
                              I found this too, after the Niagara Falls Review article. Very nice. They did a very nice job.

                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afBwoG_iULw
                            • Craig Williams
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 23, 2009
                                I think I have an original period print of either this or another in
                                the fortifications around Manhatten.
                                I'll dig it out later and post it.

                                Craig Williams

                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 20, 2010
                                  Hi there, I know it's more than a month later but... I found the
                                  images I mentioned ... finally, and I have posted them to the album
                                  "Historic Images" in the photo section. These are prints based on
                                  1814 drawings of fortifications in "Harlem Hights".

                                  Craig
                                  On 24-Dec-09, at 1:26 AM, Craig Williams wrote:

                                  > I think I have an original period print of either this or another in
                                  > the fortifications around Manhatten.
                                  > I'll dig it out later and post it.
                                  >
                                  > Craig Williams
                                • shayna121
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jun 25, 2012
                                    To All Crown Forces Members,

                                    I have been asked to foward the following message.

                                    Your Servant,

                                    Chris McKay
                                    Aide de Camp to Mr. Twist

                                    To Crown Forces

                                    The event at Fort George the weekend of July 14 and 15, will see us splitting the British army on Saturday afternoon for a period war game. I will be commanding the force attacking from the water and Colonel Williams will be commanding the land based defending force. The water born regiments will consist of the 10th Royal Veteran Battalion, 41st, 49th and Royal Newfoundland Regiments. Please be aware that no troops will be taken on to the tall ships and not all of our "marine" units will likely fit on the long boats. Those we can't place in boats will be hidden on the shore as previously landed troops. All the rest of Crown Forces ( and US willing to field as Upper Canada militia) will be land based in the scenario. The dress for the "marine" units will consist of red coat, white trousers and stovepipe shako. The battle scenario will take place in the park in NOTL and be similar to the one at the Grand Tactical at Fort George several years ago. This is a bloodless war game, ie. no casualties. On Saturday evening, there will be a US vs. British battle inside the Fort similar to what we did last year. On Sunday afternoon we will have a US vs. British battle on the ground outside the Fort. This should be a great weekend and I look forward to seeing you all.

                                    Peter Twist
                                  • shayna121
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                                      To All Crown Forces Unit Commanders,

                                      I have been asked to foward the following message.

                                      Your Servant,

                                      Chris McKay
                                      Aide de Camp to Mr. Twist

                                      To Crown Forces,

                                      It is important to register your participation at the Fort George event on the 14 and 15 July. The site will be providing meals and they need to know numbers. Please email Peter Martin to register at Peter.Martin(at)pc.gc.ca . I look forward to seeing everyone at Fort George.

                                      Peter Twist
                                    • Rob Irvine
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                                        Do ships crews from Toronto crossing register their numbers as well ????????

                                        bob I
                                        I have been asked to foward the following message.

                                        Your Servant,

                                        Chris McKay
                                        Aide de Camp to Mr. Twist

                                        To Crown Forces,

                                        It is important to register your participation at the Fort George event on the 14 and 15 July. The site will be providing meals and they need to know numbers. Please email Peter Martin to register at Peter.Martin(at)pc.gc.ca . I look forward to seeing everyone at Fort George.

                                        Peter Twist

                                        No virus found in this message.

                                      • shayna121
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012
                                          Bob,

                                          I understand that the majority of the Naval Units have registered with Captain Gill Bibby. If you have registered with him, he will pass along your unit's information to Peter Martin.

                                          If any unit has not registered with either of these two men, they need to do so.

                                          I hope that clarifies the issue.

                                          Chris McKay

                                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Irvine" <rirvine4@...> wrote:

                                          > Do ships crews from Toronto crossing register their numbers as well ????????
                                          >
                                          > bob I

                                        • roy winders
                                          Message 20 of 20 , May 26, 2013
                                            On behalf of The British Indian Dept. I'd like to give a big thank you to Peter Martin and the staff and volunteers of Fort George, the Crown forces,
                                            our American opposition and all our friends who make this so much fun.
                                            A special thanks to our favourite neighbours The IMUC.
                                            I'd like to congratulate our very own " 2 moons" Aaron Brink on winning Best Death!

                                            Roy Winders.