deep pockets

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4, 2003
      From: "Gord_1812" <gord_1812@y...>

      " .... some don't have deep pockets.
      ( we do what we can to be correct) ...
      I once had a polyester red coat but
      quickly set aside funds for a wool one "

      ------------

      Possibly if one purchased the wool coat
      in the beginning two coats would have not
      been necessary. Thus funds would have not had
      to be set aside.

      Reason should have been that it was because
      they didn't have polyester in 1812 and not that
      the coat would stick to skin if burned.

      Yours,
      L. Lozon

      " I'd rather be Historically Accurate
      than Politically Correct "

      ========================
    • Gord_1812
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 5, 2003
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@n...> wrote:

        Hey Larry what are you a sun reporter?
        My original post said.
        > " .... some don't have deep pockets.
        > ( we do what we can to be correct) ...
        > I once had a polyester red coat but (you left this out)
        I was told that polyester would melt to skin if a ammo box should go
        up in flames. I never said i bought the polyester one. It was a
        loner because i didn't have funds to buy a wool coat when I joined.)
        > quickly set aside funds for a wool one "
        >
        > ------------
        >
        > Possibly if one purchased the wool coat
        > in the beginning two coats would have not
        > been necessary. Thus funds would have not had
        > to be set aside.
        >
        > Reason should have been that it was because
        > they didn't have polyester in 1812 and not that
        > the coat would stick to skin if burned.

        "I'd rather enjoy my hobby and do my best to be historicaly accurate
        than be broke!" :)

        Gord

        > Yours,
        > L. Lozon
        >
        > " I'd rather be Historically Accurate
        > than Politically Correct "
        >
        > ========================
      • celer_et_audax_7_60th
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 6, 2003
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Gord_1812" <gord_1812@y...> wrote:
          > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@n...>
          wrote:

          > Hey Larry what are you a sun reporter?
          > My original post said.
          > > " .... some don't have deep pockets.
          > > ( we do what we can to be correct) ...
          > > I once had a polyester red coat but (you left this out)
          > I was told that polyester would melt to skin if a ammo box should
          go
          > up in flames. I never said i bought the polyester one. It was a
          > loner because i didn't have funds to buy a wool coat when I
          joined.)
          > > quickly set aside funds for a wool one "
          > >
          > > ------------
          > >
          > > Possibly if one purchased the wool coat
          > > in the beginning two coats would have not
          > > been necessary. Thus funds would have not had
          > > to be set aside.
          > >
          > > Reason should have been that it was because
          > > they didn't have polyester in 1812 and not that
          > > the coat would stick to skin if burned.
          >
          > "I'd rather enjoy my hobby and do my best to be historicaly
          accurate
          > than be broke!" :)
          >
          > Gord
          >

          > > Yours,
          > > L. Lozon
          > >
          > > " I'd rather be Historically Accurate
          > > than Politically Correct "
          > >
          > > ========================

          If one can't afford to do someting, one will eventually go broke.
          That's why I always tell everybody up front what it's going to cost,
          in the form of a list with items and prices. We help them out a bit,
          for a while, but by the time a year has gone by, everybody must be
          fully kitted out. And they know that, before they come in. If they
          are grownups, then they can decide for themselves and budget
          accordingly, or go find something else to do with their time and
          money, where they will be happier.

          Polyester?????

          RWF
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 6, 2003
            From: "Gord_1812" <gord_1812@...>

            Hey Larry what are you a sun reporter?
            My original post said.
            " .... some don't have deep pockets."
            "I'd rather enjoy my hobby and do my best to
            be historicaly accurate than be broke!" :)
            ================

            Gord,

            I don't know what a "sun reporter" is,
            but I don't think I am one. I am however a
            reporter for Smoke and Fire News, the
            re-enactor's monthly newspaper.

            Also, regarding your statement re: enjoying the hobby.....

            One is not allowed to use a broom to play golf
            because one cannot afford golf clubs ......

            One does not use a 2x4 piece of lumber when
            boating because one cannot afford a paddle .......

            One does not use a branch from a tree when
            playing hockey because hockey sticks are too expensive .....

            thus:

            You state you bought two coats, one wrong and one wool,
            I said if you would have researched it you would have only
            had to buy one coat ....... a savings! You would have been
            able to enjoy the hobby, be historically accurate and not be broke!

            One should check out a hobby before jumping into it.
            As one should check out any hobby.

            It costs about $2500 for an 1812 soldier to outfit himself
            and obtain a wedge tent. If one can't afford it, why should
            one drag the rest of the hobby down by wearing polyester,
            chrome tanned leather belts, army/work boots, etc. especially
            when others make or buy hand sewn woollen pants, fitted woollen
            gaiters,.... well I think those who want to, get the picture.

            I rest my case,
            and shall not address this particular post again.

            Larry

            Wow, listen to the cheering out there ..........

            Gord, maybe we should talk at Fort Erie about being historically
            correct in a hobby that is based around creating the past.

            ========================
          • JGIL1812@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 6, 2003
              lalozon@... writes:

              > I don't know what a "sun reporter" is,
              > but I don't think I am one.

              Larry,

              I can vouch for that. Any good reporter would know what a "Sunshine Girl" is!

              JG/RE

            • Brian Felmlee
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 6, 2003
                Larry,

                If you would read more carefully you would have
                found this in Gord's previous post...." I never said i
                bought the polyester one. It was a loner because i
                didn't have funds to buy a wool coat when I joined."
                So therefore there would be no "savings". I'm sure
                Larry when you first started doing this you borrowed
                SOMETHING from someone that might not have been
                historically accurate just to come out.

                Brian Felmlee
                Cpl. 19th US Infty.

                http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com