COLOUR PARTY

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2003
      1812'ers

      At events in the Great Lakes Area the Crown Forces usually uses the
      Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada's Colour Party and Colours.

      It has been suggested that another Colour Party be raised, and for ease of
      identification, the convenient name given "CROWN FORCES COLOUR PARTY".

      Reason:

      ~ As the Crown Forces are usually broken into two wings on the battle field
      each wing would have a set of colours.

      ~ There are Crown Forces units who have colours that are never carried at
      events. If a non-unit Colour Party was in existence it could carry colours
      of other units and could carry site's colours as the set at Fort George.

      ~ If the IMUC Colour Party is not in attendance there would still be a
      Colour Party to take the field.

      ~ Some units are too small to raise a Colour Party as they are busy
      recruiting musketmen for their units.

      To this end,

      Richard Feltoe has been kind enough to take this matter under advisement and
      in principle has agreed to raise the "CROWN FORCES COLOUR PARTY".

      The "CROWN FORCES COLOUR PARTY" will act as a separate unit and will recruit
      Colour Ensigns and other historical correct members of an 1812 Colour Party.

      For more recruiting information or to have your unit's colours carried at an
      even contact Richard at feltoe@...
      Richard's intent is to also create a set of colours to carry if there are no
      requests available and to have all in this unit in correct historical kit.

      In an effort to recreate the British/Canadian/Allied Army "Crown Forces" of
      the War for 1812 in North America correctly, and in an effort to communicate
      to all who portray Crown Forces.

      yrs, etc.,

      Larry Lozon
    • Sgt. Wattie
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2003
        My understanding is that it's the battalion colour party already. It
        just happens that the colours are almost always IMUC's, as are the
        somewhat superannuated (but always smartly turned out) ensigns
        carrying them.
        The colour sgt and guard at Ft. George for eg were from that "other
        IMUC" (hullo Richard!) and there's no reason why the colour party
        couldn't carry regimental or king's colours from any other unit.
        They've just volunteered them, to my knowledge.
        Bring 'em on, I say: less wear, tear and fading on IMUC's colours! ;-)

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 2003
          From: "Sgt. Wattie" <cwattie@...>

          My understanding is that it's the battalion colour party already.
          It just happens that the colours are almost always IMUC's...

          LL: We have been informed that the Colour Party now used by
          Crown Forces are part of Military Re-Enactment Society of Canada,
          Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada.

          --------------
          The colour sgt and guard at Ft. George for eg were from that "other IMUC"
          (hullo Richard!)

          LL: Yes, others, not only Richard were added and used to fill out the Colour
          Party as it should historically be.
          --------------

          and there's no reason why the colour party couldn't carry regimental or
          king's colours from any other unit.

          LL: That would have to be a decision of the Military Re-Enactment Society of
          Canada, Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada and if they were not in
          attendance there would be no colours.

          The colour party described in my original would not be attached to any
          existing unit and would therefore work as an indipendant unit.

          L.
        • Terry Lubka
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 4, 2003
            Gee Larry with an extra colour party on the field that the "trooping of the
            colours" before a battle will be twice as long.....??? ;-)

            Now I run for cover......

            Terry
            25 US
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 5, 2003
              From: "Terry Lubka" <tlubka@...>

              "... an extra colour party on the field that the
              "trooping of the colours" before a battle will be twice as long..."

              Enjoy the ceremony ..... :^)