Re: flash guards

  • Mike Varty
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2003
      p.s this is the same crowd that likes to charge people from between
      buildings with a loaded musket. I was told by a person at that event with
      lots of experience. that they where charged at with a fully loaded musket
      and if he hadn't deflected it with his musket to make it above his head it
      would have gone of in his face! suggestion lose the flash guards and teach
      more safety. as we do in the 1812 units!

      Message: 24
      Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 09:42:43 EDT
      From: BritcomHMP@...
      Subject: Re: Re: flashguards

      In a message dated 8/1/2003 11:31:36 PM Central Daylight Time,
      gord_1812@... writes:

      > Yes Rev war events seem to really push the flash guard and hammer
      > stalls.

      Yes of course they do, they invented them to try to make using a musket safe
      for people who were either scared of the weapon or to lazy to get it right.

      But like some have said. "That's what they did." There are

      > some reports of the military trying out flash guards but it didn't
      > catch on. in The 1800's so why does the rev war crowd put them?
      > And is there actually documentation on hammer stalls?

      No, it is not what they did. There are limited reports of such devices being
      used on unserviceable weapon that could not be replaced. Flashguards on ones
      where the touch hole had become over enlarged and hammerstalls where the
      half
      cock was not operating properly.

      There were some experiments with the 'self priming' lock that the Prussians
      had developed but of course the flashguard was cast integral with the lock.
      As
      you rightly say they were never introduced into service.

      They are only in use today because the Rev War people introduced them for
      their bicentennial!

    • celer_et_audax_7_60th
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2003
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Varty" <mvarty@s...> wrote:
        > p.s this is the same crowd that likes to charge people from between
        > buildings with a loaded musket. I was told by a person at that
        event with
        > lots of experience. that they where charged at with a fully loaded
        musket
        > and if he hadn't deflected it with his musket to make it above his
        head it
        > would have gone of in his face! suggestion lose the flash guards
        and teach
        > more safety. as we do in the 1812 units!

        Mike, I presume, since you were referring to Tim's post about RevWar
        reenactors' use of flashguards, you are speaking of a RevWar event.
        When was this, where was this exactly, and what units and umbrella
        organisations were involved?

        RWF
      • Armchairadm@cs.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2003
          Do we realy need to go over flash gaurds & frizzzen covers again? No they
          are not historical. No, on the whole, they accomplish much. So what. Most
          sites require them so just live with it.

          Ed B.

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 4, 2003
            From: "Gord_1812" <gord_1812@...>

            " ...Yes Rev war events seem to really push the flash guard and hammer
            stalls.
            so why does the rev war crowd put them? "

            LL: because,

            as Ed Bolla writes: "Most sites require ........ them so just live
            with it"

            ----------------

            From: "Gord_1812"

            "And is there actually documentation on hammer stalls? "

            LL: Gord,
            there is no documentation for polyester,
            but units wear clothing at events made from it ...

            ..... fore!
          • Gord_1812
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 4, 2003
              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@n...> wrote:

              > From: "Gord_1812" <gord_1812@y...>
              >
              > " ...Yes Rev war events seem to really push the flash guard and
              hammer
              > stalls.
              > so why does the rev war crowd put them? "
              >

              > LL: because,
              >
              > as Ed Bolla writes: "Most sites require ........ them so
              just live
              > with it"
              But that isn't the way they did it.

              Gord

              > ----------------
              >
              > From: "Gord_1812"
              >
              > "And is there actually documentation on hammer
              stalls? "

              > LL: Gord,
              > there is no documentation for polyester,
              > but units wear clothing at events made from
              it ...
              Yes some don't have deep pockets.( we do what we can to be correct)
              I once had a polyester red coat but quickly set aside funds for a
              wool one when it was pointed out that polyester coat would stick to
              skin if cartrage box should go up in flames. Wool offers a lot of
              protection from just such a fire.
              Gord
            • John
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 4, 2003
                Flash guards and frizzen covers (hammer stalls) are required by
                most/all F&I events. The frizzen cover is well-documented as a
                standard French musket accessory. Not sure about the Brits for that
                time period.

                "Have Charleville, Will Travel"

                John, 2d Michigan Militia Co'y