Re: Drill

  • usmarine1814
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2003
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Drums" <drums1812@s...> wrote:
      > The Corps of Drums also practices regularly.

      Us at USS COnstitution usually drill 2 times a month in the spr. sum.
      and fall when not busy on the ship and we are working on doing a
      couple of "discussion" (indoor) drills in the wintah. The only
      problemm is that through all our research, which I would say is
      extremely extensive, we have found no specified drill. ie. Duane,
      Smythe, Von Steuben ect. We have found a list of manouvers and the
      manual of arms the Marines were suposed to know but thats it. We
      know that when ever a ship was in port the Marines not on duty on
      board were to land and drill with the Marines in the Navy Yards. Yet
      our lack of manual has lead us to look awkward when manouvering with
      well drilled US units (sorry about that, we hope to get better. But
      let me see you guys climb ratlins or repel ignorant idiots from off
      of the 32lb carronades without them spiting on you). This all
      probobly stems from the fact that the Marines were suposed to be a
      ship board/Navy Yard guard and had no need to know the manuals for
      regiments and Battalions so we are probably historically accurate. I
      guess that if the Marines didn't have to go out every so often to
      offer some real resistance to the enemy, they never would have needed
      to know. J/K Soldiers and... ok... Militia too

      Fortitudine

      Colin Murphy
      Marines, USS Constitution