Re: [WarOf1812] Color Clarification

  • Steve Abolt
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 2, 2003
      Dear List,

      To clarify some of this Color question:

      Whenever the 7th INF is present at events we "uncase
      and case" our Colors with all due solemnity. It is
      part of every event we do where our Colors are
      present.
      As has already been eloquently stated Colors are more
      than painted and sewn pieces of cloth. They are
      visible symbols of a regiment's honor. They are
      symbols of its past, and present---a legacy to pass to
      the future. As many of you know we do not treat them
      or anyones Color or Color ceremony lightly or with
      triviality.

      We generally do this ceremony amongst ourselves as
      these Colors represent our unit not, for example The
      Marine Guard off Constitution...which is why Robert
      you didn't see it at McHenry last year. I don't feel
      it is my right to make you stand through our
      Regimental Color Ceremony. You will remember that all
      units were present for Morning Troop and Evening
      Retreat when the Garrison Flag is used as this Flag is
      the symbol for all those portraying Americans at the
      event. So yes, you actually were there and did see and
      participate in it. This same Flag Raising for all
      American units present is done at Mississinewa, Ft.
      Jackson and New Orleans.

      When we Troop our Regimental Colors every year at New
      Orleans we invite all participating units, American
      and British to attend. Likewise when the 93rd has its
      ceremony we also attend. These ceremonies are more
      than just wastes of times. They are outward symbols
      of mutual respect, elan and esprit d' corps.

      When I command at New Orleans I also have the
      artillery hold a round back to fire as the British
      Flag is raised or lowered---again a symbol of mutual
      respect. And as there is no British Artillery units
      present it is the courteous thing to do.

      As to US units not having National Colors that is
      incorrect. The National Color of US Regiments in the
      War of 1812 is not the Stars and Stripes. Instead it
      is a blue silk Color with the arms of the US
      embroidered or painted on them along with the name of
      the Regiment and stars spread above the eagles head in
      correspondence with the number of states in the union.

      By the 1840's American Infantry regiments are issued
      the Stars and Stripes as their National Standard.
      Their old National Standard is modified to become the
      Regimental Color and the old Regimental or Battalion
      Color phased out.

      Whenever we brigade with our sister units of the 1st,
      6th, 25th, and Rifle Regiment and their Colors are
      present they are also accorded the same ceremony when
      casing and uncasing. A proud moment for me is knowing
      that Dave Bennett's command of the 1st USI has now
      obtained their Regimental Color and will have them
      along with us at Mississinea in October. They are
      currently raising funds to purchase their National
      Standard.

      In 2001 we brought our colors to Canada, most
      specifically Ft. Erie where the "casing and uncasing"
      was carried out. So Kevin, American Regimental colors
      have been there. We had such a marvelous time at Ft.
      Erie we have wanted to return. Unfortunately we will
      miss out again this year due to scheduling and
      budgetary constraints. But we will get back there and
      so will the Colors.

      Even on the movie shoot we just finished for the
      History Channel at Meigs when the Colors were required
      for a shot they were still produced, uncased and cased
      with due solemnity. When we were off at one end of
      the fort waiting for the next shot and British Colors
      marched by the unified command---1st, 6th 7th, 25th
      were called to attention and honors paid. We feel it
      is the right, proper and honorable thing to do.

      Sure will miss being at Ft. Erie! Looking forward to
      seeing some of you at Ft. McHenry and at Mississinewa!

      Now how many of you are coming to New Orleans??????

      Warmest regards,
      S.

      --- Robert White <whiteesq@...> wrote:
      > For what its worth, it is my understanding that most
      > US units did not even have colors during the war of
      > 1812 and seldom was the national colours used as a
      > battle standard. For instance the U.S. Marine Corps
      > did not have colours at all and did not until later
      > in
      > the century. I do know that at Fort McHenry which
      > was
      > under the command of Steve Abolt that we did not
      > march
      > the colors. R.R. White, 1812 Marine USS
      > Constitution

      > --- Kevin Windsor <kevin.windsor@...>
      > wrote:
      > > Never happens up here in Canuckistan Benton. I
      > > don't know if I recall the US ever having Colours
      > up
      > > hear. Would look great though!
      > >
      > > Fort Meigs 2004!
      > >

      > > HQ93rd@... wrote:
      > >
      > > > I don't know who has been going over and
      > watching,
      > > but from what I have
      > > > always seen --- The "Yank" units -- at least
      > when
      > > S. Abolt is in command -- do "the colour thing"
      > all
      > > the time.

      > design software
      > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com