Murray's Raid

  • badger222ca
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2003
      List:
      Here's an interesting little tidbit for your amusement.
      Does anybody know anything about this action?
      Should someone be organizing a re-enactment? Vermont is a lovely spot.
      T.Avery

      ^BC-Murray's-Raid-Shell@<
      code:6<
      ^Espy Que.@<
      ^Mtl Note@<
      ^INDEX: International, Defence, Technology, Environment, Social@<
      ^HL:U.S. historian credits finding War of 1812 shell for interest in
      Lake Champlain@ <
      BURLINGTON, Vt. (AP) _ An underwater military artifact that
      was probably fired as part of a War of 1812 attack on Burlington
      helped lead one of Lake Champlain's most prominent historians into
      his study of the lake.<
      In 1977 or 1978, diving instructor Art Cohn was leading a
      class of Middlebury College students out into the lake in Burlington,
      not far from where the U.S. coast guard station is today, when he
      noticed an object _ about the size and shape of a bowling ball _ in
      the sand.<
      He and his students wrestled it to shore and Cohn said he
      realized what it was. But he didn't know why it was there.<
      It didn't take long for historians to point him to Murray's
      Raid, an 1813 attack on Burlington by the British.<
      "It was almost destiny, really," Cohn said.<
      He's still not sure the shell was fired during Murray's Raid.
      But most likely it was a British shell from about 2.5 kilometres
      offshore that didn't reach land. Or possibly it's a U.S. shell that
      fell short after being fired from what is now Battery Park.<
      Holding the shell underwater, Cohn drilled out a wooden plug
      and found gunpowder inside. He said he didn't test the powder to see
      if it was still explosive.<
      At the time he didn't know it was illegal to remove
      historical artifacts from the lake. It didn't take long for him to
      find out.<
      Within a few days, he had a call from the Vermont Division of
      Historic Preservation.<
      "It was through those discussions that we realized we were
      entering a new world of underwater resource management," Cohn said.<
      A year later, the division hired him to do archeological work
      on the lake. He's still an employee of the division, responsible for
      managing the archeological resources hidden under the water of the
      lake.<
      And there are plenty.<
      Cohn has helped find debris in front of Plattsburgh, N.Y.,
      from the War of 1812 Battle of Plattsburgh; he has found an intact
      shipwreck from the Revolutionary War Battle of Valcour Island and
      he's discovered numerous commercial vessels resting on the bottom of
      the lake.<
      And it all stems from the shell that probably came from
      Murray's Raid. The shell now sits on his desk at the Lake Champlain
      Maritime Museum in Ferrisburgh.<
    • director
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 6, 2003
        On July 31, 1813, British Lt.Col. John Murray, commandant at St. Jean,
        Que., sailed a smalll flotilla with about 1,000 men south into the American
        waters of Lake Champlain. They burned and destroyed an arsenal, blockhouse
        and storehouses in Plattsburgh, as well as Pike's Cantonment, which had been
        deserted. There also was looting of private homes, including those of Henry
        Delord and Peter Sailly. Then they were off to Burlington and Charlotte,
        Vt. - Essex, NY - and back to Champlain, NY on August 3. All in all, they
        captured and/or destroyed eight vessels, burned two more blockhouses, a
        barracks and warehouse in Champlain, and more of the same in Chazy Landing,
        NY, and Swanton, VT; took with them considerable food supplies, and captured
        an invalid company of Clinton County militia.

        (source: History of the War of 1812 in the Champlain Valley, by Allan S.
        Everest)

        Don Craig
        The Kent-Delord House Museum

        > Here's an interesting little tidbit for your amusement.
        > Does anybody know anything about this action?
        > Should someone be organizing a re-enactment? Vermont is a lovely spot.
        > T.Avery
        >
        > ^BC-Murray's-Raid-Shell@<
        > code:6<
        > ^Espy Que.@<
        > ^Mtl Note@<
        > ^INDEX: International, Defence, Technology, Environment, Social@<
        > ^HL:U.S. historian credits finding War of 1812 shell for interest in
        > Lake Champlain@ <
        > BURLINGTON, Vt. (AP) _ An underwater military artifact that
        > was probably fired as part of a War of 1812 attack on Burlington
        > helped lead one of Lake Champlain's most prominent historians into
        > his study of the lake.<
        > In 1977 or 1978, diving instructor Art Cohn was leading a
        > class of Middlebury College students out into the lake in Burlington,
        > not far from where the U.S. coast guard station is today, when he
        > noticed an object _ about the size and shape of a bowling ball _ in
        > the sand.<
        > He and his students wrestled it to shore and Cohn said he
        > realized what it was. But he didn't know why it was there.<
        > It didn't take long for historians to point him to Murray's
        > Raid, an 1813 attack on Burlington by the British.<
        > "It was almost destiny, really," Cohn said.<
        > He's still not sure the shell was fired during Murray's Raid.
        > But most likely it was a British shell from about 2.5 kilometres
        > offshore that didn't reach land. Or possibly it's a U.S. shell that
        > fell short after being fired from what is now Battery Park.<
        > Holding the shell underwater, Cohn drilled out a wooden plug
        > and found gunpowder inside. He said he didn't test the powder to see
        > if it was still explosive.<
        > At the time he didn't know it was illegal to remove
        > historical artifacts from the lake. It didn't take long for him to
        > find out.<
        > Within a few days, he had a call from the Vermont Division of
        > Historic Preservation.<
        > "It was through those discussions that we realized we were
        > entering a new world of underwater resource management," Cohn said.<
        > A year later, the division hired him to do archeological work
        > on the lake. He's still an employee of the division, responsible for
        > managing the archeological resources hidden under the water of the
        > lake.<
        > And there are plenty.<
        > Cohn has helped find debris in front of Plattsburgh, N.Y.,
        > from the War of 1812 Battle of Plattsburgh; he has found an intact
        > shipwreck from the Revolutionary War Battle of Valcour Island and
        > he's discovered numerous commercial vessels resting on the bottom of
        > the lake.<
        > And it all stems from the shell that probably came from
        > Murray's Raid. The shell now sits on his desk at the Lake Champlain
        > Maritime Museum in Ferrisburgh.<

        square miles...