Re: General WIlliam Henry Harrison in Michigan

  • K. J. Lindsey
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2003
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <dogface1441@y...> wrote:
      > Kevin:
      > Thanks. The info corrresponds with my research....but there have
      been
      > references to a War of 1812 winter camp near Saline for decades ---

      > some grape shot, and other items, were found in 1895 (according to
      an
      > article in the local paper that year).
      > I have permission from the landowner to do some excavation/metal
      > detecting tomorrow ---if anything at all turns up we'll just mark
      it
      > (not remove it) and call in the professionals.
      > I can keep you updated, if you wish.
      > Steve

      Steve,
      I will scrounge around some more to see if I can find anything
      else, but please do keep us updated!

      Kevin
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2003
        Yesterday five us (with permission) took our metal detectors to a
        private property near Saline to hunt for artifacts from a (rumored)
        War of 1812 winter encampment of William Henry Harrison's soldiers.

        One of our group was an experienced artifact hunter -- and had we
        found anything it would have been marked and calls for professionals
        to come in would have been made.

        We spent nearly three hours digging spots where the detectors said
        there was metal (until an afternoon rain chased us away). We had our
        detectors set on "all metal" so we uncovered quite a bit of scrap
        metal --- all from this century. We found nothing from the early
        1800s. Actually, the most valuable item we found was a 1974 penny.

        I suspect we were about a hundred feet off ---- but that area has
        heavy ground cover and is difficult to get into. We'll try again
        this fall when some of the leaves are gone.

        I'll keep you updated.

        Steve

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "K. J. Lindsey" <union47th@y...>