Fort Erie Night battle

  • Rob Taylor
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 2, 2003
      Hello List: Does the night battle Saturday night start
      at 8:00 p.m.?

      Thanks
      Rob Taylor

      =====
      War of 1812 Website: war1812.tripod.com

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • Rob Taylor

        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 2, 2003
          Dear List,

          To clarify some of this Color question:

          Whenever the 7th INF is present at events we "uncase
          and case" our Colors with all due solemnity. It is
          part of every event we do where our Colors are
          present.
          As has already been eloquently stated Colors are more
          than painted and sewn pieces of cloth. They are
          visible symbols of a regiment's honor. They are
          symbols of its past, and present---a legacy to pass to
          the future. As many of you know we do not treat them
          or anyones Color or Color ceremony lightly or with
          triviality.

          We generally do this ceremony amongst ourselves as
          these Colors represent our unit not, for example The
          Marine Guard off Constitution...which is why Robert
          you didn't see it at McHenry last year. I don't feel
          it is my right to make you stand through our
          Regimental Color Ceremony. You will remember that all
          units were present for Morning Troop and Evening
          Retreat when the Garrison Flag is used as this Flag is
          the symbol for all those portraying Americans at the
          event. So yes, you actually were there and did see and
          participate in it. This same Flag Raising for all
          American units present is done at Mississinewa, Ft.
          Jackson and New Orleans.

          When we Troop our Regimental Colors every year at New
          Orleans we invite all participating units, American
          and British to attend. Likewise when the 93rd has its
          ceremony we also attend. These ceremonies are more
          than just wastes of times. They are outward symbols
          of mutual respect, elan and esprit d' corps.

          When I command at New Orleans I also have the
          artillery hold a round back to fire as the British
          Flag is raised or lowered---again a symbol of mutual
          respect. And as there is no British Artillery units
          present it is the courteous thing to do.

          As to US units not having National Colors that is
          incorrect. The National Color of US Regiments in the
          War of 1812 is not the Stars and Stripes. Instead it
          is a blue silk Color with the arms of the US
          embroidered or painted on them along with the name of
          the Regiment and stars spread above the eagles head in
          correspondence with the number of states in the union.

          By the 1840's American Infantry regiments are issued
          the Stars and Stripes as their National Standard.
          Their old National Standard is modified to become the
          Regimental Color and the old Regimental or Battalion
          Color phased out.

          Whenever we brigade with our sister units of the 1st,
          6th, 25th, and Rifle Regiment and their Colors are
          present they are also accorded the same ceremony when
          casing and uncasing. A proud moment for me is knowing
          that Dave Bennett's command of the 1st USI has now
          obtained their Regimental Color and will have them
          along with us at Mississinea in October. They are
          currently raising funds to purchase their National
          Standard.

          In 2001 we brought our colors to Canada, most
          specifically Ft. Erie where the "casing and uncasing"
          was carried out. So Kevin, American Regimental colors
          have been there. We had such a marvelous time at Ft.
          Erie we have wanted to return. Unfortunately we will
          miss out again this year due to scheduling and
          budgetary constraints. But we will get back there and
          so will the Colors.

          Even on the movie shoot we just finished for the
          History Channel at Meigs when the Colors were required
          for a shot they were still produced, uncased and cased
          with due solemnity. When we were off at one end of
          the fort waiting for the next shot and British Colors
          marched by the unified command---1st, 6th 7th, 25th
          were called to attention and honors paid. We feel it
          is the right, proper and honorable thing to do.

          Sure will miss being at Ft. Erie! Looking forward to
          seeing some of you at Ft. McHenry and at Mississinewa!

          Now how many of you are coming to New Orleans??????

          Warmest regards,
          S.

          --- Robert White <whiteesq@...> wrote:
          > For what its worth, it is my understanding that most
          > US units did not even have colors during the war of
          > 1812 and seldom was the national colours used as a
          > battle standard. For instance the U.S. Marine Corps
          > did not have colours at all and did not until later
          > in
          > the century. I do know that at Fort McHenry which
          > was
          > under the command of Steve Abolt that we did not
          > march
          > the colors. R.R. White, 1812 Marine USS
          > Constitution

          > --- Kevin Windsor <kevin.windsor@...>
          > wrote:
          > > Never happens up here in Canuckistan Benton. I
          > > don't know if I recall the US ever having Colours
          > up
          > > hear. Would look great though!
          > >
          > > Fort Meigs 2004!
          > >

          > > HQ93rd@... wrote:
          > >
          > > > I don't know who has been going over and
          > watching,
          > > but from what I have
          > > > always seen --- The "Yank" units -- at least
          > when
          > > S. Abolt is in command -- do "the colour thing"
          > all
          > > the time.

          > design software
          > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com