Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Brit line NOW Crown Forces of UC/NA

  • Robert White
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 2, 2003
      As a point of interest on colours, many in our outfit
      believe we should have some type of colours to
      identify our unit when we march in parades, etc. Our
      historian says absolutely not because it would not be
      correct. I think we should have them for safety's
      sake in some cases for instance when we marched in the
      South Boston St. Patrick's Day parade with our music
      in front in his red coat with blue trim, despite the
      rest of the Marines being in the reverse colors of bue
      with red we were thought to be British. Not an
      entirely healty perception to prevail in South Boston
      on St. Patrick's day when the commemorative beer
      drinking starts the evening before. :) :) Seriously,
      it would make some common sense also. Unlike many of
      you Brits with units which have a regimental history
      hundreds of years old, US forces were virtual
      upstarts. After the Revolutionary War all of the US
      colonial forces, Navy, Marines and Army were disbanded
      and actually did not start coming back into formal
      existence until the 1790's. R. R. White 1812 Marine
      USS Constitution.
      --- "Sgt. Wattie" <cwattie@...> wrote:
      > Hmmm ... memo to self: buy grey roundabout ...
      >
      > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Robert White
      > <whiteesq@y...> wrote:
      > > For what its worth, it is my understanding that
      > most
      > > US units did not even have colors during the war
      > of
      > > 1812 and seldom was the national colours used as a
      > > battle standard. For instance the U.S. Marine
      > Corps
      > > did not have colours at all and did not until
      > later in
      > > the century. I do know that at Fort McHenry which
      > was
      > > under the command of Steve Abolt that we did not
      > march
      > > the colors. R.R. White, 1812 Marine USS
      > Constitution
      > > --- Kevin Windsor <kevin.windsor@s...> wrote:
      > > > Never happens up here in Canuckistan Benton. I
      > > > don't know if I recall the US ever having
      > Colours up
      > > > hear. Would look great though!
      > > >
      > > > Fort Meigs 2004!

      > watching,
      > > > but from what I have
      > when
      > > > S. Abolt is in command -- do "the colour thing"
      > all
      > > > the time.

      > design software
      > > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • Rob Taylor
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 2, 2003
        Hello List: Does the night battle Saturday night start
        at 8:00 p.m.?

        Thanks
        Rob Taylor

        =====
        War of 1812 Website: war1812.tripod.com

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • Rob Taylor

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 2, 2003
            Dear List,

            To clarify some of this Color question:

            Whenever the 7th INF is present at events we "uncase
            and case" our Colors with all due solemnity. It is
            part of every event we do where our Colors are
            present.
            As has already been eloquently stated Colors are more
            than painted and sewn pieces of cloth. They are
            visible symbols of a regiment's honor. They are
            symbols of its past, and present---a legacy to pass to
            the future. As many of you know we do not treat them
            or anyones Color or Color ceremony lightly or with
            triviality.

            We generally do this ceremony amongst ourselves as
            these Colors represent our unit not, for example The
            Marine Guard off Constitution...which is why Robert
            you didn't see it at McHenry last year. I don't feel
            it is my right to make you stand through our
            Regimental Color Ceremony. You will remember that all
            units were present for Morning Troop and Evening
            Retreat when the Garrison Flag is used as this Flag is
            the symbol for all those portraying Americans at the
            event. So yes, you actually were there and did see and
            participate in it. This same Flag Raising for all
            American units present is done at Mississinewa, Ft.
            Jackson and New Orleans.

            When we Troop our Regimental Colors every year at New
            Orleans we invite all participating units, American
            and British to attend. Likewise when the 93rd has its
            ceremony we also attend. These ceremonies are more
            than just wastes of times. They are outward symbols
            of mutual respect, elan and esprit d' corps.

            When I command at New Orleans I also have the
            artillery hold a round back to fire as the British
            Flag is raised or lowered---again a symbol of mutual
            respect. And as there is no British Artillery units
            present it is the courteous thing to do.

            As to US units not having National Colors that is
            incorrect. The National Color of US Regiments in the
            War of 1812 is not the Stars and Stripes. Instead it
            is a blue silk Color with the arms of the US
            embroidered or painted on them along with the name of
            the Regiment and stars spread above the eagles head in
            correspondence with the number of states in the union.

            By the 1840's American Infantry regiments are issued
            the Stars and Stripes as their National Standard.
            Their old National Standard is modified to become the
            Regimental Color and the old Regimental or Battalion
            Color phased out.

            Whenever we brigade with our sister units of the 1st,
            6th, 25th, and Rifle Regiment and their Colors are
            present they are also accorded the same ceremony when
            casing and uncasing. A proud moment for me is knowing
            that Dave Bennett's command of the 1st USI has now
            obtained their Regimental Color and will have them
            along with us at Mississinea in October. They are
            currently raising funds to purchase their National
            Standard.

            In 2001 we brought our colors to Canada, most
            specifically Ft. Erie where the "casing and uncasing"
            was carried out. So Kevin, American Regimental colors
            have been there. We had such a marvelous time at Ft.
            Erie we have wanted to return. Unfortunately we will
            miss out again this year due to scheduling and
            budgetary constraints. But we will get back there and
            so will the Colors.

            Even on the movie shoot we just finished for the
            History Channel at Meigs when the Colors were required
            for a shot they were still produced, uncased and cased
            with due solemnity. When we were off at one end of
            the fort waiting for the next shot and British Colors
            marched by the unified command---1st, 6th 7th, 25th
            were called to attention and honors paid. We feel it
            is the right, proper and honorable thing to do.

            Sure will miss being at Ft. Erie! Looking forward to
            seeing some of you at Ft. McHenry and at Mississinewa!

            Now how many of you are coming to New Orleans??????

            Warmest regards,
            S.

            --- Robert White <whiteesq@...> wrote:
            > For what its worth, it is my understanding that most
            > US units did not even have colors during the war of
            > 1812 and seldom was the national colours used as a
            > battle standard. For instance the U.S. Marine Corps
            > did not have colours at all and did not until later
            > in
            > the century. I do know that at Fort McHenry which
            > was
            > under the command of Steve Abolt that we did not
            > march
            > the colors. R.R. White, 1812 Marine USS
            > Constitution

            > --- Kevin Windsor <kevin.windsor@...>
            > wrote:
            > > Never happens up here in Canuckistan Benton. I
            > > don't know if I recall the US ever having Colours
            > up
            > > hear. Would look great though!
            > >
            > > Fort Meigs 2004!
            > >

            > > HQ93rd@... wrote:
            > >
            > > > I don't know who has been going over and
            > watching,
            > > but from what I have
            > > > always seen --- The "Yank" units -- at least
            > when
            > > S. Abolt is in command -- do "the colour thing"
            > all
            > > the time.

            > design software
            > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com