Re: Brit line NOW Crown Forces of UC/NA

  • Sgt. Wattie
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 2, 2003
      Hmmm ... memo to self: buy grey roundabout ...

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Robert White <whiteesq@y...> wrote:
      > For what its worth, it is my understanding that most
      > US units did not even have colors during the war of
      > 1812 and seldom was the national colours used as a
      > battle standard. For instance the U.S. Marine Corps
      > did not have colours at all and did not until later in
      > the century. I do know that at Fort McHenry which was
      > under the command of Steve Abolt that we did not march
      > the colors. R.R. White, 1812 Marine USS Constitution
      > --- Kevin Windsor <kevin.windsor@s...> wrote:
      > > Never happens up here in Canuckistan Benton. I
      > > don't know if I recall the US ever having Colours up
      > > hear. Would look great though!
      > >
      > > Fort Meigs 2004!
      > >

      > > HQ93rd@a... wrote:
      > >
      > > > I don't know who has been going over and watching,
      > > but from what I have
      > > > always seen --- The "Yank" units -- at least when
      > > S. Abolt is in command -- do "the colour thing" all
      > > the time.

      > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • Robert White
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 2, 2003
        As a point of interest on colours, many in our outfit
        believe we should have some type of colours to
        identify our unit when we march in parades, etc. Our
        historian says absolutely not because it would not be
        correct. I think we should have them for safety's
        sake in some cases for instance when we marched in the
        South Boston St. Patrick's Day parade with our music
        in front in his red coat with blue trim, despite the
        rest of the Marines being in the reverse colors of bue
        with red we were thought to be British. Not an
        entirely healty perception to prevail in South Boston
        on St. Patrick's day when the commemorative beer
        drinking starts the evening before. :) :) Seriously,
        it would make some common sense also. Unlike many of
        you Brits with units which have a regimental history
        hundreds of years old, US forces were virtual
        upstarts. After the Revolutionary War all of the US
        colonial forces, Navy, Marines and Army were disbanded
        and actually did not start coming back into formal
        existence until the 1790's. R. R. White 1812 Marine
        USS Constitution.
        --- "Sgt. Wattie" <cwattie@...> wrote:
        > Hmmm ... memo to self: buy grey roundabout ...
        >
        > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Robert White
        > <whiteesq@y...> wrote:
        > > For what its worth, it is my understanding that
        > most
        > > US units did not even have colors during the war
        > of
        > > 1812 and seldom was the national colours used as a
        > > battle standard. For instance the U.S. Marine
        > Corps
        > > did not have colours at all and did not until
        > later in
        > > the century. I do know that at Fort McHenry which
        > was
        > > under the command of Steve Abolt that we did not
        > march
        > > the colors. R.R. White, 1812 Marine USS
        > Constitution
        > > --- Kevin Windsor <kevin.windsor@s...> wrote:
        > > > Never happens up here in Canuckistan Benton. I
        > > > don't know if I recall the US ever having
        > Colours up
        > > > hear. Would look great though!
        > > >
        > > > Fort Meigs 2004!

        > watching,
        > > > but from what I have
        > when
        > > > S. Abolt is in command -- do "the colour thing"
        > all
        > > > the time.

        > design software
        > > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • Rob Taylor
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 2, 2003
          Hello List: Does the night battle Saturday night start
          at 8:00 p.m.?

          Thanks
          Rob Taylor

          =====
          War of 1812 Website: war1812.tripod.com

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
        • Rob Taylor

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 2, 2003
              Dear List,

              To clarify some of this Color question:

              Whenever the 7th INF is present at events we "uncase
              and case" our Colors with all due solemnity. It is
              part of every event we do where our Colors are
              present.
              As has already been eloquently stated Colors are more
              than painted and sewn pieces of cloth. They are
              visible symbols of a regiment's honor. They are
              symbols of its past, and present---a legacy to pass to
              the future. As many of you know we do not treat them
              or anyones Color or Color ceremony lightly or with
              triviality.

              We generally do this ceremony amongst ourselves as
              these Colors represent our unit not, for example The
              Marine Guard off Constitution...which is why Robert
              you didn't see it at McHenry last year. I don't feel
              it is my right to make you stand through our
              Regimental Color Ceremony. You will remember that all
              units were present for Morning Troop and Evening
              Retreat when the Garrison Flag is used as this Flag is
              the symbol for all those portraying Americans at the
              event. So yes, you actually were there and did see and
              participate in it. This same Flag Raising for all
              American units present is done at Mississinewa, Ft.
              Jackson and New Orleans.

              When we Troop our Regimental Colors every year at New
              Orleans we invite all participating units, American
              and British to attend. Likewise when the 93rd has its
              ceremony we also attend. These ceremonies are more
              than just wastes of times. They are outward symbols
              of mutual respect, elan and esprit d' corps.

              When I command at New Orleans I also have the
              artillery hold a round back to fire as the British
              Flag is raised or lowered---again a symbol of mutual
              respect. And as there is no British Artillery units
              present it is the courteous thing to do.

              As to US units not having National Colors that is
              incorrect. The National Color of US Regiments in the
              War of 1812 is not the Stars and Stripes. Instead it
              is a blue silk Color with the arms of the US
              embroidered or painted on them along with the name of
              the Regiment and stars spread above the eagles head in
              correspondence with the number of states in the union.

              By the 1840's American Infantry regiments are issued
              the Stars and Stripes as their National Standard.
              Their old National Standard is modified to become the
              Regimental Color and the old Regimental or Battalion
              Color phased out.

              Whenever we brigade with our sister units of the 1st,
              6th, 25th, and Rifle Regiment and their Colors are
              present they are also accorded the same ceremony when
              casing and uncasing. A proud moment for me is knowing
              that Dave Bennett's command of the 1st USI has now
              obtained their Regimental Color and will have them
              along with us at Mississinea in October. They are
              currently raising funds to purchase their National
              Standard.

              In 2001 we brought our colors to Canada, most
              specifically Ft. Erie where the "casing and uncasing"
              was carried out. So Kevin, American Regimental colors
              have been there. We had such a marvelous time at Ft.
              Erie we have wanted to return. Unfortunately we will
              miss out again this year due to scheduling and
              budgetary constraints. But we will get back there and
              so will the Colors.

              Even on the movie shoot we just finished for the
              History Channel at Meigs when the Colors were required
              for a shot they were still produced, uncased and cased
              with due solemnity. When we were off at one end of
              the fort waiting for the next shot and British Colors
              marched by the unified command---1st, 6th 7th, 25th
              were called to attention and honors paid. We feel it
              is the right, proper and honorable thing to do.

              Sure will miss being at Ft. Erie! Looking forward to
              seeing some of you at Ft. McHenry and at Mississinewa!

              Now how many of you are coming to New Orleans??????

              Warmest regards,
              S.

              --- Robert White <whiteesq@...> wrote:
              > For what its worth, it is my understanding that most
              > US units did not even have colors during the war of
              > 1812 and seldom was the national colours used as a
              > battle standard. For instance the U.S. Marine Corps
              > did not have colours at all and did not until later
              > in
              > the century. I do know that at Fort McHenry which
              > was
              > under the command of Steve Abolt that we did not
              > march
              > the colors. R.R. White, 1812 Marine USS
              > Constitution

              > --- Kevin Windsor <kevin.windsor@...>
              > wrote:
              > > Never happens up here in Canuckistan Benton. I
              > > don't know if I recall the US ever having Colours
              > up
              > > hear. Would look great though!
              > >
              > > Fort Meigs 2004!
              > >

              > > HQ93rd@... wrote:
              > >
              > > > I don't know who has been going over and
              > watching,
              > > but from what I have
              > > > always seen --- The "Yank" units -- at least
              > when
              > > S. Abolt is in command -- do "the colour thing"
              > all
              > > the time.

              > design software
              > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com