Re: General WIlliam Henry Harrison in Michigan

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2003
      Kevin:
      Thanks. The info corrresponds with my research....but there have been
      references to a War of 1812 winter camp near Saline for decades ---
      some grape shot, and other items, were found in 1895 (according to an
      article in the local paper that year).
      I have permission from the landowner to do some excavation/metal
      detecting tomorrow ---if anything at all turns up we'll just mark it
      (not remove it) and call in the professionals.
      I can keep you updated, if you wish.
      Steve

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.c7om, "K. J. Lindsey" <union47th@y...>
      wrote:
      > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <dogface1441@y...> wrote:
      > > Searching for information about General William Harrison's
      campaign
      > > in Michigan. Supposedly his troops wintered in 1814/15 near
      Saline,
      > > Michigan. Any info would be appreciated.
      > >
      > > Steve
      > > dogface1441@y...
      >
      > According to "Michigan in the War of 1812" by Steven Hamill, after
      > his victory on the Thames, Harrison withdrew to Sandwich starting
      on
      > Oct 7, 1813. Harrison and Perry left Detroit on October 19, 1813
      with
      > a flotilla of ships transporting 1300 troops to the Niagra front.
      > Lewis Cass was placed in command of the Detroit frontier, and was
      > soon appointed territorial governor. (Ironically, it was on this
      date
      > Aug 1,1831 that he resigned his post to become Andrew Jackson's
      Sec'y
      > of War). Harrison resigned from the Army in 1814. When Cass called
      > for reinforcements, he called on Gen. Duncan McArthur from Ohio,
      who
      > responded with Kentucky Volunteers.
      >
      > Kevin
      > Michigan
    • K. J. Lindsey
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2003
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <dogface1441@y...> wrote:
        > Kevin:
        > Thanks. The info corrresponds with my research....but there have
        been
        > references to a War of 1812 winter camp near Saline for decades ---

        > some grape shot, and other items, were found in 1895 (according to
        an
        > article in the local paper that year).
        > I have permission from the landowner to do some excavation/metal
        > detecting tomorrow ---if anything at all turns up we'll just mark
        it
        > (not remove it) and call in the professionals.
        > I can keep you updated, if you wish.
        > Steve

        Steve,
        I will scrounge around some more to see if I can find anything
        else, but please do keep us updated!

        Kevin
      • Steve
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 2003
          Yesterday five us (with permission) took our metal detectors to a
          private property near Saline to hunt for artifacts from a (rumored)
          War of 1812 winter encampment of William Henry Harrison's soldiers.

          One of our group was an experienced artifact hunter -- and had we
          found anything it would have been marked and calls for professionals
          to come in would have been made.

          We spent nearly three hours digging spots where the detectors said
          there was metal (until an afternoon rain chased us away). We had our
          detectors set on "all metal" so we uncovered quite a bit of scrap
          metal --- all from this century. We found nothing from the early
          1800s. Actually, the most valuable item we found was a 1974 penny.

          I suspect we were about a hundred feet off ---- but that area has
          heavy ground cover and is difficult to get into. We'll try again
          this fall when some of the leaves are gone.

          I'll keep you updated.

          Steve

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "K. J. Lindsey" <union47th@y...>