Re: flashguards

  • Gord_1812
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2003

      > True Story..........
      >
      > A highland unit, bout 20 guys show up at a Rev event at a USA
      National
      > Parks site. Sat morning they check muskets, the Highland unit was
      denied
      > access to all firing due to no flash guards and hammerstalls.
      >
      > I would hate to have that happen at Ft. George or Erie ........
      > as it is on their rules, printed and handed out to all who attend
      and has
      > been for years .
      Yes Rev war events seem to really push the flash guard and hammer
      stalls. But like some have said. "That's what they did." There are
      some reports of the military trying out flash guards but it didn't
      catch on. in The 1800's so why does the rev war crowd put them?
      And is there actually documentation on hammer stalls?

      Gord
    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 2, 2003
        In a message dated 8/1/2003 11:31:36 PM Central Daylight Time,
        gord_1812@... writes:

        > Yes Rev war events seem to really push the flash guard and hammer
        > stalls.

        Yes of course they do, they invented them to try to make using a musket safe
        for people who were either scared of the weapon or to lazy to get it right.

        But like some have said. "That's what they did." There are

        > some reports of the military trying out flash guards but it didn't
        > catch on. in The 1800's so why does the rev war crowd put them?
        > And is there actually documentation on hammer stalls?

        No, it is not what they did. There are limited reports of such devices being
        used on unserviceable weapon that could not be replaced. Flashguards on ones
        where the touch hole had become over enlarged and hammerstalls where the half
        cock was not operating properly.

        There were some experiments with the 'self priming' lock that the Prussians
        had developed but of course the flashguard was cast integral with the lock. As
        you rightly say they were never introduced into service.

        They are only in use today because the Rev War people introduced them for
        their bicentennial!

      • David Webb
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 3, 2003
          Hello List,
          While flashguards are a highly debated bit of safety equipment, and I know
          of two people who have been hit by flying flashguards, they are less
          intrusive than more conventional eye protection.
          It will never happen you say? I just learned of a historic site where
          the soldiers now wear construction goggles when they fire muskets.
          Increasingly labour laws in Canada are being very strictly interpreted,
          and some historic site managers are being told that not only could they get
          fired and be sued after an accident, but that they could also end up in
          jail if they do not demonstrate "due diligence" under the law. Insurance
          companies are less interested in taking risks these days. At Fort George,
          we used to be able to sign up the Fire Department as volunteers to fire off
          Canada Day fireworks when the Town's insurance company refused to cover the
          activity, but our policy will no longer cover this. It still covers
          participants at our events, but this may not last. Insurance companies,
          historic site safety committees, and nervous managers may well dictate
          safety equipment in the future.
          --Dave Webb At 09:42 AM 02/08/2003 -0400, you wrote:
          >In a message dated 8/1/2003 11:31:36 PM Central Daylight Time,
          >gord_1812@... writes:
          >

          > > Yes Rev war events seem to really push the flash guard and hammer
          > > stalls.
          >
          >Yes of course they do, they invented them to try to make using a musket safe
          >for people who were either scared of the weapon or to lazy to get it right.
          >

          > But like some have said. "That's what they did." There are
          >
          > > some reports of the military trying out flash guards but it didn't
          > > catch on. in The 1800's so why does the rev war crowd put them?
          > > And is there actually documentation on hammer stalls?
          > >

          >No, it is not what they did. There are limited reports of such devices being
          >used on unserviceable weapon that could not be replaced. Flashguards on ones
          >where the touch hole had become over enlarged and hammerstalls where the half
          >cock was not operating properly.
          >
          >There were some experiments with the 'self priming' lock that the Prussians
          >had developed but of course the flashguard was cast integral with the
          >lock. As
          >you rightly say they were never introduced into service.
          >
          >They are only in use today because the Rev War people introduced them for
          >their bicentennial!
          >
          >Cheers
          >
          >Tim

          >of square miles...

        • Mark Dickerson
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 9, 2009
            Now before a big argument begins, let me state that I am NOT looking to
            start a debate on flashguards. I am neither endorsing or discrediting
            flashguards. I am NOT attempting to incite a civil war. I am only posting
            this as an interesting tidbit of information. Do with it as you wish. We
            have all seen the various positive and negative arguments on both sides of
            the issue about flashguards, tilting muskets and safety and I don't think we
            need to revisit the issue. Please do NOT let this turn into another flurry
            of hundreds of emails about flashguards.

            My only reason for posting this is to show that some problems we have today,
            existed back then. History does indeed repeat itself.

            Taken from THE REGIMENTAL COMPANION, by Charles James, 7th edition, Vol 1,
            London, 1811. Page XXVII I do not believe that this book had official
            endorsement.

            ".naturally leads me to recommend, that a side-guard made of good tempered
            steel or iron should be attached to the outside of the pans of our musquets.
            Every musquet in the Prussian service is so fenced. The advantage is
            two-fold. First, it would protect the pan from the insinuation of the moist
            vapour through the side crevice; and secondly, the crude or coarse grains of
            powder, which invariable fly into the face of every right hand man, from the
            discharge of the musquet on his left, would be repelled by it."

            Mark D

          • BritcomHMP@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 9, 2009
              Fascinating reference Mark and the first time I have seen anything in
              English to do with flashguards in British service.

              As you say this publication did not have official endorsement. Many of
              these works pop up and they aimed towards the weekend warriors of the militia
              rather than the regulars who had the official manuals to work from.

              Personaly I don't think that anyone will ever convince me that a device
              which prevents the correct operation of a weapon is a 'safety device' but as
              you say this is most interesting, and period!