Research Query

  • Gareth Newfield
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1 9:03 PM
      Hi All,

      I've discovered a Finart print of a bass drummer (95th Rifles?,
      dated c. 1816) which of which I'd like to get ahold of for the
      purposes of doing research on period musical percussion techniques.
      The original in question currently resides in the Royal Collection of
      HM the Queen. Short of asking HM for a copy (which has already been
      suggested by some wags...), does anyone know of a means by which one
      can obtain copies of works held in the Royal Collection? Obviously,
      it can be done, given the number of pieces from the collection
      appearing in Osprey books lately. Do any esteemed researchers on the
      list have a recommendation?

      Any and all assistance would be appreciated immensely!

      Regards,

      Gareth Newfield, Corporal Drummer
      Corps of Drums, Crown Forces of N.A.
      Incorporated Militia of U.C.
    • celer_et_audax_7_60th
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2 8:45 PM
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Gareth Newfield" <gnfield@r...>
        wrote:
        > Hi All,
        >
        > I've discovered a Finart print of a bass drummer (95th Rifles?,
        > dated c. 1816) which of which I'd like to get ahold of for the
        > purposes of doing research on period musical percussion
        techniques.
        > The original in question currently resides in the Royal Collection
        of
        > HM the Queen. Short of asking HM for a copy (which has already
        been
        > suggested by some wags...), does anyone know of a means by which
        one
        > can obtain copies of works held in the Royal Collection?
        Obviously,
        > it can be done, given the number of pieces from the collection
        > appearing in Osprey books lately. Do any esteemed researchers on
        the
        > list have a recommendation?
        >
        > Any and all assistance would be appreciated immensely!
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Gareth Newfield, Corporal Drummer
        > Corps of Drums, Crown Forces of N.A.
        > Incorporated Militia of U.C.

        Gareth,

        the watercolor of which you speak was one of a black drummer in a
        white jacket with bastion looped lace (silver or white) that was
        made by a French artist, Finart. The background in the pic resembles
        the one done of a rifleman by another artist, Genty, so it has been
        thought by some (WY Carman, Percy Sumner) to be of a drummer in the
        occupation quarters outside Paris after Waterloo. It has been
        thought to be a 95th or perhaps a Rifle Brigade drummer, since the
        95th was taken out of the line in Feb 1816 and re-styled the RB.
        There is no confirmation of it, though- it is mostly a matter of
        conjecture. I think there is a legend or shield on the drum, but I
        don't have my copy handy. I don't recall seeing 95 or RB on it,
        though. A lot of the French artists tended to take a lot of
        liberties in the depiction of details of their British military
        subjects, so, a caveat is in order.

        Try contacting The Royal Green Jackets Museum, Peninsula Barracks,
        Romsey Road, Winchester SO23 8TS. United Kingdom, Attn: Curator.
        They have a copy of the picture in their collection.

        Further info, incl. email contact, available at:
        http://www.royalgreenjackets.co.uk/framesetpages/mainpages/museum/res
        earch.htm

        HTH
        Roger Fuller

        PS while you're at it, ask them about the Highland Coy. in the
        2/95th before 1810 -complete with bagpipers with rifle green tartan
        (solid color) bags on their pipes! One is on display there. No idea
        if the pipers wore kilts, though- I highly doubt it.