Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Brit line NOW Crown Forces of UC/NA

  • HQ93rd@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2003
      In a message dated 30/07/2003 6:30:41 PM, gord_1812@... writes:

      > > > But now do we really have to
      > > > take half an hour to fall in for every parade or battle?
      > >
      > > If it gives me a sense of pride I imagine I am not alone?
      >
      > It looks nice and it is cool. BUT it gets to be a pain every time we
      > fall in or out.  (You like it. Great!  It's not my bag)
      > >
      > > > The Yank units are looking better all the time to me.

      I don't know who has been going over and watching, but from what I have
      always seen --- The "Yank" units -- at least when S. Abolt is in command -- do "the
      colour thing" all the time.
      As has been said -- it is what was done, by the people what was doing it, and
      it is them that we is portraying.
      If one does not want to "do it right", there's always golf, or community
      theatre.

      93rd SHRoFLHU
      THE Thin Red Line
      www.93rdhighlanders.com

    • Kevin Windsor
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2003
        Never happens up here in Canuckistan Benton. I don't know if I recall the US ever having Colours up hear. Would look great though!

        Fort Meigs 2004!

        HQ93rd@... wrote:

        > I don't know who has been going over and watching, but from what I have
        > always seen --- The "Yank" units -- at least when S. Abolt is in command -- do "the colour thing" all the time.
      • badger222ca
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2003
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Windsor <kevin.windsor@s...>
          wrote:
          > Never happens up here in Canuckistan Benton. I don't know if I
          recall the US ever having Colours up hear.

          Kevin:
          There were U.S. colours at Crysler's and at Chatham last year.
          T. Avery
        • Robert White
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 2, 2003
            For what its worth, it is my understanding that most
            US units did not even have colors during the war of
            1812 and seldom was the national colours used as a
            battle standard. For instance the U.S. Marine Corps
            did not have colours at all and did not until later in
            the century. I do know that at Fort McHenry which was
            under the command of Steve Abolt that we did not march
            the colors. R.R. White, 1812 Marine USS Constitution
            --- Kevin Windsor <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:
            > Never happens up here in Canuckistan Benton. I
            > don't know if I recall the US ever having Colours up
            > hear. Would look great though!
            >
            > Fort Meigs 2004!
            >

            > HQ93rd@... wrote:
            >
            > > I don't know who has been going over and watching,
            > but from what I have
            > > always seen --- The "Yank" units -- at least when
            > S. Abolt is in command -- do "the colour thing" all
            > the time.

            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
          • Sgt. Wattie
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 2, 2003
              Hmmm ... memo to self: buy grey roundabout ...

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Robert White <whiteesq@y...> wrote:
              > For what its worth, it is my understanding that most
              > US units did not even have colors during the war of
              > 1812 and seldom was the national colours used as a
              > battle standard. For instance the U.S. Marine Corps
              > did not have colours at all and did not until later in
              > the century. I do know that at Fort McHenry which was
              > under the command of Steve Abolt that we did not march
              > the colors. R.R. White, 1812 Marine USS Constitution
              > --- Kevin Windsor <kevin.windsor@s...> wrote:
              > > Never happens up here in Canuckistan Benton. I
              > > don't know if I recall the US ever having Colours up
              > > hear. Would look great though!
              > >
              > > Fort Meigs 2004!
              > >

              > > HQ93rd@a... wrote:
              > >
              > > > I don't know who has been going over and watching,
              > > but from what I have
              > > > always seen --- The "Yank" units -- at least when
              > > S. Abolt is in command -- do "the colour thing" all
              > > the time.

              > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
            • Robert White
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 2, 2003
                As a point of interest on colours, many in our outfit
                believe we should have some type of colours to
                identify our unit when we march in parades, etc. Our
                historian says absolutely not because it would not be
                correct. I think we should have them for safety's
                sake in some cases for instance when we marched in the
                South Boston St. Patrick's Day parade with our music
                in front in his red coat with blue trim, despite the
                rest of the Marines being in the reverse colors of bue
                with red we were thought to be British. Not an
                entirely healty perception to prevail in South Boston
                on St. Patrick's day when the commemorative beer
                drinking starts the evening before. :) :) Seriously,
                it would make some common sense also. Unlike many of
                you Brits with units which have a regimental history
                hundreds of years old, US forces were virtual
                upstarts. After the Revolutionary War all of the US
                colonial forces, Navy, Marines and Army were disbanded
                and actually did not start coming back into formal
                existence until the 1790's. R. R. White 1812 Marine
                USS Constitution.
                --- "Sgt. Wattie" <cwattie@...> wrote:
                > Hmmm ... memo to self: buy grey roundabout ...
                >
                > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Robert White
                > <whiteesq@y...> wrote:
                > > For what its worth, it is my understanding that
                > most
                > > US units did not even have colors during the war
                > of
                > > 1812 and seldom was the national colours used as a
                > > battle standard. For instance the U.S. Marine
                > Corps
                > > did not have colours at all and did not until
                > later in
                > > the century. I do know that at Fort McHenry which
                > was
                > > under the command of Steve Abolt that we did not
                > march
                > > the colors. R.R. White, 1812 Marine USS
                > Constitution
                > > --- Kevin Windsor <kevin.windsor@s...> wrote:
                > > > Never happens up here in Canuckistan Benton. I
                > > > don't know if I recall the US ever having
                > Colours up
                > > > hear. Would look great though!
                > > >
                > > > Fort Meigs 2004!

                > watching,
                > > > but from what I have
                > when
                > > > S. Abolt is in command -- do "the colour thing"
                > all
                > > > the time.

                > design software
                > > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

                http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
              • Rob Taylor
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 2, 2003
                  Hello List: Does the night battle Saturday night start
                  at 8:00 p.m.?

                  Thanks
                  Rob Taylor

                  =====
                  War of 1812 Website: war1812.tripod.com

                  http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                • Rob Taylor

                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 2, 2003
                      Dear List,

                      To clarify some of this Color question:

                      Whenever the 7th INF is present at events we "uncase
                      and case" our Colors with all due solemnity. It is
                      part of every event we do where our Colors are
                      present.
                      As has already been eloquently stated Colors are more
                      than painted and sewn pieces of cloth. They are
                      visible symbols of a regiment's honor. They are
                      symbols of its past, and present---a legacy to pass to
                      the future. As many of you know we do not treat them
                      or anyones Color or Color ceremony lightly or with
                      triviality.

                      We generally do this ceremony amongst ourselves as
                      these Colors represent our unit not, for example The
                      Marine Guard off Constitution...which is why Robert
                      you didn't see it at McHenry last year. I don't feel
                      it is my right to make you stand through our
                      Regimental Color Ceremony. You will remember that all
                      units were present for Morning Troop and Evening
                      Retreat when the Garrison Flag is used as this Flag is
                      the symbol for all those portraying Americans at the
                      event. So yes, you actually were there and did see and
                      participate in it. This same Flag Raising for all
                      American units present is done at Mississinewa, Ft.
                      Jackson and New Orleans.

                      When we Troop our Regimental Colors every year at New
                      Orleans we invite all participating units, American
                      and British to attend. Likewise when the 93rd has its
                      ceremony we also attend. These ceremonies are more
                      than just wastes of times. They are outward symbols
                      of mutual respect, elan and esprit d' corps.

                      When I command at New Orleans I also have the
                      artillery hold a round back to fire as the British
                      Flag is raised or lowered---again a symbol of mutual
                      respect. And as there is no British Artillery units
                      present it is the courteous thing to do.

                      As to US units not having National Colors that is
                      incorrect. The National Color of US Regiments in the
                      War of 1812 is not the Stars and Stripes. Instead it
                      is a blue silk Color with the arms of the US
                      embroidered or painted on them along with the name of
                      the Regiment and stars spread above the eagles head in
                      correspondence with the number of states in the union.

                      By the 1840's American Infantry regiments are issued
                      the Stars and Stripes as their National Standard.
                      Their old National Standard is modified to become the
                      Regimental Color and the old Regimental or Battalion
                      Color phased out.

                      Whenever we brigade with our sister units of the 1st,
                      6th, 25th, and Rifle Regiment and their Colors are
                      present they are also accorded the same ceremony when
                      casing and uncasing. A proud moment for me is knowing
                      that Dave Bennett's command of the 1st USI has now
                      obtained their Regimental Color and will have them
                      along with us at Mississinea in October. They are
                      currently raising funds to purchase their National
                      Standard.

                      In 2001 we brought our colors to Canada, most
                      specifically Ft. Erie where the "casing and uncasing"
                      was carried out. So Kevin, American Regimental colors
                      have been there. We had such a marvelous time at Ft.
                      Erie we have wanted to return. Unfortunately we will
                      miss out again this year due to scheduling and
                      budgetary constraints. But we will get back there and
                      so will the Colors.

                      Even on the movie shoot we just finished for the
                      History Channel at Meigs when the Colors were required
                      for a shot they were still produced, uncased and cased
                      with due solemnity. When we were off at one end of
                      the fort waiting for the next shot and British Colors
                      marched by the unified command---1st, 6th 7th, 25th
                      were called to attention and honors paid. We feel it
                      is the right, proper and honorable thing to do.

                      Sure will miss being at Ft. Erie! Looking forward to
                      seeing some of you at Ft. McHenry and at Mississinewa!

                      Now how many of you are coming to New Orleans??????

                      Warmest regards,
                      S.

                      --- Robert White <whiteesq@...> wrote:
                      > For what its worth, it is my understanding that most
                      > US units did not even have colors during the war of
                      > 1812 and seldom was the national colours used as a
                      > battle standard. For instance the U.S. Marine Corps
                      > did not have colours at all and did not until later
                      > in
                      > the century. I do know that at Fort McHenry which
                      > was
                      > under the command of Steve Abolt that we did not
                      > march
                      > the colors. R.R. White, 1812 Marine USS
                      > Constitution

                      > --- Kevin Windsor <kevin.windsor@...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > Never happens up here in Canuckistan Benton. I
                      > > don't know if I recall the US ever having Colours
                      > up
                      > > hear. Would look great though!
                      > >
                      > > Fort Meigs 2004!
                      > >

                      > > HQ93rd@... wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > I don't know who has been going over and
                      > watching,
                      > > but from what I have
                      > > > always seen --- The "Yank" units -- at least
                      > when
                      > > S. Abolt is in command -- do "the colour thing"
                      > all
                      > > the time.

                      > design software
                      > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com