RE: [WarOf1812] Brit Line

  • Drums
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
      " Now, for the band. "

      J-P and others. First thanks for the recognition.

      As noted we are THE Corps of Drums not the band. A frequent
      misstatement, but we are definitely not the band. Although in fairness
      we do march with part of the band's percussion section - the bass
      drummer!

      As to more playing, the Corps has played ALL of the Camp & Garrison
      Duties mentioned and more, and more importantly, is quite prepared to
      continue to do so. We are prepared to do our duty and to earn our pay!!!

      "Drums"

      When I attended the Officers' and NCOs' school two
      years ago and first heard about the role the band was taking on, it
      thought: COOL! I'm the BandO for my Squadron and I LOVE martial music.

      As I've learned more about how band's were employed, I've thought that
      our band has been UNDER-utilized. A soldiers's clock was the band, as
      we all know, and there are many times during the day that be band would
      have played but doesn't seem to at our events.

      Here's what I'd like to see.

      Morning - one hour before breakfast (when the sun is nice and high) -
      Band plays "Reveille"

      As soon as possible after the gates are opened to the public - Band
      plays assembly and the battalion forms up in "dress of the day" (ie
      fatigues). This would be a GREAT time for our new weapons inspection
      procedure. Check'em all at the start of each day for safety!

      Dinner call at noon.

      Forming up for and during battle(s)

      Retreat and Tattoo.

      Events with Sunday services could be preceeded by the "Church Call"

      Yep, the band would be busy but wouldn't it be glorious!

      Sorry for the long post but, well, there it is....

      J-P Johnson
      Royal N.F.Land Reg't

      The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds
      of square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of
      THOUSANDS of square miles...

      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/