Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

General WIlliam Henry Harrison in Michigan

Expand Messages
  • Steve
    Searching for information about General William Harrison s campaign in Michigan. Supposedly his troops wintered in 1814/15 near Saline, Michigan. Any info
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2003
    • 0 Attachment
      Searching for information about General William Harrison's campaign
      in Michigan. Supposedly his troops wintered in 1814/15 near Saline,
      Michigan. Any info would be appreciated.

      Steve
      dogface1441@...
    • K. J. Lindsey
      ... According to Michigan in the War of 1812 by Steven Hamill, after his victory on the Thames, Harrison withdrew to Sandwich starting on Oct 7, 1813.
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2003
      • 0 Attachment
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <dogface1441@y...> wrote:
        > Searching for information about General William Harrison's campaign
        > in Michigan. Supposedly his troops wintered in 1814/15 near Saline,
        > Michigan. Any info would be appreciated.
        >
        > Steve
        > dogface1441@y...

        According to "Michigan in the War of 1812" by Steven Hamill, after
        his victory on the Thames, Harrison withdrew to Sandwich starting on
        Oct 7, 1813. Harrison and Perry left Detroit on October 19, 1813 with
        a flotilla of ships transporting 1300 troops to the Niagra front.
        Lewis Cass was placed in command of the Detroit frontier, and was
        soon appointed territorial governor. (Ironically, it was on this date
        Aug 1,1831 that he resigned his post to become Andrew Jackson's Sec'y
        of War). Harrison resigned from the Army in 1814. When Cass called
        for reinforcements, he called on Gen. Duncan McArthur from Ohio, who
        responded with Kentucky Volunteers.

        Kevin
        Michigan
      • Steve
        Kevin: Thanks. The info corrresponds with my research....but there have been references to a War of 1812 winter camp near Saline for decades --- some grape
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2003
        • 0 Attachment
          Kevin:
          Thanks. The info corrresponds with my research....but there have been
          references to a War of 1812 winter camp near Saline for decades ---
          some grape shot, and other items, were found in 1895 (according to an
          article in the local paper that year).
          I have permission from the landowner to do some excavation/metal
          detecting tomorrow ---if anything at all turns up we'll just mark it
          (not remove it) and call in the professionals.
          I can keep you updated, if you wish.
          Steve


          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.c7om, "K. J. Lindsey" <union47th@y...>
          wrote:
          > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <dogface1441@y...> wrote:
          > > Searching for information about General William Harrison's
          campaign
          > > in Michigan. Supposedly his troops wintered in 1814/15 near
          Saline,
          > > Michigan. Any info would be appreciated.
          > >
          > > Steve
          > > dogface1441@y...
          >
          > According to "Michigan in the War of 1812" by Steven Hamill, after
          > his victory on the Thames, Harrison withdrew to Sandwich starting
          on
          > Oct 7, 1813. Harrison and Perry left Detroit on October 19, 1813
          with
          > a flotilla of ships transporting 1300 troops to the Niagra front.
          > Lewis Cass was placed in command of the Detroit frontier, and was
          > soon appointed territorial governor. (Ironically, it was on this
          date
          > Aug 1,1831 that he resigned his post to become Andrew Jackson's
          Sec'y
          > of War). Harrison resigned from the Army in 1814. When Cass called
          > for reinforcements, he called on Gen. Duncan McArthur from Ohio,
          who
          > responded with Kentucky Volunteers.
          >
          > Kevin
          > Michigan
        • K. J. Lindsey
          ... been ... an ... it ... Steve, I will scrounge around some more to see if I can find anything else, but please do keep us updated! Kevin
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2, 2003
          • 0 Attachment
            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <dogface1441@y...> wrote:
            > Kevin:
            > Thanks. The info corrresponds with my research....but there have
            been
            > references to a War of 1812 winter camp near Saline for decades ---

            > some grape shot, and other items, were found in 1895 (according to
            an
            > article in the local paper that year).
            > I have permission from the landowner to do some excavation/metal
            > detecting tomorrow ---if anything at all turns up we'll just mark
            it
            > (not remove it) and call in the professionals.
            > I can keep you updated, if you wish.
            > Steve

            Steve,
            I will scrounge around some more to see if I can find anything
            else, but please do keep us updated!

            Kevin
          • Steve
            Yesterday five us (with permission) took our metal detectors to a private property near Saline to hunt for artifacts from a (rumored) War of 1812 winter
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 4, 2003
            • 0 Attachment
              Yesterday five us (with permission) took our metal detectors to a
              private property near Saline to hunt for artifacts from a (rumored)
              War of 1812 winter encampment of William Henry Harrison's soldiers.

              One of our group was an experienced artifact hunter -- and had we
              found anything it would have been marked and calls for professionals
              to come in would have been made.

              We spent nearly three hours digging spots where the detectors said
              there was metal (until an afternoon rain chased us away). We had our
              detectors set on "all metal" so we uncovered quite a bit of scrap
              metal --- all from this century. We found nothing from the early
              1800s. Actually, the most valuable item we found was a 1974 penny.

              I suspect we were about a hundred feet off ---- but that area has
              heavy ground cover and is difficult to get into. We'll try again
              this fall when some of the leaves are gone.

              I'll keep you updated.

              Steve



              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "K. J. Lindsey" <union47th@y...>
              wrote:
              > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <dogface1441@y...> wrote:
              > > Kevin:
              > > Thanks. The info corrresponds with my research....but there have
              > been
              > > references to a War of 1812 winter camp near Saline for decades -
              --
              >
              > > some grape shot, and other items, were found in 1895 (according
              to
              > an
              > > article in the local paper that year).
              > > I have permission from the landowner to do some excavation/metal
              > > detecting tomorrow ---if anything at all turns up we'll just
              mark
              > it
              > > (not remove it) and call in the professionals.
              > > I can keep you updated, if you wish.
              > > Steve
              >
              > Steve,
              > I will scrounge around some more to see if I can find anything
              > else, but please do keep us updated!
              >
              > Kevin
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.