Fairfield

  • badger222ca
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 4 11:58 AM
      Does anyone have any information about the event at Fairfield in
      Thamesville, Ont., on Aug. 30-31?

      T.Avery
    • Susan Spencer McLean
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 4 3:30 PM
        Contact info for Fairfield:

        Fairfield Comes Alive, 1812 Re-Enactment, Fairfield Museum
        <http://www.chatham-kent.ca/English/Recreation+and+Tourism/Heritage+and+Museums/Fairfield+Museum/Take+a+Trip+to+the+Fairfield+Museum.htm>
        14878 Longwoods Road, R.R.#3 Bothwell, N0P1C0. For more information
        contact Chris Aldred, phone: (519) 692-4397

        -- Sioux

      • badger222ca
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 4 6:32 PM
          Sioux:
          Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the page you listed the URL for
          no longer exists.
          Does Chris Aldred have an e-mail address?

          T.Avery

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Susan Spencer McLean <susan@m...>
          wrote:
          > Contact info for Fairfield:
          >
          > Fairfield Comes Alive, 1812 Re-Enactment, Fairfield Museum
          > <http://www.chatham-
          kent.ca/English/Recreation+and+Tourism/Heritage+and+Museums/Fairfield+
          Museum/Take+a+Trip+to+the+Fairfield+Museum.htm>
          > 14878 Longwoods Road, R.R.#3 Bothwell, N0P1C0. For more information
          > contact Chris Aldred, phone: (519) 692-4397
          >
          > -- Sioux

        • westhouse03
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 4 8:35 PM
            The Fairfield event takes place Labour Day weekend August 30th and
            31st. Beyond the phone number that is listed you can contact the
            UTMRS President(Royal Scots)or myself westhouse@... about
            the event.

            This text was taken from the site that Sue mentioned;

            Fairfield Museum is situated on the site of the Old Fairfield
            Village. Moravian missionaries and Delaware Indians, who came from
            Ohio to Canada, established the village in 1792. Old Fairfield was
            destroyed following the Battle of the Thames, October 5, 1813.

            Artifacts on display include those from the burnt village as well as
            items representing native culture. Picnic area on site.

            Driving Approach:

            Located on Highway #2 between Bothwell and Thamesville.

            Hours of Operation:

            May – October – Tuesday-Saturday – 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

            Sunday – 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.

            Other times by appointment.

            Admission Rates:

            $2.00/Adult, $1.00/ages 6-12

            Tel: (519) 692-4397
          • Susan Spencer McLean
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 5 5:45 AM
              badger222ca wrote:

              >Sioux:
              >Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the page you listed the URL for
              >no longer exists.
              >Does Chris Aldred have an e-mail address?

              Oh, apologies -- haven't visited it for a while! As far as I know,
              Chris does not have e-mail. However, our Mr. Westhouse appears to be
              the best contact!

              Thanks, Dave!

              -- Sioux

            • Glenn Stott
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 5 9:30 PM
                Dear T. Avery,
                As everyone has mentioned, Fairfield Comes Alive is always scheduled for the
                Labour Day weekend and features a Laid back approach to Living History.
                Camps are set up on Friday afternoon. There is a small re-enactment,
                depending upon numbers etc. In the past, the Royals and some members of the
                27th US (KMRS) participate along with sutlers and voyageurs. The weekend
                always proves to be relaxing and very enjoyable in probably the most
                ignored, yet historically significant location in Ontario. Plan to come!

                Glenn Stott, Royals
                ->
              • Dave Westhouse
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 4, 2005
                  This weekend a few re-enactors took part in an annual event at the
                  Fairfield museum site in southwestern Ontario at the site of the
                  Moravian Village burned by William Henry Harrison and his Kentucky
                  Militia.

                  It was great weather and a nice event again this year.
                  I have posted a few pictures from the event on the Royal Scots
                  website.

                  http://www.royalscotsgrenadiers.com/images.html

                  click on the fairfield picture or link and click 'next' to view other
                  pictures.

                  Dave Westhouse, Corporal
                  1st (Royal Scots) Grenadiers.
                • roy winders
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 4, 2006
                    Many thanks to Gail and the many volunteers for helping make Fairfield such a great weekend. Roy and Elsa, Rif Raf trading

                  • roy winders
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 31, 2008
                      Just got back from Fairfield and would like to thank Gail, Chris and all the volunteers who helped
                      make this a most enjoyable event, fun was had by all who chose to support this NON-SANCTIONED
                      event.
                      Roy Winders, Capt. B.I.D.

                    • HAROLD DENNISON
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 1, 2008
                        Roy,

                        Pleased to see that it was a success again this year. I will have to make it out again as it is generally an enjoyable weekend.
                        What do you mean by "non sanctioned event"?

                        Hal

                        Just got back from Fairfield and would like to thank Gail, Chris and all the volunteers who helped
                        make this a most enjoyable event, fun was had by all who chose to support this NON-SANCTIONED
                        event.
                        Roy Winders, Capt. B.I.D.

                        http://ca.toolbar yahoo.com.

                      • Craig Williams
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 1, 2008
                          My question exactly Dave.
                          What's a "non-sanctioned event" Roy ?

                          Craig Williams
                          On 1-Oct-08, at 11:42 PM, DAVID BRUNELLE wrote:

                          > What do you mean by non-sanctioned event?
                          >
                          > David Brunelle

                        • Gord Deans
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 1, 2008
                            Roy,

                            NON-SANCTIONED? Does this mean that we should NOT attend this event?
                            Is it UNSAFE? Is it UNINSURED? Is it UNPOPULAR? Is it on an
                            INCONVENIENT weekend? We are all curious.

                            HMS Charwell Landing Party has had many enjoyable years at this event
                            and would have been present this year except for the health issues of
                            Elsie and Ken Fisher and the equipment and vehicle theft from our
                            Royal Marine, Bill Kovaks.

                            Who "NON-SANCTIONED" it?

                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 2, 2008
                              To the staff of the crown forces and to the list I would like to extend my apollogies for
                              jumping the gun on an unfounded rumour, as Mr. Williams rightly pointed out to me, I
                              should have approached the crown forces staff directly. Mr Williams has not only assured me
                              but also convinced me that the rumour is exactly that. I take full responsibility for any trouble caused.
                              yr most humble servant,
                              Roy Winders, Capt. B.I.D.

                            • DAVID BRUNELLE
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 1, 2008