Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Proper US National Colors Etiquette

  • Stalin15@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3 6:51 AM
      Perhaps we can work from Reverse.

      When was the first offically published procedures (folding etc.) for the US
      Army National Colors? And does anyone know what information was contained in
      such?
      Are there any unoffically practices used or published by the US Army that
      anyone are aware of?
      If the procedures and practicies were made standard after the war,
      perhaps than it is a good assumption or it lends itself to insight that, that is
      how flag etiquette was in the war.

      --Patrick Costa
      Cushings Company; Fort Meigs, Ohio.

    • Brian Howard
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3 8:57 AM
        Steve,

        Great information. I recently was able to obtain a
        copy of Smyth's 1812 regulations for infantry and it
        details dropping the flag with the point reseting on
        the ground for saluting. Obviously this means that
        the national and regimental colors will be on the
        ground. At Fort Norfolk we use a garrison color on
        the size of 8' x 10'.

        Brian Howard
        2nd Virginia Regiment, 1813-1815

        http://sbc.yahoo.com