Re: Proper US National Colors Etiquette

  • nappingcrow
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3, 2003
      If there is no period reference to American flag ceremonies, is there
      any period reference to British ceremonies regarding the treatment of
      regimental or garrison colors? Perhaps American customs mimiced
      (then) current British practice in this?

    • Stalin15@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3, 2003
        Perhaps we can work from Reverse.

        When was the first offically published procedures (folding etc.) for the US
        Army National Colors? And does anyone know what information was contained in
        such?
        Are there any unoffically practices used or published by the US Army that
        anyone are aware of?
        If the procedures and practicies were made standard after the war,
        perhaps than it is a good assumption or it lends itself to insight that, that is
        how flag etiquette was in the war.

        --Patrick Costa
        Cushings Company; Fort Meigs, Ohio.

      • Brian Howard
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 3, 2003
          Steve,

          Great information. I recently was able to obtain a
          copy of Smyth's 1812 regulations for infantry and it
          details dropping the flag with the point reseting on
          the ground for saluting. Obviously this means that
          the national and regimental colors will be on the
          ground. At Fort Norfolk we use a garrison color on
          the size of 8' x 10'.

          Brian Howard
          2nd Virginia Regiment, 1813-1815

          http://sbc.yahoo.com