Re: Site of the First Parliament Building in Upper Canada

  • natty10000
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2 12:16 PM
      I was speaking with a City staffer last week about the matter and her
      tone seemed rather hopeful given the fact that the property owner has
      been free to start construction anytime since December 1st of last
      year. So, perhaps the site won't be developed after all (fingers
      crossed here).
      That there hasn't been any actual construction on the site was
      obviously a hopeful sign. However, between the owner having the OK
      from the Ontario Municipal Board to go ahead with construction
      anytime after December 1st last year, construction scaffolding
      apppearing around the site a couple or three weeks ago and the matter
      had dropping off the media radar, it's sometimes kind of hard to know
      what's really going on and who's playing chicken with whom. Still, we
      can only hope.

      FWIW, just to be on the safe side, I'd still stay on the provincial
      government on the matter and keep the letters and e-mails coming to
      the addresses below to show that there's a wide range of interest in
      the site from the Toronto area and elsewhere in Canada, the States,
      et al.

      Here's a hopin'.

      Ian

      Honourable Ernie Eves Premier (416) 325-1941
      ernie_eves at ontla.ola.org

      Honourable David Tsubouchi Minister of Culture (416) 327-2333
      david.tsubouchi at mbs.gov.on.ca
      dave_tsubouchi at ontla.ola.org

      Hon. David Young Minister MUNICIPAL AFFAIRS AND HOUSING 416-585-7000
      david_young at ontla.ola.org

      Mr. George Smitherman MPP Toronto Centre-Rosedale 416-972-7683
      george_smitherman-mpp at ontla.ola.org

      Mac Penney, Director of Policy, OFFICE OF THE PREMIER AND CABINET
      OFFICE 416-325-7815

      Mayor Mel Lastman Toronto 416 395 6464
      mayor_lastman at city.toronto.on.ca

      Deputy Mayor Case Ootes Toronto-Danforth 416 392 4032
      councillor_ootes at toronto.ca

      Councillor Pam McConnell Toronto Centre-Rosedale 416 392 7916
      councillor_mcconnell at city.toronto.on.ca

      Councillor Kyle Rae Toronto Centre-Rosedale 416 392 7903
      councillor_rae at city.toronto.on.ca

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "David Randle" <dg.r.is@r...> wrote:
      > This is from today's Toronto Sun. Of particular note is the
      comment made by
      > the editorial staff of the Sun, which follows the letter in
      parenthesis. I
      > hope it is true.
      >

      > David Randle
      >
      > Scout Brigade of Fort George
      >

      > LETTER OF THE DAY
      >
      > _____
      >
      > LOCATED AT 265 Front St. E. is a site owned by Downtown Fine Cars,
      which
      > plans to open a Porsche dealership. Heritage Toronto would like to
      delay
      > this until an excavation is done for historical purposes. This was
      the site
      > of Upper Canada's first Parliament Building.
      >
      > Constructed between 1795 and 1797, it was destroyed in 1813 by
      American
      > troops and rebuilt in 1819. Destroyed again by fire in 1824,
      authorities
      > decided not to rebuild. It wasn't until much later that the
      abandoned
      > property was used as a gas works by Consumers' Gas and, later, by
      various
      > small-scale automotive companies. The site is presently home to an
      unused
      > car wash and is slated for further commercial development.
      >
      > Unfortunately, the Porsche dealership will be constructed on the
      site of the
      > Parliament Building.
      >
      > Due to the historic importance of the site, we believe excavations
      should be
      > completed before the car dealership is built. Time must be given to
      > archeologists to enable them to discover artifacts and place them
      in a
      > museum for the public to enjoy and learn from. We will all have a
      great
      > opportunity to learn about our history as Canadians. We fully
      support
      > Heritage Toronto.
      >
      > Roma Boodhoo
      >
      > Carol Duong
      >
      > Grade 8 students
      >
      > Market Lane Public School
      >
      > Toronto
      >
      > (Good news: According to Coun. Pam McConnell and the lawyer for
      Downtown
      > Fine cars, a deal for a land swap is close to being reached)

    • natty10000
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2 12:23 PM
        The other thing that occurred to me about this mention about the
        not in the Toronto area, the Sun is a rather right-leaning paper
        (something akin to the New York Post) and is usually (though not
        always) loathe to print anything that might reflect badly on the
        provincial Conservative party which currently is in power in the
        Province. So, maybe. Just maybe.

        Ian
      • natty10000
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2 12:45 PM
          Sorry for the multiple posts but there's an article on the Globe and
          Mail website which seems to confirm the comments in the Sun. I tried
          posting the direct link but the wordwrap wrecks it. Just go to
          http://www.globeandmail.ca and search on 1812

          Fingers still crossed. It's one of those things I'll believe once the
          ownership papers signed (or should they be singed just for good
          measure), sealed and delivered.