Re: US Troops + Fort Henry

  • reenactor73
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2003
      This past weekend at Fort Henry was definately a good time. I
      enjoyed myself immensely and hope to return to Fort Henry next year.
      For those who had missed this event I strongly urge you to consider
      this event next year and bring as many with you. As Larry had said
      it was a beautiful camp area with a beautiful view of the lake.

      Karl
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@n...> wrote:
      > From: "john harris" <jharris@p...>
      >
      > " ......... John Harris
      > 25th US Whiting's Company "
      > ------------------------
      >
      > John et all;
      >
      > Sure could have used more US Troops at Fort Henry last week
      end!!

      > As a matter of fact it would be to the advantage of the 1812
      hobby
      > in the Great Lakes area to raise a couple of good sized USA
      Regiments
      > to oppose the Crown Forces.
      >
      > This would also eliminate the Brits having to cross dress into USA
      garb

      > Just a thot to those Canucks who want to start a re-enactment
      group......
      > _____________
      >
      > War of 1812 Weekend Fort Henry
      >
      > The War of 1812 weekend was held June 27, 28, 29, 2003 at Fort
      Henry,
      > Kingston, Ontario Canada. Fort Henry is located between the cities
      of
      > Montreal and Toronto and overlooks Lake Ontario.
      > Web site: www.forthenry.com
      >
      > This National Historic Site was garrisoned by re-enactors
      representing 1812
      > Crown and American Forces. The re-enactors interpreted various
      aspects of
      > military and civilian life offering a tented encampment, tactical
      drill
      > demonstrations, Officer's duel, historic and music performed by the
      Corps of
      > Drums Crown Forces. As well as military units, historic trade's
      people
      > demonstrated the making of candles, chairs, rope, quilts dolls,
      drawing as
      > well as two working forges.
      >
      > Some in attendance included 1st (Royal Scot)s; 8th (Kings); 49th;
      89th;
      > Canadian Fencibles; Royal Newfoundland Regiment, Royal Artillery,
      27th US
      > and US Militia.
      >
      > This was the first year for this site to offer opposing lines. Even
      though
      > the numbers were low and a cloudburst attacked Sunday's tactical
      most
      > enjoyed the event, site, and view of the lake from the camp on the
      hill.

      > Larry Lozon
    • Rick Peterson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2003
        > John et all;
        Sure could have used more US Troops at Fort Henry last week end!!
        As a matter of fact it would be to the advantage of the 1812 hobby
        in the Great Lakes area to raise a couple of good sized USA Regiments
        to oppose the Crown Forces.
        This would also eliminate the Brits having to cross dress into USA
        garb
        Just a thot to those Canucks who want to start a re-enactment
        group......

        Any Canucks in the Great Lakes area wishing to do a US impression may
        want to think about doing a US Marine impression. The "Northern
        Detachment" of the USMC currently has 3 members, and is slowly
        growing. We are based in the Hamilton/Oakville area in Ontario.
        We are closely tied with the USS Constitution 1812 Marines based in
        Boston who act as an invaluable resource.
        For those considering a US impression, becoming a Marine allows you
        to correctly use your white belting, and Brown Bess as part of your
        equipment (the Marines were issued Besses bought from the Brit.
        gov't).
        Visit them online at:
        http://1812marines.org/

        or contact myself outside the list.