Information request From WWII Forum

  • Len Heidebrecht
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2003
      Hi Listoids,
      This came throught the Canuck Forum and I was wondering if you had
      any comments.
      Any idea who this private soldier might be?
      In addition to this what US colours or flags were captured during the
      war?

      Cheers
      Len

      Capture of a Regimental Colour - Queenston 1812
      June 29 2003

      A private soldier of the 2nd Lincoln Militia captured a regimental
      colour of a New York infantry regiment at Queenston Heights, 13
      October 1812. He was a soldier from one of the two militia companies
      which had forced marched from Chippawa, arriving on the battlefield
      just minutes before the battle. He was seen with the colour wrapped
      around his body, and the design was reported in a Montreal newspaper.
      The colour was sent to the UK and is now framed behind glass in the
      Museum at Chelsea. A replica hangs in the dining room.

      I believe this is a unique occurance in Canadian military history.

      Does anyone know of another instance where a Canadian, serving in a
      Canadian unit, has captured a regimental colour of an enemy? Or a
      standard, such as a Napoleonic Eagle?