US Troops + Fort Henry

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2003
      From: "john harris" <jharris@...>

      " ......... John Harris
      25th US Whiting's Company "
      ------------------------

      John et all;

      Sure could have used more US Troops at Fort Henry last week end!!

      As a matter of fact it would be to the advantage of the 1812 hobby
      in the Great Lakes area to raise a couple of good sized USA Regiments
      to oppose the Crown Forces.

      This would also eliminate the Brits having to cross dress into USA garb

      Just a thot to those Canucks who want to start a re-enactment group......
      _____________

      War of 1812 Weekend Fort Henry

      The War of 1812 weekend was held June 27, 28, 29, 2003 at Fort Henry,
      Kingston, Ontario Canada. Fort Henry is located between the cities of
      Montreal and Toronto and overlooks Lake Ontario.
      Web site: www.forthenry.com

      This National Historic Site was garrisoned by re-enactors representing 1812
      Crown and American Forces. The re-enactors interpreted various aspects of
      military and civilian life offering a tented encampment, tactical drill
      demonstrations, Officer's duel, historic and music performed by the Corps of
      Drums Crown Forces. As well as military units, historic trade's people
      demonstrated the making of candles, chairs, rope, quilts dolls, drawing as
      well as two working forges.

      Some in attendance included 1st (Royal Scot)s; 8th (Kings); 49th; 89th;
      Canadian Fencibles; Royal Newfoundland Regiment, Royal Artillery, 27th US
      and US Militia.

      This was the first year for this site to offer opposing lines. Even though
      the numbers were low and a cloudburst attacked Sunday's tactical most
      enjoyed the event, site, and view of the lake from the camp on the hill.

      Larry Lozon
    • reenactor73
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2003
        This past weekend at Fort Henry was definately a good time. I
        enjoyed myself immensely and hope to return to Fort Henry next year.
        For those who had missed this event I strongly urge you to consider
        this event next year and bring as many with you. As Larry had said
        it was a beautiful camp area with a beautiful view of the lake.

        Karl

      • Rick Peterson
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2, 2003
          > John et all;
          Sure could have used more US Troops at Fort Henry last week end!!
          As a matter of fact it would be to the advantage of the 1812 hobby
          in the Great Lakes area to raise a couple of good sized USA Regiments
          to oppose the Crown Forces.
          This would also eliminate the Brits having to cross dress into USA
          garb
          Just a thot to those Canucks who want to start a re-enactment
          group......

          Any Canucks in the Great Lakes area wishing to do a US impression may
          want to think about doing a US Marine impression. The "Northern
          Detachment" of the USMC currently has 3 members, and is slowly
          growing. We are based in the Hamilton/Oakville area in Ontario.
          We are closely tied with the USS Constitution 1812 Marines based in
          Boston who act as an invaluable resource.
          For those considering a US impression, becoming a Marine allows you
          to correctly use your white belting, and Brown Bess as part of your
          equipment (the Marines were issued Besses bought from the Brit.
          gov't).
          Visit them online at:
          http://1812marines.org/

          or contact myself outside the list.