Re: [WarOf1812] Units and individuals both at Waterloo and at New Orleans

  • Ray Hobbs
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 25, 2003
      Jeez folks, I did not mean to open such a can o' worms ;->) The
      "officer" in question was a junior officer in one of two regiments who
      were nowhere near the Peninsular Campaign or Waterloo. Yet his wife's
      obituary, based on her conversations with her second husband's
      children, claims that this was so.
      As I said before I have more than one such claim from obits of several
      old soldiers who were great heroes of the war of 1812 and every other
      going on at the time.
      I have another in my files from an old soldier of the 41st, William
      Bent, who claims to have been at Queenstown, Fort Niagara (Christmas
      1812 believe it or not) under the command of General Brock, Fort
      Detroit (where he was seriously wounded in his left ear when capturing
      the US flag), was at the storming of Buffalo, Oushley's Farm "near the
      Great Falls of Niagara" - IN THIS PRECISE ORDER. This from an obit
      that appeared in the Newark Advertiser, 25th April, 1866.
      In literary historical terms, there is a 'genre' (type) of literature
      out there which is patently false. One common characteristic is that
      the genre always makes the subject look better than he was, never worse.

      I am looking in to the need for this kind of enhancement of one's, or
      one's loved one's reputation. There are common patterns. Fading
      memory is not a sufficient reason to account for the similarities in
      their patterns.

      Re: the officer in question, noted above. He just does not exist as an
      officer. But the same name does appear as a Private. The name of the
      widow's father - also claimed to be an officer in the same regiment -
      appears as a corporal.

      My thesis - and this takes one into social, rather than military
      history - is that there was an overwhelming need to be recognised in
      Upper Canadian society after the war, and that one's activities in the
      war played a big part in one's social standing. Just follow the career
      of John Strachan, Bishop of Toronto, Allan McNab etc. Susannah
      Moodie's "Roughing it in the Bush" from the 1830s also bears this out.

      I guess that is more than two cents' worth. Ain't history fun?

      Ray

      PS: Of course we all know that Richard Sharpe was just about
      everywhere, including Trafalgar, so there is a precedent for this kind
      of lying. Now I duck to avoid incoming. ;->)

      On Wednesday, June 25, 2003, at 08:43 PM, Larry Lozon wrote:

      > Thanks Rog, that is what I wanted

      <image.tiff>