Re: Infantry equipment: Brit. rifle powder horns

  • Roger Fuller
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2 7:43 PM
      Robert and list,

      if the British Rifle Regts. are any indication, they started out with
      beautiful, brass fitted horns with spring fittings and pre-measured pouring
      spouts, but they often broke, despite their periodic repeated issue by
      battalion, esp. in the first decade of the 19th century. In fact horns
      aren't seen too much in illustrations of the 95th made _at the time_ after
      1809. I can't think of a one.

      The Rifleman was always expected to "make do", and to find his own best
      system of loading and firing. In the field, local supplies of cowhorns were
      used, fitted with a simple wooden plug or stopper. The measure was either a
      piece of cow horn tip or a brass tube on a cord. Individual riflemen
      purchased small priming horns of their own if so desired, but they were not
      issued to privates by the regiment. (NCOs might be another matter.)

      In time the riflemen used pre-rolled blank cartridges in conjuction with
      separate patched ball to prime and load their Bakers much more quickly. In
      effect, many riflemen eventually eschewed the horn for loading, but some
      kept them as additional portable, waterproof powder carriers for loading new
      cartridges. Loading cartridges _with ball_ a la muskets was frowned upon as
      it fouled the rifling very quickly, rendering the rifle a musket. (Paper
      makes a poor patch as it tears much more easily than thin leather or linen.)
      It took a lot of cleaning and scraping to get that lead out of the barrel
      before accurate aimed fire was again possible.

      Roger Fuller