Re:Why are you a re-enactor?

  • Five Rivers
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4 2:11 AM
      Very timely question, Larry, because Gary and I have been asking that
      question of ourselves a lot lately.

      The first response to it, the gut-reaction response, is: For the love of
      history.

      The second is: In quest of the answer to, "How did they do that?"

      And we realized that for us the reason we re-enact history is primarly
      out of a marriage of those two loves. For us historical re-enactment goes
      way beyond the event. We spend a great deal of time quite outside of an
      'event' involved in history. You could say that history and re-enacting have
      become part of our lives and our livelihoods. Not that we have any burning
      desire to live 'back then', whether that 'back' is as a 15th century cooper
      who serves as an archer in Henry V's army at Agincourt and a retired
      Venetian spice merchant (that's me), or as a Regency village cooper in Upper
      Canada and embroideress/seamstress (me again). We rather like modern
      antibiotics, cleaning devices, double-glazed windows and central heating,
      thank you. But we also have an enormous respect and regard for the
      tradespeople of history, for the mercantile class, and common folk, for
      their skills, their tenacity and their ability to create unsurpassed beauty
      with basic technology. For us it is humbling to rediscover their lives.

      Regards
      Lorina
      supplies
      (519) 799-5577, fax (519) 799-5418 http://www.5rivers.org email: