Ft. George

  • john harris
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 3, 2003
      Okay, I asked last week and I'm going to ask again . Does anyone have any info on the "alleged" event at Ft. George for this year? I know it's on the listing, BUT , is there any hard copy out there ? Once again, did I miss something in the mail? Is this just a wish amongst us? Does anyone know anything at all?? Am I just being a A-hole about this? Please any info by anyone would be appreciated . It's getting to the point where some of us won't be able to make it because we have to book time of work .
      DAVE WEBB , ANY PARK'S CANADA STAFF MEMBER, ANYONE WITH ANY INFORMATION THAT IS NOT RUMOUR, THEORY, OR PRESUMPTION PLEASE MAKE AN "OFFICIAL" ANNOUNCEMENT SO THAT WE CAN PLAN FOR THIS !!!

      If I am persona-non-grata , then I thank you for your time. BUT , without any confirmed information, the US line will be VERY small ( worse than usual ) .
      Thank you for your time
      John Harris
      25th US Whiting's Company

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 4, 2003
        From: "john harris" <jharris@...>

        Does anyone have any info on the "alleged" event at Ft. George for this
        year?

        --------------

        John

        found this at

        http://www.parkscanada.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/on/fortgeorge/ne/ne1_E.asp

        1812 Weekend July 19-20

        See hundreds of soldiers from the War of 1812 relive these dramatic times.
        Battle re-enactments, craft and camp life demonstrations, sutlers and
        artisans, children's activities, a Saturday night period tavern, and much
        more.

        also

        http://www.parkscanada.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/on/fortgeorge/visit/index_E.asp

        has contacts for

        How to reach us:

        Heritage Presentation Supervisors:

        etc.
      • John
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 4, 2003
          In case the Ft George event on 7/19-20 does not work for some folks,
          there is a new 1812 event that same weekend in Southern Ohio at
          Caesar's Creek Pioneer Village (about 20 miles SE of Dayton). This
          is a first time event - don't know if is to be repeated next year or
          if it is just a special Ohio 200th Anniversary event. Could use some
          Brits for targets if anyone is interested.

          John Wierzbicki
          Michigan Militia

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@n...> wrote:

          > From: "john harris" <jharris@p...>
          >
          > Does anyone have any info on the "alleged" event at Ft. George for
          this
          > year?
          >
          > --------------
          >
          > John
          >
          > found this at
          >
          > http://www.parkscanada.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/on/fortgeorge/ne/ne1_E.asp
          >

          > 1812 Weekend July 19-20
          >
          > See hundreds of soldiers from the War of 1812 relive these dramatic
          times.
          > Battle re-enactments, craft and camp life demonstrations, sutlers
          and
          > artisans, children's activities, a Saturday night period tavern,
          and much
          > more.
          >
          > also
          >
          > http://www.parkscanada.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/on/fortgeorge/visit/index_E.asp
          >
          > has contacts for
          >
          > How to reach us:
          >
          > Heritage Presentation Supervisors:
          >
          > etc.
        • David Webb
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 4, 2003
            Hello John and list,
            This is just to assure everyone that the Fort George event is still a
            go, and information packages will be mailed this week. Ron Dale should
            have some at Stoney Creek this weekend. We are late with these and I
            apologize to all.
            This has been a very different and somewhat difficult year for us, and I
            am sure for many heritage institutions. Internally, we have been going
            through something scary and difficult called a "sustainable business plan,"
            and pretty much everything we do was on the table until fairly
            recently. We have had a real battle to keep our operating season, our
            staff, our programmes and our events. It is pretty tough when people are
            saying things like, "Wouldn't Fort George be better as a ruins experience?"
            and "We want to see you bleed too!" It has been especially tough on the
            staff who have worked so hard to deliver educational programmes, such as
            the our sleepover and day programmes. This has consumed a lot of energy
            and some of the decisions and comments have been taken pretty hard. We
            will have to review all of this again in the Fall.
            The good news is that our event is on, and we will be able to provide
            meals on Saturday and Sunday as in the past. Also, as in the past there
            will be no fee charged for sutlers, who are very welcome. Anyone who has
            ideas, suggestions, comments, should feel free to let me know what you
            would like to see changed. So far the suggestions include:
            --Raw food/rations in lieu of lunches/breakfast. How do people feel about this?
            --Tall grass vs short grass for battlefield. How about something in
            between? Locations of battles?
            --Sutlers to relocate outside the fort to a shaded area? This was
            suggested last year, and I am certainly open to this, but we will need to
            map out a suitable location. Security might be a bit of a concern.
            --Access to our kitchen: This can and has been done in the past, but for
            safety and liability reasons I have to have a staff person there too.
            --Blacksmith Shop: Same as the kitchen.
            --This winter there was a discussion regarding more civilian/distaff
            activities and involvement at events. We have used the Officer's Quarters
            hall and the shaded front fenced areas as demonstration/display areas in
            the past, and could easily schedule some additional activities between
            battles. How about a fashion show not just with soldiers? A Farb
            contest where the public would have to spot the inaccuracies/modern
            intrusions? Any people/groups that want to pursue something should get in
            touch.

            --David Webb (905) 468-6612 or David.Webb@...

            -- At 09:33 PM 03/06/2003 -0400, you wrote:
            >Okay, I asked last week and I'm going to ask again . Does anyone have any
            >info on the "alleged" event at Ft. George for this year? I know it's on
            >the listing, BUT , is there any hard copy out there ? Once again, did I
            >miss something in the mail? Is this just a wish amongst us? Does anyone
            >know anything at all?? Am I just being a A-hole about this? Please any
            >info by anyone would be appreciated . It's getting to the point where some
            >of us won't be able to make it because we have to book time of work .
            > DAVE WEBB , ANY PARK'S CANADA STAFF MEMBER, ANYONE WITH ANY
            > INFORMATION THAT IS NOT RUMOUR, THEORY, OR PRESUMPTION PLEASE MAKE AN
            > "OFFICIAL" ANNOUNCEMENT SO THAT WE CAN PLAN FOR THIS !!!
            >
            >If I am persona-non-grata , then I thank you for your time. BUT , without
            >any confirmed information, the US line will be VERY small ( worse than
            >usual ) .
            >Thank you for your time
            >John Harris
            >25th US Whiting's Company

            >of square miles...

          • Tracy
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 5, 2003
              Hi David and other event planners

              Tall grass vs short grass; here is my opinion SHORT grass I wrote
              before how long grass takes away from the devestation of the death
              and injured of the battles because from the sidelines after a soldier
              falls down we can't see them laying there.

              However on a health note since we have West Nile in Ontario and we
              are having a very wet spring as well as other health worries tourists
              and the specators are staying home and staying out of areas that
              would put them at risk of getting what ever the news says is ailing
              us that day! so standing in a field of long grass that could have
              either Ticks( which I heard this year is a bad year for them also)or
              mosquitoes will only bring floundering attendence numbers down even
              more.
              I as a dedicated spectator prefer grass that is short with the
              present mosquito problem......Last year we had West Nile but now we
              hear about it all the time.
              I am not a whimp I spent the last three weekends camping with Cubs in
              tents in the rain ,.I am concerned about the low attendence of the
              historical museums in the Niagara Area .

              To David
              A FARB fashion show would be alot of fun as well as activities for
              kids between the battles.Making Candy cartridges always goes over
              well.
              Tracy
              PS spectators don't really notice that the cut grass is not athentic
              and it is also less attractive for mosquitos.Back then there was
              swamp fever from mosquitos i don't think any spector would want it to
              be that athentic!

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, David Webb <alderweb@v...> wrote:
              . Anyone who has
              > ideas, suggestions, comments, should feel free to let me know what
              you
              > would like to see changed. So far the suggestions include:
              > --Raw food/rations in lieu of lunches/breakfast. How do people feel
              about this?
              > --Tall grass vs short grass for battlefield. How about something
              in
              > between? Locations of battles?
              > --Sutlers to relocate outside the fort to a shaded area? This was
              > suggested last year, and I am certainly open to this, but we will
              need to
              > map out a suitable location. Security might be a bit of a concern.
              > --Access to our kitchen: This can and has been done in the past,
              but for
              > safety and liability reasons I have to have a staff person there
              too.
              > --Blacksmith Shop: Same as the kitchen.
              > --This winter there was a discussion regarding more
              civilian/distaff
              > activities and involvement at events. We have used the Officer's
              Quarters
              > hall and the shaded front fenced areas as demonstration/display
              areas in
              > the past, and could easily schedule some additional activities
              between
              > battles. How about a fashion show not just with soldiers? A
              Farb
              > contest where the public would have to spot the inaccuracies/modern
              > intrusions? Any people/groups that want to pursue something should
              get in
              > touch.
              >
              > --David Webb (905) 468-6612 or David.Webb@p...

            • David Webb
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 7, 2003
                Thanks for your thoughts on the grass issue. We are certainly aware of the
                bug aspect and will review what we are doing. There is also a fire hazard
                in July. By the end of Saturday, thought, the troops had pretty much
                trampled the grass down. Perhaps something less tall, but not quite golf
                course like. Are there any other opinions? --Dave Webb At 04:31 AM

              • Susan Spencer McLean
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 9, 2003
                  David Webb wrote:

                  >--Sutlers to relocate outside the fort to a shaded area? This was
                  >suggested last year, and I am certainly open to this, but we will need to
                  >map out a suitable location. Security might be a bit of a concern.

                  Yes, please -- this came up in several discussions over this past
                  weekend. In general, the sutlers have missed the bulk of the people who
                  turn up for the battles because they're outside the fort and we're
                  inside (sometimes locked in). Being somewhere that they can easily
                  access us before and after the battle would be most appreciated.

                  Of course, there are two other concerns for us -- we don't want to be so
                  far away from the re-enactors that they don't come to visit (witness the
                  first Battle of Georgian Bay), and as you point out, there is a security
                  issue after hours. I'm not sure how to address either of these -- is
                  there perhaps a spot that's in good view and easy access on the road
                  side of the fort, while being not too far a walk from the camps? Could
                  your security folk perhaps add a loop to their evening rounds while
                  we're there?

                  -- Sioux
                • David Webb
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 11, 2003
                    Hello Sioux,
                    I don't think you were at Fort George last summer, but we cut a gate in
                    the palisade between the battlefield and the fort. This made it possible
                    for the public to see the battle, and then move directly into the fort with
                    ease. This meant that most of those who came for battles returned by the
                    fort, or went there first. The gates were never closed.
                    If you are outside the fort, there are two shaded areas that might work
                    out--- The first choice is in front of the visitor centre, where you would
                    catch most of the visitors going into the fort when the battles are not
                    raging, and you would be near Wolf's group. The second choice would be
                    farther west of this area, nearer the field parking area. This would be
                    farther from the fort, but would get the crowd just coming for the
                    battle. I sort of prefer the first spot since this would give you better
                    shade, and ground, and you will get visitors coming and going. People
                    rushing to the battle might not stop to look at your products.
                    We place a commissionaire in the parking lot, and this should help with
                    security. I have staff who stay over all night, and they also are available.
                    Is there a sutler nearby who could walk the ground? I am happy to meet
                    someone to do this, and there might be a better location. I can buy lunch.

                    On another note, mailings just went out. If you do not get this by next
                    week, please let me know, and we will send one out to you. I can send the
                    registration form to anyone who wishes this also, as a word
                    attachment. That way you do not have to pay postage.
                    Dave Webb

                    At 08:23 AM 09/06/2003 -0400, you wrote:
                    >David Webb wrote:
                    >
                    > >--Sutlers to relocate outside the fort to a shaded area? This was
                    > >suggested last year, and I am certainly open to this, but we will need to
                    > >map out a suitable location. Security might be a bit of a concern.
                    > >

                    >Yes, please -- this came up in several discussions over this past
                    >weekend. In general, the sutlers have missed the bulk of the people who
                    >turn up for the battles because they're outside the fort and we're
                    >inside (sometimes locked in). Being somewhere that they can easily
                    >access us before and after the battle would be most appreciated.
                    >
                    >Of course, there are two other concerns for us -- we don't want to be so
                    >far away from the re-enactors that they don't come to visit (witness the
                    >first Battle of Georgian Bay), and as you point out, there is a security
                    >issue after hours. I'm not sure how to address either of these -- is
                    >there perhaps a spot that's in good view and easy access on the road
                    >side of the fort, while being not too far a walk from the camps? Could
                    >your security folk perhaps add a loop to their evening rounds while
                    >we're there?
                    >
                    >-- Sioux

                    >of square miles...

                  • Susan Spencer McLean
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 11, 2003
                      Thanks for the reply, Dave -- I agree with you that the first spot
                      sounds best, especially if there's a commissionaire around for security.
                      I was just speaking with Sutler Cyrus, and he agrees as well. The shade
                      would definitely be a most welcome change from our usual spot on the
                      high veldt!

                      What do the other sutlers (who are familiar with the site) on the list
                      think?

                      I'll contact you off-list re: finding a sutler to walk the site with you.

                      Your consideration and concern for our well-being is very much appreciated.

                      -- Sioux
                      Mrs. McLean's Mercantile
                    • roy winders
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 18, 2011
                        On behalf of the B.I.D. I would like to offer our heartfelt thanks to the staff, vollunteers
                        and the crown forces for all their hard work in making the Ft.George event one of the best,
                        I would also like to thank Mr.Twist for allowing us the honour of  being the first to die,
                        also Thanks to Mike Jansen's boys for helping us briefly scare the defenders of the fort.
                        Congratulations to the 41st on the debut of those beautiful colours.
                        This just keeps getting better.
                        Roy Winders, Capt. B.I.D.

                      • tom4141fournier
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 18, 2011
                          Thanks Roy! Congratulations on your "Oscar" Wish we could have been inside to see it although your carcasses still looked pretty impressive as we roared past

                          Tom