Re: [WarOf1812] "Why are you a re-enactor?"

  • PEGGY MATHEWS
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2003
      Assuming this is going no further, then in the order they popped into my
      head: (if this has any other purpose than curiosity please let me know
      first)

      1. The smell of gunpowder and the sound of explosions.
      2. "Testing myself" i.e. can I do without [fill in the blank] for a weekend?
      3. Keeping the memories alive, respecting those who went before us.
      4. History addict, so this is live action role-playing.
      5. Social exchange and fellowship, though this seems to be limited to
      whatever side you are on. As a generalization people take the nationalities
      WAY too serious after hours.
      6. Something to share with my wife. Yes, she loves it and share the
      passion. The fact that her degree in textile design and my history interest
      dovetail together is a bonus.
      7. Educate the damn fools out there. As a teacher I'm taught to say there
      is no such thing as a stupid question. Sorry, whoever wrote than never met
      a "touron" (tourist/moron cross) at an event. It just staggers me how
      ignorant the average American can be. And embarrasses me was well.
      8. Fantasy fulfillment, though this ties into number four.
      9. Having an excuse to go to neat places and see the land.

      They've stopped popping, so there ya go. One shy of a David Letterman Top
      Ten List.

      Cheers,
      Michael

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 4, 2003
        Because I have no friends

        P**
        I was asked an interesting question over the weekend

        "Why are you a Re- enactor?

        I talked this question over with a few friends in the hobby
        and we all agreed that after the buffoonery, jokes and BS
        the truth would come out ...........

        What is your answer to this question?

        "Why are you a re-enactor?"

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        square miles...

      • Des Miller
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 4, 2003
          Hi,

          Well I guess why I am becoming a re-enactor is pretty
          simple... I LOVE history, I know far to many people
          who believe that history is something boring and
          stuffy, something that would be best served as
          vignettes between periods of the playoffs.

          *insert patriotic music here*
          I believe that the only way to understand what our
          forefathers went through is to try in some small way
          to re-create aspects of it. Perhaps because I am
          still new to the hobby the light is still in my eyes,
          but if I can educate just one visitor at an event that
          North America is the way it is today because of the
          people whose lives we briefly dust off once a month or
          so and showcase, then I am happy.

          *end music*

          Just my opinion though.

          Des.
          21st U.S. Infantry

          =====
          Animadvertistine, ubicumque stes, fumum recta in faciem ferri?

          http://search.yahoo.com